Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Jasper, AB and Revelstoke, BC

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Jasper, AB and Revelstoke, BC

Post by Cass »

I know these are two totally different places but there wasn't a thread on either of them and no point in setting up two.

Heading for the annual ski trip which will include a loop from Jasper to Revelstoke and then out through Banff/Canmore.

Any personal recommendations from Jasper or Revelstoke? Have been pinning as much as I could find through Google Maps but would love to hear from the community!

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

I was in Jasper not last summer, but the summer before. There is a microbrewery there. I believe it is Jasper Brewering Company. At a restaurant in town, I had a glass of their west coast IPA (sorry I forget the name), and I found it well made. IIRC, it was a shade darker than most IPAs, which added to its complexity.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I had a fantastic meal and some good beers at Craft Bierhaus in Revelstoke. My family and I still talk about this place. Didn't get to the two breweries in town though.

I'm jealous, I love Revelstoke.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Jasper Brewing has been there for quite a while now, sister brewery to Banff Brewing. Looking at their website, it seems they have locations in Edmonton and Calgary too. It's been aaaaaaaages since I was there (Banff, not Jasper), but I came away thinking of them as kinda like a 3Brasseurs sort of place. Probably just because it was a big kinda touristy spot. But like, Banff. That's just how it is.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

I tried the Banff IPA, and I thought the Jasper one was better. More hop flavour and character. I did not try any other beers from Jasper, though.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

It's been several years since we were there but Bear's Paw Bakery was great when we went in 2017. We enjoyed a nice dinner at Jasper Brewing despite the beer not being super impressive. I was going to recommend the old school movie theatre but it appears to have permanently closed.

Driving between the two we had a nice dinner at Truffle Pigs in Field, BC, near Yoho National Park.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. Spent 3 nights each at Jasper and Revelstoke last week and was a great time.

Some notes for posterity:

Jasper Is pretty quaint which is as expected as it's within the national park. Jasper Brewing is perpetually busy and has a decent lineup of house beers. Very 90s brewpub vibe. Decent but wasn't terribly impressed with the beer. Other notables include D'ed Dog, a large pub with an OK selection of craft (Philips, Wild Rose, Jasper, Folding Mountain) and Whistle Stop, with about a dozen taps and a few crafts. The most pleasantly surprising was probably the Legion, named "The Stand Easy", which had five styles from Three Ranges on tap. The first time I can remember seeing anything but macros at a Legion. That was pretty much it from a pub perspective as we asked around and nothing else was suggested. As mentioned by @JerCraigs the Bear's Paw Bakery was hopping and very tasty. Not a tremendous beer destination but incredibly scenic and a fun visit.

Revelstoke has more of a happening beer and nightlife scene. A highlight was Rumpus, a cozy brewery taproom right downtown with an interesting selection of house beers. Craft Bierhaus has about 24 taps with a wide range of regional craft beers in a very lively space. Tasty food as mentioned by @MatttthewGeorge - I had an artichoke Mac & cheese which was very unique. The Village Idiot was a fun ski-themed bar with good beer and pizza. Royal City and Last Drop were more mass style bars but each had a couple of crafty beers on tap. A very busy mountain town and hard to get in anywhere during peak dinner time.

Ironically I didn't make it to Mt. Begbie, which has been around since the mid-late 90s, but their taproom is only open Thu-Sun and I missed that window on the trip. And the Revelstoke Mountain has pretty good beers for a ski resort too - no macro deal dominating the tap lineups which is always welcome to see.

A great trip and I was recording footage while I was visiting so will likely cut a couple of short episodes of A Quick Beer in the near future.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

A Quick Beer in Jasper!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

And here's the ep from Revelstoke. A fun town & a nice trip to the mountains this year!