Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

El Pinguino wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:07 pm The Italian Pils from Untitled Art is probably the best NA pils I've tried so far, if you can find it.
One of the best NA beers I've had, and I've had about half of what you've sampled.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

El Pinguino wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:33 pm On the NOLO fest, I thought Jazz Dance was mediocre. It was tasty, but had that lemony taste that a LOT of non-alcoholic IPAs have and starts to feel generic over time. I've tried probably about 300 NA beers, and have another 50 or so here to go through in the coming months, and that is one thing I notice in a lot of the IPAs, is a zippy/zesty/lemony taste that dominates.
I too have noticed that lemony taste in a lot of NAIPA's (Collective Arts and Bellwoods come to mind off the top of my head) but I didn't remember it with Jazz Hands, so I had a can last night. It definitely has an undertone of it but I think it's much more complex than the previous ones I've mentioned. With those all I get is the lemony taste with a hop water like hop essence. With Jazz Hands I get more of the real hop flavours I would get in a normal IPA with just that lemony-ness underneath. To each there own, but I think JH is top tier for the style.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I'd have to agree Jazz Hands is still one of the best I've tried and has the most complex hop profile, as well as being the most convincing.

I tried Collective Arts NA IPA the other night and that one was lemony. Woo boy, like lemon drops. I did like it overall, but as I drank it I started to get a bit of a medicinal bitterness. Reminded me of lemon Halls or something. It was also an older can though- definitely want to find some fresher examples.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:42 pm
El Pinguino wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:33 pm On the NOLO fest, I thought Jazz Dance was mediocre. It was tasty, but had that lemony taste that a LOT of non-alcoholic IPAs have and starts to feel generic over time. I've tried probably about 300 NA beers, and have another 50 or so here to go through in the coming months, and that is one thing I notice in a lot of the IPAs, is a zippy/zesty/lemony taste that dominates.
I too have noticed that lemony taste in a lot of NAIPA's (Collective Arts and Bellwoods come to mind off the top of my head) but I didn't remember it with Jazz Hands, so I had a can last night. It definitely has an undertone of it but I think it's much more complex than the previous ones I've mentioned. With those all I get is the lemony taste with a hop water like hop essence. With Jazz Hands I get more of the real hop flavours I would get in a normal IPA with just that lemony-ness underneath. To each there own, but I think JH is top tier for the style.
Good to hear. I did buy a can, and have it in my fridge now, so I will give Jazz Dance another try. Even at a NA fest, your taste buds get wonky over time and I had that one towards the end of my time at the event.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

seangm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:41 am I'd have to agree Jazz Hands is still one of the best I've tried and has the most complex hop profile, as well as being the most convincing.

I tried Collective Arts NA IPA the other night and that one was lemony. Woo boy, like lemon drops. I did like it overall, but as I drank it I started to get a bit of a medicinal bitterness. Reminded me of lemon Halls or something. It was also an older can though- definitely want to find some fresher examples.
Ya Sobr Market is great. Some of the Mash Gang stuff they get is wild. Happy they're in Toronto now as shipping costs form them were high. They're actually taking over the entire Beatrice Society location on Richmond St soon, I'm curious what they'll do with it. I imagine that will be a fairly high rent cost to cover only selling NA booze products.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

El Pinguino wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:45 pm
seangm wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:41 am I'd have to agree Jazz Hands is still one of the best I've tried and has the most complex hop profile, as well as being the most convincing.

Ya Sobr Market is great. Some of the Mash Gang stuff they get is wild. Happy they're in Toronto now as shipping costs form them were high. They're actually taking over the entire Beatrice Society location on Richmond St soon, I'm curious what they'll do with it. I imagine that will be a fairly high rent cost to cover only selling NA booze products.
Oh wow, yea it's quite the space. I'm guessing margins are still decent on NA stuff? A lot prices seem similar to regular alcoholic equivalents. I imagine they'll keep the cafe going as well.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

El Pinguino wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:45 pm

Expensive shipping. Guess I'll wait until the next time I'm in Toronto to buy direct.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

El Pinguino wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:05 pm
dale cannon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:29 pm
It was a weak attempt at deadpan humour on my part. All good brother.

In the article about The Only NOLO event St. John also had positive feedback on Jazz Hands. I’ll have to get my jazz hands on some.

Recently tried the Sierra Nevada Trail Pass IPA. I was looking forward to this one based on initial reviews but wound up mildly disappointed. It was thinner than I’d anticipated, and had a hint of the regrettable raw wort flavour that is nearly always present in these. It had decent but relatively faint hop aroma and was certainly enjoyable, but still a far cry from say, Sam Adams just the haze as far as reasonable facsimiles of leaded IPA go.

