Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

IPAs in Ontario

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Peter, I'm sorry there haven't been any existing consignment sales from the site yet. I was hoping this forum would allow folks that are looking to share a case to meet. Hopefully this will pick up soon.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

It would seem from the tone of Peter's lengthy reply that he's a little annoyed. Let me redirect.

I do appreciate your efforts Peter to bring in rare and exceptional beer at a reasonable price. I also respect your efforts to contribute to this forum and explain the economics of beer importation. What doesn't change is my belief that the $75 case cost of importing small batches of Pike IPA doesn't work FOR ME. I was lucky to spend several years in Vancouver and became used to paying around $50...even at that it seemed a luxury to me. I'd love to routinely spend $100+ to import only the finest beers from around the world. If I could I'd be swimming right now in a tub full of Bridgeport IPA. I'm envious that some people have that sort of fat pocket book. I unfortunately do not. I wasn't aware that your company was primarily courting only the highest end of the business.

My concerns and questions were raised out of my own simple economic reality. I'm cursed with a discriminating palette not matched by my disposible income. At the end of the day that's the only reason I questioned your original post. If I could afford to play at that level I would. I hope enough people who visit here can so that all your efforts prove worthwhile.

Until then I guess I'll stick to Dragon's Breath and St.Ambroise Pale.

P.S. Unless I'm mistaken local pubs do not recieve a significant discount on LCBO prices when buying product. With that in mind I don't think it's unreasonable to say the a pub, if it were to buy Pike IPA at $3.13 a bottle, would mark it up to $4.00-6.00 in order to turn a profit. As such I still think it's fair to suggest this wouldn't be a product I'd wish to stock, at that price, if I were buying for a pub or bar.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jon Walker on 2001-08-01 23:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jon Walker on 2001-08-01 23:51 ]</font>

Manul

Post by Manul »

I guess one of the reasons there were no consignment sales from esprit is the fact that some of us are still delighting ourselves with Rochefort8, Chimay Blue and Maredsous10 which we buy at the Bayview Village Mall LCBO.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Manul on 2001-08-03 10:31 ]</font>

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Jon, after re-reading my posting I guess it does sound like I was a bit ticked...sorry, it was not my intent. I was just surprised that anyone thought that the price was too high. In regards to pub sales of this item, you're right, not too many would carry it but that's true of virtually every product in our portfolio. The only places in Toronto you'll see our stuff is Smokeless, Esplanade, Mackie's, Cafe Brussel, Allen's, Academy of Spherical Arts, La Palette and a few others and you're dreaming if you think that any pub would charge as little as you suggest. Prices would be in the range of $6-9 per bottle in any of these places.

Immotius

Post by Immotius »

Esprit, I am curious to know what restrictions there are on an importer when importing beer?

Is the importer expected to sell its product only to licensed businesses, or can it arrange sale to anyone?

db

Post by db »

What's the consensus on Glenora's Redcoat Pale Ale? Is it considered a good example of an IPA? I found it to be kind of bitter/sour, like grapefruit rind.

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Couldn't resist this...well, whatever you think of the Redcoat, it isn't an IPA and doesn't claim to be. Interesting though that the word 'sour' comes up, as according to the brewery I was full of XXXX when I said their beers were sour. I guess that would make you full of XXXX too. And all the guys who tasted that Whitecap Lager with me are full of XXXX too.

db

Post by db »

Well, I wasn't sure about it. I'm not knowledgable enough about IPAs. The only one I've tried is Alexander Keith's and I found it unremarkable. The only reason I asked about the Redcoat is because of the 'Pale Ale' in the name. I also tried the Triple Chin Irish, but I didn't think it tasted sour like the Redcoat. Do you think I got a bad one, or is it typical?

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Long story about the Glenora brews. They're not supposed to be sour, and that's all I'll say.

Keith's is not an IPA, either. The legitimate IPAs in this town are few and far between, but Magnotta, Durham, Taylor & Bate all make them. Granite has an IPA for the winter, in the English interpretation of the style. St. George "the Dragonslayer" from Robinson is more of an American Pale, but is pretty close to an IPA and will give you a good idea of what to expect.

And Anchor Liberty Ale from California is a tasty IPA at the LCBO.

Any and all of these would be worth checking out.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken Redcoat is what is termed an English Pale Ale, which is the most common variety in Ontario.

david henman

Post by david henman »

...i finally found a beer that i enjoy from the first to the last drop: mcewan's india pale. suddenly, it has disappeared completely, at least in ontario. mcewans is owned by newcastle, but i haven't been able to find the web site in order to inquire.

-dh

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

esprit wrote:To my knowledge, no one in the forum has ever purchased from us.
Don't be so sure!

But I concede that three dollars for a Rochefort or a Westmalle is stupidly cheap - mainly for its intrinsic qualities - let alone comparing US prices or the cost/value ratio next to mainstream beers, bla bla bla.

I often feel people are gratingly "penny wise" (um, a tad hypocritical?) about these Gargantuan cost differences in beer. I mean what is the total net difference, per year you could really spend for GOOD stuff? You could easily spend that amount on one bad dinner out, and probably have many times over. But this is no Info-mercial.

The main reason I haven't purchased *often* from Esprit (in these few years being an Enthusiast) is I seem to have a perpetual supply of cases of (your?) beer that I bought from the Seasonal programs. A buying pattern you encourage.

Certainly if (and I know you can't but rhetorically, IF) you could match a LCBO store's instant convenience, super-low price point, and semi-guaranteed availability* of items, then you could cry at me for not supporting you directly. (I know you were not 'crying' at this but bear with me here...) For your direct sales, it so happens we're your second-tier customers - by the practical necessities you've detailed & by OUR general low demand. It's wonderful that we CAN buy directly from you (some things, some times, if there's enough); however you can see for us small-order Plebes the esprit order is rarely the path of lowest resistance, if we can get our groove on pretty good from the Seasonals. That's our human side of it so you know.

Anyway nice chatting, nothing prfoundly new said here I'm sure. Keep on swinging for good beer, we'll keep drinking it.
JK.

(* meaning if it comes in, I can immediately see it and buy it without reservations... we can take that last one with a dash of salt, given the regular 'irregularities' of the (out of) seasonal releases! )
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:
esprit wrote:To my knowledge, no one in the forum has ever purchased from us.
Don't be so sure!
Well, when Peter made that post ALMOST FIVE YEARS AGO, it was probably an fairly accurate statement.

Nowadays - not so much.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well then it's rather misleading isn't it? :P

ps: NO NEED TO YELL! :D
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

What's with people resurrecting five year old posts recently?

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

It appears that a new member picked up a 5 year old thread in order to comment on McEwans. Would have been more appropriate to start a new thread.