Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Black Oak Pale Ale Cask...

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JWalter

Black Oak Pale Ale Cask...

Post by JWalter »

ATTENTION Hop Heads, get yourself to C'est What and have a pint of this... My goodness, this is pure HOP HEAVEN... Mr. Ken Woods, and Adrian, you're geniuses... I was fortunate enough to be at C'est What on both Monday and Tuesday before going to see Oasis and Prodigy respectively, and both nights enjoyed a few pints, and had a pint of this both nights... Super hoppy, amazing hop aroma, TONS of hop flavor and a fair amount of bitterness, but not over the top bitterness... Amazing stuff, not sure how long they'll have it, if this will be a regular or what, but deee-lish!
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

If it shows up at any other establishment, I'll be all over it...Ken rarely disappoints!

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

I've been to C'est What a couple of times in the last few months and every time I go they have been out of the Black Oak Pale cask. I am a huge fan of the Hop Bomb, so I assume this must also be great pint. I might stop by tonight, so maybe I will have better luck this time.

Steve Spong

Post by Steve Spong »

I've been unlucky with tracking down the cask Black Oak pale - I've had it once or twice, but considering the frequency with which I go to Volo and C'est What, that doesn't seem often enough. I've not had the Hop Bomb yet! When it shows, please post it so I can get my ass down there pronto!
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Steve Spong wrote:I've been unlucky with tracking down the cask Black Oak pale - I've had it once or twice, but considering the frequency with which I go to Volo and C'est What, that doesn't seem often enough. I've not had the Hop Bomb yet! When it shows, please post it so I can get my ass down there pronto!
Is there some place you go more often? You could always put in a request at your local :)

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I've only been to C'est What twice recently. They were out of the Black Oak Cask the first time, but they had it last Friday.

Oh. Oh my. Oh dear lord, was that good.

I usually sample a range of beers whenever I'm at C'est What - but this one demanded repeated orderings.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I was back at C'est What again last night and tried this beer again.

Oh. Oh my! (again!)

This beer is an absolute delight!

It sounds like it must be doing well, because it has been sold out on occasion when I've been in the past, and apparently it was gone on Thursday night as well.

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Hi Everyone
Thanks for the kind words about our Hop Bomb Kasks.
I really like cask beer and Adrian does a great job with ours.
I'm hoping to get into C'est What and actually try a pint myself and see what its like. (Trivia note I wrote half the business plan for Black Oak in C'est What and the numbers looked really good after a lot of pints)
We only have 4 casks and thus the supply is very limited, plus we've been able to scrounge bungs from Ron at the Granite (who's beers i highly recommend) and use some of Ralphs casks when he's not using them.
We are planning something unique for Ralph's situation at the end of the month, possibly having vegan-cannibal influences with undertones of turnip & bacon & broccoli, we'll see how it turns out.
As for bottling the stuff as mentioned in another post, i'm doing some research and may get a small single filler like Ron has at the Granite. I'm not sure what type of bottle to get, possibly a swing top 1 litre or a growler.
Right now we've got to maintain our existing brands Nut Brown Ale & Pale Ale. Thats taking a lot of time and we don't yet have the cash flow to work on the unique projects i'd like to.
We'll keep the Hop Bomb flowing but in limited amounts.
Adrian and I thank you for the kind words.
Look forward to seeing you at various pubs and events
Cheers
Ken

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Oh, are all the cask versions of Black Oak Pale Ale considered to be of the "Hop Bomb" variety?

I thought that was one on my "still have to try" list. :P

Keep up the great work, and please try to keep C'est What well stocked with the Pale Ale Cask!! :D