Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm sure they can, but it's not terribly popular stuff.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Craig wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:10 pm I'm sure they can, but it's not terribly popular stuff.
Curious if all the breweries and others talking about it are just trying to will it into popularity, or if folks are actually drinking it.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I bet people are drinking it, but not in quantities that merit space on variety store shelves.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Probably has a lot to do with perception. I'm really enjoying NA beers right now, I've probably cut my regular beer intake down by about half going into this year, but I still don't find myself wanting one in a situation where I normally wouldn't have a beer. For instance I could technically sit at my desk and drink a bunch of them while working, but something about that just doesn't feel... right.

I do believe their popularity is going to skyrocket though, especially if more breweries put out ones that are as good as Rouge River's. Guinness seemed to be having trouble keeping their 0% in stock, it wasn't available anywhere for weeks back in December.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I know it's just one case, but I have a friend who decided to give up drinking over a year ago. His normal potions were macro lagers. He is regularly trying different NA beers and reports that they all basically suck. He's a serious foodie, so if he can't find something that meets the taste baseline of a Budweiser, I don't have a lot of confidence in this category. :-?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

A lot suck, to be fair. I'd say there's a bit of an adjustment of expectation that's required as well. I've found styles that have been less convincing are those that don't have things like dark malts or hops to "hide" behind, so if his baseline is macro lagers I can see it being tougher to find a good analog. Guinness 0.0 is very close to the real thing, and blind I'd bet most people couldn't tell Rouge River's IPA was non-alc, but those don't sound like the styles your friend would enjoy.

And believe me, I was extremely skeptical of the category and ignored it for a long time. Sorting through the crap can be tiring, but I'll be happy if I can find 3-5 different good ones to throw into the rotation to cut back on my overall intake.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Drink kvass style, less expensive and after acquiring the taste fun stuff too.
Reliable Beer Critic

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

northyorksammy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:49 pm Drink kvass style, less expensive and after acquiring the taste fun stuff too.
You make your own?
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I've seen N/A beer at an increasing number of quick-service places and boutique stores. But one reason I don't usually buy them when I'm out and about (or say, getting lunch at the office) is because I don't want people thinking I'm drinking the real deal!

Also, I find it needs to be poured into proper glassware, sometimes even more so than real beers: those suckers can be pretty foamy.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Royal City has just released one that’s really quite solid.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Here's what's coming to the fest at the Only...

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

How was the NOLO fest? Well received?

Anyone else tried the RR jazz hands and care to share their thoughts on it?
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Jordan had a good write up about the event: https://www.goodfoodrevolution.com/expe ... only-cafe/

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

dale cannon wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:30 am Anyone else tried the RR jazz hands and care to share their thoughts on it?
There's already 3-4 comments in this thread about how good Jazz Hands is.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:46 am
dale cannon wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:30 am Anyone else tried the RR jazz hands and care to share their thoughts on it?
There's already 3-4 comments in this thread about how good Jazz Hands is.
I sought supplementary opinions with a sincere intention to reach a consensus on the product’s merits. If my actions inadvertently breached any social conventions, I extend my heartfelt apologies.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.