Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Breweries closing and/or restructuring and/or bought out

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:51 pm
phat matt wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:38 am Just noticed that Little Beasts Brewery has been closed for 5 weeks now without an update. Doesn't look promising for them.
Good news, they just posted to their Instagram account and they'll be reopening. Dates TBD.

I believe it is under new ownership as I understand owner and head brewer Erin was stepping away, although I don't know definitively.

I am certainly happy to hear they're reopening though, as they've been a favourite of mine in Durham Region.
Little Beasts ownership update:

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Definitely great to hear, Little Beasts was one of my regular spots. Positive brewery news is always nice to hear these days.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Apparently Mash Paddle in Brantford is closed, but will be re-opening under new ownership, new name, new everything? Anyone know any details?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

distr0 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:53 pm Apparently Mash Paddle in Brantford is closed, but will be re-opening under new ownership, new name, new everything? Anyone know any details?
No, but I did see a picture of the new branding/name. Not a great thing to judge a book by its cover, but……….

distr0

Post by distr0 »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:19 pm
distr0 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:53 pm Apparently Mash Paddle in Brantford is closed, but will be re-opening under new ownership, new name, new everything? Anyone know any details?
No, but I did see a picture of the new branding/name. Not a great thing to judge a book by its cover, but……….
Yeaaah, big oof on that name and branding. Does not give me high hopes. Is it 'Sassy Bitches' or 'Sassy Britches'? Either way -

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.7079261

A different approach from a brewery in Alberta. Didn't someone else try something like this a while back in Ontario? It sounds familiar, but I can't quite recall.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Craig wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:22 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.7079261

A different approach from a brewery in Alberta. Didn't someone else try something like this a while back in Ontario? It sounds familiar, but I can't quite recall.
Beaus did something similar. I recall it was to raise capital to put in renewable energy upgrades. I'm not sure if those investors got anything out of it or had a word in the sale to Steamwhistle. I'm guessing they are out of pocket.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Tapsucker wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:31 pm
Craig wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:22 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.7079261

Beaus did something similar. I recall it was to raise capital to put in renewable energy upgrades. I'm not sure if those investors got anything out of it or had a word in the sale to Steamwhistle. I'm guessing they are out of pocket.
They did an Employee Stock Ownership Plan, and those shareholders did vote on the sale to Steamwhistle. I wonder what kind of return on investment those employees got?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Oh, they had the Greener Futures thing too, which was a membership subscription for some beer if I remember right.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

South River Brewing:

https://southriverbrewing.ca/
IMPORTANT ANNOUCEMENT! It is with heavy hearts that we announce the closing of South River Brewing Co. As I reach my 20th birthday (Feb 29) I feel that it is time to take a break and after consultation with partners we have decided to close the operation. We have been negotiating with a series of buyers over the last year and are still in talks with several groups. However, we are uncertain that these discussions will yield a positive result in the near term. We want to assure you that we are taking all necessary steps to ensure that the transition is as smooth as possible for everyone involved. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all agencies and institutions that helped us get as far as we have and who have supported us though a very difficult last 4 years. As well, we are grateful for the trust, confidence and support of our customers and fellow brewers for whom we have manufactured and canned product. I am especially grateful to my partners Martin and Bernie Liehs whose patience, engineering skills and technical support have been the essential elements in keeping the operation going. We are especially grateful to our operations team at the brewery who have managed to deliver very efficient results, fantastic quality product, some innovative new products as well as stellar initiatives to develop new business. Our retail store will remain open until February 29, 2024. Please stop in and take advantage of some great savings on the beer you love! We are truly grateful for all the support and assistance that has been provided. Thank you again for your support and understanding. Dwayne Wanner President South River Brewing Co

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Cass wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:22 pm South River Brewing:

IMPORTANT ANNOUCEMENT! It is with heavy hearts that we announce the closing of South River Brewing Co. As I reach my 20th birthday (Feb 29) I feel that it is time to take a break and after consultation with partners we have decided to close the operation. We have been negotiating with a series of buyers over the last year and are still in talks with several groups. However, we are uncertain that these discussions will yield a positive result in the near term. We want to assure you that we are taking all necessary steps to ensure that the transition is as smooth as possible for everyone involved. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all agencies and institutions that helped us get as far as we have and who have supported us though a very difficult last 4 years. As well, we are grateful for the trust, confidence and support of our customers and fellow brewers for whom we have manufactured and canned product. I am especially grateful to my partners Martin and Bernie Liehs whose patience, engineering skills and technical support have been the essential elements in keeping the operation going. We are especially grateful to our operations team at the brewery who have managed to deliver very efficient results, fantastic quality product, some innovative new products as well as stellar initiatives to develop new business. Our retail store will remain open until February 29, 2024. Please stop in and take advantage of some great savings on the beer you love! We are truly grateful for all the support and assistance that has been provided. Thank you again for your support and understanding. Dwayne Wanner President South River Brewing Co
I don't think I have even heard of this brewery, but I have to be impressed and commend someone for opening and running a brewery as a teenager!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Tapsucker wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:38 pm
Cass wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:22 pm South River Brewing:

IMPORTANT ANNOUCEMENT! It is with heavy hearts that we announce the closing of South River Brewing Co. As I reach my 20th birthday (Feb 29)
I don't think I have even heard of this brewery, but I have to be impressed and commend someone for opening and running a brewery as a teenager!
February 29th comes but once every four years. :wink:

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yes I do believe it is a leap year birthday joke :)

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/sout ... ng-8168453

I think I had only heard of them by compiling the OBDI.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I mean, it's also pretty impressive to run a brewery at 80.

If you're wondering who this brewery is, they used to be known as Highlander.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

When did they rebrand? I swear I just bought some of that Highlander Smoked Porter the other day. Indeed it's currently listed in the LCBO right now.