Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Divide - Hercules Double IPA

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Re: Dreadnaught

It's awesome. You can smell the pine resin and hops like 5 feet from the glass. I know I could. A solid example of a IIPA, IMHO.

Re: Hercules

Haven't had it, but would welcome the opportunity.

Re:DFH in Ontario

I will be getting at least a case of the 60 min, provided the LCBO I work at gets more than a few bottles, which always seems to be the case.

Len
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Manul

Post by Manul »

Does anyone know if Hecules IPA can by ordered through LCBO?

Vet_Fuel

Post by Vet_Fuel »

I've had the Sgt Major's and (after this weekend) the Hercules as well. Sgt. Major's tastes hoppier even though both beers are close in IBU (86 vs 85). The Hercules seems to be a little maltier and balances the huge hop flavour well. I like 'em both, but I feel the Hercules is better suited to colder weather than Sgt Major, imo.

I am also eagerly awaiting the DFH to arrive at the LCBO.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Manul wrote:Does anyone know if Hecules IPA can by ordered through LCBO?
I haven't tried but based on similar beers if they agree to it not only will it be quite expensive but you''ll robably have to order several cases of it.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Vet_Fuel wrote:Sgt. Major's tastes hoppier even though both beers are close in IBU (86 vs 85)..
:o Ummm, I know taste is subjective and all but there's no way the Sgt. Major is hoppier then the Hercules. No way.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Blankboy wrote:
Vet_Fuel wrote:Sgt. Major's tastes hoppier even though both beers are close in IBU (86 vs 85)..
:o Ummm, I know taste is subjective and all but there's no way the Sgt. Major is hoppier then the Hercules. No way.
yeah but in the Hercules the sweet malt presence offsets the hop bite...the Sgt is all hops, imho.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

That's right, it's both IBU's and countering sweetness at play. Tsarina Katarina has oodles of hops but a solid malty base in tandem with this. (Or I believe Perry said something like that.)
In Beerum Veritas

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I'm with Blankboy on this one, I know the Hercules has a ton more malt (and alcohol) but I too find it way more bitter than Perry's beer. Maybe I've had too many IPA's lately, but I really don't find Perry's beer the hop monster I once thought - which is a compliment, i think when fresh it is a tasty well balanced treat.