Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

lech now at LCBO

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

lech now at LCBO

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Lceh Pilsner from Poland, is now available at the LCBO in 500 ml can format. Introductory price is $1.75.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Manul

Post by Manul »

They are a bit thin on the eurolager side so I'm not surprised :lol:

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Lceh Pilsner from Poland, is now available at the LCBO in 500 ml can format. Introductory price is $1.75.
Is that Lech Pils, or Lech Premium? Based on Ratebeer reviews, Lech Pils looks okay. But there's only 7 ratings, which makes me think it's probably the more widely available Lech Premium, which just sounds bLech.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobbyok wrote:Is that Lech Pils, or Lech Premium? Based on Ratebeer reviews, Lech Pils looks okay. But there's only 7 ratings, which makes me think it's probably the more widely available Lech Premium, which just sounds bLech.
The LCBO listing says the one they have is 5.2%, which matches Lech Premium according to RateBeer, while Lech Pils is 5.5%. So it looks like we got the Premium.

You didn't really expect the LCBO to bring in one of the better beers in a brewer's line-up, did you?? :lol:

Radek

Post by Radek »

I would not look at the % since the numbers are for Poland and they have slightly diff. way of measuring. I knew of Lech coming to LCBO for almost a year now. When I talked to director of sales of KP they mentioned that first will be Zubr and soon after Lech. Lech Pils is brewed only for Great Poland province and Lech Premium is inter?-national brand. Some time ago Namyslow and Amber Polish semi-micros were looking to sell stuff in Ontario but you know how hard is to get in when you are not part of SABMiller or Carlsberg.... It seems that Lech Premium is now sold in green bottles.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Just can't get enough of that Polish stuff...FYI, the LCBO rejected both Dead Guy Ale (in 355ml) and Dogfish Head 60 MInute as General Listings this past week. We've demanded a more detailed explanation of their one line rejection but if something of sustance is not forthcoming, I may call on bartowellers to participate in a petition to the LCBO regarding the Beer category.

flip

Post by flip »

Sign me up for any petition pertaining to that... the least they could give you is some sort of explanation. Besides, it'd be nice to finally get "We choose not to stock beers that people enjoy" in writing some time. :roll:

On another unrelated note, any update on the Rogue/Belgian order from a few months ago?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

It is indeed the premium that has been listed, however ratebeer lists is at a pilsner. I should have been more careful with my post.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Manul

Post by Manul »

Disgusting! 60 min should be standard item on the LCBO shelves. I'm in.

Radek

Post by Radek »

Just can't get enough of that Polish stuff...FYI, the LCBO rejected both Dead Guy Ale (in 355ml) and Dogfish Head 60 MInute as General Listings this past week. We've demanded a more detailed explanation of their one line rejection but if something of sustance is not forthcoming, I may call on bartowellers to participate in a petition to the LCBO regarding the Beer category.
You know the answer for that , big concerns such as SABMiller have much more to say than small agencies - thats why you see main line up of Polish, Czech and German macros .$$$ makes it work . If the answer to that question was that the mainstream lagers is what most people want you would see beers like Namyslow Pils at LCBO but you dont.

Radek

Post by Radek »

I shall switch that to premium lager .

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

esprit wrote:.FYI, the LCBO rejected both Dead Guy Ale (in 355ml) and Dogfish Head 60 MInute as General Listings this past week....
Denying 60 minute IPA is impossible for them to justify.

Rogue Dead Guy to them might be "politically offensive to the deceased" or some b/s like that (there's a pattern here: maybe really exploitive bars can sell it for $10 a glass like the 'forbidden' Delirium Tremens...)
esprit wrote:...We've demanded a more detailed explanation of their one line rejection but if something of sustance is not forthcoming, I may call on bartowellers to participate in a petition to the LCBO regarding the Beer category.
Politics aside, the Rogue Dead Guy ale would be my number one session beer in that 355 ml format - and the DFH 60 minute would be THE session ale for many & frequently in my fridge as well.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Belgian wrote: Denying 60 minute IPA is impossible for them to justify.
Government entities can justify anything, because they make the assumption that the general population is too stupid to question them. I imagine in this case they'll suggest its not worthy of a general listing because of the mass market stigma about "American Beer" - all while Bud and Coors Light become the number one sellers across the country.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Damn, it would have been nice to have smaller bottles of Dead Guy. Sometimes 650ml is a lot to drink! :o

What are the qualifications for such a job? Maybe we should start keeping tabs on when positions like that become available...
lister

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Now that I've said that, I wonder if the increasing sales of American macros in Canada will eventually start working in American Micros favour, in that the mass market will stop immediately dismissing anything from the US simply because its from the US. Pure conjecture on that one.