Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What's Your Favourite Ontario West Coast IPA?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

...and Southern Tier IPA. I think i should find a way to revisit that after so long.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Had The Exchange Brewery Extension Two-Way West Coast IPA today. It was quite good.

Muskokan

Post by Muskokan »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:55 am I too tried the Lower West Side WCIPA and echo the comments above: a slightly lighter version of Boneshaker, in all the right ways. I really enjoyed it. Thank you!!

Question though: my can says 6% yet the lcbo image says 5%... why is that?
That's a great question. LCBO website is incorrect. I'll get that changed.

Mike
Co-Founder | The Craft Brand Company
https://craftbrandco.com/
IG: @CraftBrandCo

supastan416

Post by supastan416 »

Was so happy to find this thread, it made my get an account.

Agree with lots of the above.
1. Boneshaker 2. Lake Effect/Octopus/Karma Citra 3. Headstock 4. Lone Pine 5. Mad Tom.

I miss Smashbomb. It was the beer that turned me to IPA's and with all the hazy stuff flying monkey does now, I wish they still had a place for it.

Still love B.C offerings. Fat Tug is up there with Boneshaker, and I was sad to realize I couldn't get Red Racer any more.
Another good one to look out for in the Guelph LCBO's is Brother's Brewing Lamp Lighter.
I now will also try to track down some of the Exchange and Lower West Side WCIPA soon.

I've realized over time even with in the WCIPA's, there's the true early WCIPA's and then more of the American IPA's which became WCIPA's and I prefer the later. Some great American one's I've picked up on trips - Ballast Point Sculpin, Bell's Two Hearted among others.

Also when Sawdust brews Twin Pines... it's one of the best tasting beers out there... it's been about 2 years though.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

supastan416 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:47 pm Was so happy to find this thread, it made my get an account.
Very happy you joined!

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

supastan416 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:47 pm Was so happy to find this thread, it made my get an account.

Agree with lots of the above.
1. Boneshaker 2. Lake Effect/Octopus/Karma Citra 3. Headstock 4. Lone Pine 5. Mad Tom.

I miss Smashbomb. It was the beer that turned me to IPA's and with all the hazy stuff flying monkey does now, I wish they still had a place for it.

Still love B.C offerings. Fat Tug is up there with Boneshaker, and I was sad to realize I couldn't get Red Racer any more.
Another good one to look out for in the Guelph LCBO's is Brother's Brewing Lamp Lighter.
I now will also try to track down some of the Exchange and Lower West Side WCIPA soon.

I've realized over time even with in the WCIPA's, there's the true early WCIPA's and then more of the American IPA's which became WCIPA's and I prefer the later. Some great American one's I've picked up on trips - Ballast Point Sculpin, Bell's Two Hearted among others.

Also when Sawdust brews Twin Pines... it's one of the best tasting beers out there... it's been about 2 years though.

I wish we could get Two Hearted here.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Love Boneshaker.
Had been drinking a lot of Mad Tom the past year or two, but found it to be too sticky sweet last couple of times I tried it.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:10 pm I wish we could get Two Hearted here.
I have a Quick Beer video trip to Kalamazoo in March and I'm trying to get an interview with Bell's. Since they're now owned by Kirin/Lion I guess the old reasons for why they never came to Ontario – supposedly Larry Bell refused to deal with LCBO – don't apply anymore. I will try and find out what I can!

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Cass wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:34 pm
sofakingdrunk wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:10 pm I wish we could get Two Hearted here.
I have a Quick Beer video trip to Kalamazoo in March and I'm trying to get an interview with Bell's. Since they're now owned by Kirin/Lion I guess the old reasons for why they never came to Ontario – supposedly Larry Bell refused to deal with LCBO – don't apply anymore. I will try and find out what I can!

Nice one. Give them a couple friendly nudges while your at it.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Three Sheets Brewing New Wave IPA. Don't believe that one has been mentioned. I really like it. They're in Port Elgin though so perhaps not super accessible.

kajer

Post by kajer »

Mad Tom :D

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I think I'll have to do a taste test for WC IPAs and WC DIPAs when I finish my current non-alcoholic binge, lol.

Wonder if Bellwoods will ever re-do the original Witchshark recipe?

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Has anyone tried Collective Arts Peak to Peak? It's coming to LCBO but only in a few stores so far.

Seems to be their latest in the IPA series which I had totally forgot about until now.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

El Pinguino wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:39 pm I think I'll have to do a taste test for WC IPAs and WC DIPAs when I finish my current non-alcoholic binge, lol.

Wonder if Bellwoods will ever re-do the original Witchshark recipe?
Sure hope so. The new versions isn’t a patch on the original. Although, to be fair I havnt had Witchshark in 3-4 years. It may be back closer to the original again for all I know.

hopdevil

Post by hopdevil »

Peak to Peak is very good. Nice selection of hops.
I like Bellwoods PIG

2 Pad Stack for 2X IPA.

Always come back to Headstock and the GLB West Coasters.