Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Embassy

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Steve Spong

The Embassy

Post by Steve Spong »

Just went to the new Embassy pub on Augusta at Baldwin tonight, and I quite enjoyed it. The prices were fair - $5.75 for a pint for the Ephemere Framboise and the St. Ambroise Stout. They also had (if memory serves) Headstrong Pale Ale, Wellington Dark Ale, De Koninck, McAuslan Cream, King Pils, and something else which escapes me. I don't know what they have by the bottle. The music was great, the vibe was cool without being condescending, and it was an altogether solid place. Highly recommended if you're in the area.
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Does anyone remember the Embassy Lounge of many years ago? (on Bloor & Belair I think) They used to bring "name" acts in back in the 50's and 60's.

As a very young boy I was snuck in backstage during a Sunday Matinee performance to see my Uncle Jimmie sing (one of The Four Lads). Anyone other than me old enough to remember that place?

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

It's funny you should mention the Embassy lounge. Yesterday I finished reading Nicholas Pashley's Notes on a Beermat, a book that is worth reading and has been discussed on the forums before. It deals with many of the old Toronto beer haunts, among other subject matter. Incidentally, the author's favourite of the lot was the Embassy Lounge and talks at fairly great lengths about it. Seeing as how it was on sale for $5.99 at Indigo, you might enjoy picking it up and reading about it. Seeing as how I'm far too young to remember such places, it was an interesting and entertaining glimpse of Toronto's drinking past.
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Steve Spong wrote:It's funny you should mention the Embassy lounge. Yesterday I finished reading Nicholas Pashley's Notes on a Beermat, a book that is worth reading .
I also just finished reading it the book and found it highly entertaining. I may even try the subway game! There were quite a few bars referred to that have either retired or passed away, but I'm encouraged by the rising tide of good beer served across the city. I'll have to add the Embassy to my list of bars to visit.
Lagerale

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I just finished reading Notes as well. I guess hitting the remainder tables really helped the sales. Too bad Nicolas doesn't get any money from those sales, though. :-? We should all buy him a beer should our paths ever cross.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

The subway game is exactly how I discovered many Toronto pubs, especially in the West end. Man I love that book, it has been a few years since I have read it, time to unpack it and try it again!

BeerMonger

Post by BeerMonger »

Thanks Steve, I will seek the book out and read it. The Embassy Lounge had a "lounge" licence as I remember...booze only, no food I think. It did seem to be a fancy spot to this young fella at the time, about 1963 I guess.

Sadly, Uncle Jimmie passed last year in his 70's...hope none of you minded my trip down memory lane.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

GregClow wrote:Too bad Nicolas doesn't get any money from those sales, though. :-? We should all buy him a beer should our paths ever cross.
Fully agree!
Lagerale

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

Thanks for the recommendation guys, picked up a copy at Chapters this weekend, and it's great, really enjoying it!
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com