The Sierra Nevada hop splash on the other hand exceeded my expectations. I anticipated deciding that hop water was no more than an overpriced fad. When you’re not going in ready to compare with true beer, you can focus more on the positives. Bright hop aroma and flavour with a satisfying mineral bite and refreshing. Hop water will be in the fridge going forward.

I have a shipment inbound containing:
Sam Adams gold rush
Sierra Nevada trail pass golden
Rescue club ipa
Alesmith speedway stout NA
Lord hobo life
Flying dog deep fake
Brooklyn special effects ipa
Lagunitas hop refresher

Will share thoughts once consumed.
I've had most of those, but curious about the Alesmith and Flying Dog.
Flying Dog Deepfake IPA: If you think of this as a juicy golden ale instead of as an IPA, it is a delicious and satisfying beverage. Lot's of fruit, some lemon, grassy hops, sweet, golden muddled cloudy appearance. Almost a toned down version of SA Just the Haze.

Alesmith Speedway NA: Nice billowing mocha head. American stout aromas abound. Taste is coffee, a bit of chocolate and lots of cola (I get a lot of cola in NA stouts). Some roasted malt, not much if any hops to speak of. Body is medium, better than most NA stouts I've tried in that respect.

Both were quite enjoyable in their own right and I'd recommend you try. They also scored very well in the "does it feel like I'm having some beers" department.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Interesting article about non-alcoholic beer. I didn't know much about the brewing process and this article goes into several ways that breweries are approaching brewing non-alcoholic beers. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68138944

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

For any folk in Durham or passing through, Town has an non-alcoholic lager right now and it's really good. It's simple, pretty much drinks like an American light lager, but it's convincing and doesn't have any strange flavours. Hoping NA releases become a regular occurrence from them if they can pull it off this well.

Also tried the Peroni and it's not bad. It tastes like a whatever Euro lager, sure, but it's very convincing compared to the real thing. And cheap too if you get it from Costco ($35 for 24 IIRC). Can see this being a good one for summer BBQs when I've gotta drive home.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

seangm wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:44 am For any folk in Durham or passing through, Town has an non-alcoholic lager right now and it's really good. It's simple, pretty much drinks like an American light lager, but it's convincing and doesn't have any strange flavours. Hoping NA releases become a regular occurrence from them if they can pull it off this well.

Also tried the Peroni and it's not bad. It tastes like a whatever Euro lager, sure, but it's very convincing compared to the real thing. And cheap too if you get it from Costco ($35 for 24 IIRC). Can see this being a good one for summer BBQs when I've gotta drive home.
As I continue with my NA beer adventurism, a clear picture is emerging that 'convincing' is the most important feature. And there is science behind it:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30423017/

So perhaps all those years of drinking boozy beer is paying off in that it's conditioned a reward response in the brain provided that the imposter beer is sufficiently convinving! And if it happens to actually taste like good beer, well that is a fantastic bonus.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

cannondale wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:13 pm
seangm wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:44 am For any folk in Durham or passing through, Town has an non-alcoholic lager right now and it's really good. It's simple, pretty much drinks like an American light lager, but it's convincing and doesn't have any strange flavours. Hoping NA releases become a regular occurrence from them if they can pull it off this well.

As I continue with my NA beer adventurism, a clear picture is emerging that 'convincing' is the most important feature. And there is science behind it:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30423017/

So perhaps all those years of drinking boozy beer is paying off in that it's conditioned a reward response in the brain provided that the imposter beer is sufficiently convinving! And if it happens to actually taste like good beer, well that is a fantastic bonus.
Interesting stuff, and I would say based on my experience it's spot on. I've found now after trying quite a few NA beers the ones I enjoy most are the ones that are convincing, even if it's not something I'd usually drink like the Peroni. Yay for science!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Yeah I'd 100% agree with this. Peroni being a great example. Most "blonde" beers have tasted as advertised and therefore I've enjoyed, even though I'd never order one with alcohol.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

The two best NA brews I've had recently were both Red Ales.
One from Toolshed in Alberta, one from Brasseur de Montreal.

Just another one of those styles that seems to work better than others in NA form. (To me at least)

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

El Pinguino wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:32 pm The two best NA brews I've had recently were both Red Ales.
One from Toolshed in Alberta, one from Brasseur de Montreal.

Just another one of those styles that seems to work better than others in NA form. (To me at least)

Yes, absolutely. The one from Brasseur de Montreal is indeed good, as are most red ales. And I really don't care for red ales, lol