Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Schooner Street Brewery

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Schooner Street Brewery

Post by S. St. Jeb »

According to these stories in Canadian Beer News, these guys had beer available in licensed establishments over a year ago, had beer available in cans last summer, and have now opened their own location in Waterloo.

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2022/0 ... ned-beers/

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2023/1 ... o-ontario/

So....good for them....but.....I don't want to be cynical, but when you go to their website, some things are not sitting well with me.

First, they aren't very specific about what they make or what is available.

Beers
Check out what we are brewing in our facility. We often have many beers in process with a variety of styles and taste. Everything we make today is small batch to learn and grow our list of staple beers we will one day share with the world.

What's brewing?
There is always something new and tasty being brewed at the brewery. Ask us about our samples and come on in and visit us.

OK, maybe I'm just being picky.

Second, they sure have a lot of details about the merch that they have available. I remember somewhere on this forum someone making the point that they aren't impressed when merch seems to get more attention than the beer, and that point is coming back to my mind.

But what bothers me most is the blurb on their home page. It comes off to me as being very pretentious. They just opened, but they seem to be positioning themselves as a beyond belief destination that you just have to go see. Puts me off.

I am curious if others see it this way too.....but don't worry, I am open to other opinions. :wink:

@MatttthewGeorge
This is close to you. If you happen to have the chance and inclination to stop by, I'd be interested in your opinion.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 3:43 pm
But what bothers me most is the blurb on their home page. It comes off to me as being very pretentious. They just opened, but they seem to be positioning themselves as a beyond belief destination that you just have to go see. Puts me off.

I am curious if others see it this way too.....but don't worry, I am open to other opinions. :wink:
That blurb reads like it was written by ChatGPT. Kind of a weird wordy vagueness that it does for this kind of thing.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

It could have been written by one of the boyfriends/girlfriends padding their resume, but Chat GPT seems about right.

I didn't bother going to their website (shame on me), but based on what I just read here, they must have pretty sticky floors or puddles. I bet they are 'dropping' new beers all the time.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

"Our private members' tap room is an exclusive haven, accessible by invitation only, ensuring an intimate setting for those seeking a truly distinctive experience."

All I can say is LOL! Definitely comes across as a style over substance endeavour at this point. Hopefully they brew good enough beers to back up all that fluff. Also as mentioned, the fact that the first navigation link is for "buy cool merch" and don't even have a dedicated section for beers is telling...

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I know a little bit more on this...

These guys (3 brothers and a brother-in-law) started brewing in a garage. 1-3 of the brothers own the building the brewery is now in and hired the brother-in-law to manage the property, brew the beer, and get the brewery open. At the same time they were trying to open a farm brewery just down the road on Northfield Dr. AND AT THE SAME TIME they had partnered with Jim Brickman to make a beer schnapps (Rocket Hop).

A few years later (about a year ago), still unable to get the farm brewery going and red tape regarding the beer schnapps hampering the brewery getting open, they were allowed to can and sell to restaurants. Then days before the brewery was about to open (a few months ago) they parted ways with their brother-in-law (read: fired) and decided to open the brewery on Saturday's only, and the rest of the week the place is to be used for private events or, if you buy a membership, you can come to the brewery during members-only times. Basically they're turned into a private club/brewery with 1 day a week open to the public and rental options available.

I have had many of the beers in cans brewed (mainly) by the brother-in-law. I haven't had anything since he was let go, nor have I gone to the brewery, so I cannot comment on the current offerings nor the brewery itself.

Also, as for the Rocket Hop, it is being sold at the brewery (I believe) and at the Old Galt Bottle Shop, however my source tells me he thinks they may be selling it illegally (ie the permits to sell have not gone through as of the time they started selling it at Old Galt). He also tells me it's been doctored many times over with flavourings, colourings, etc. as it was a terrible product (and still is - it's gross!).
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Sounds like it’s destined to fail.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:23 pm Sounds like it’s destined to fail.
I wouldn't be so sure. The building they are in, which houses other businesses including their own, is what makes the money. The brewery is just a side project, a play-thing.

Sure the novelty could wear off, but I wouldn't write it off just yet.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Definitely a major factor if they own the building and have other sources of income.

A neighbourhood brewery this is not!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/haWh3HH2qgTp1Mbf6

(no offence to industrial park breweries of course!)