Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ottawa Trip

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Ottawa Trip

Post by JerCraigs »

I am planning a trip to Ottawa in October.
Obviously the brewpubs (Clocktower, other?) and Pub Italia are high on my list. Anything else beerwise? Where can Beau's be found on tap?

Hotels from Expedia:
Comfort Inn Downtown Ottawa - $88/night
Travelodge Ottawa Downtown Doral INN – Free wireless and HBO! $99/night

What is the best/closest Quebec side beer stop?
Any other tips?

LarryKress

Post by LarryKress »

On Aug 16/06 Jer Craigs wrote:
I am planning a trip to Ottawa in October.

Hello Jerry,

For sure, Pub Italia is a must, very good beer selection and good food
plus the pub decor is unique. I love the Abbey section!

Myself, I like the atmosphere/beer selection of
Bistro L’Autre Oeil (Aylmer, just west of Hull)
55 rue Principale
Gatineau, QC
819) 682-1221

Concerning the Comfort Inn on Rideau st.
UGH! I didn't like my stay there though it was 6 years ago.
The front desk guy was extremely rude & the room was dirty
but maybe it has improved.

I would recommend the Les Suites Victoria in downtown Hull.
www.suitesvictoria.com
Very nice people & clean rooms with small fridge plus dog friendly.

Store if you like cheese plus good quebec beer selection.
About 5- 10 minute drive from DT Ottawa.
La Trappe à Fromage
200 rue Bellehumeur
Gatineau, Quebec Canada [map]
(819) 243-6411

Here is the website for Beau's which has pub list.
http://www.beaus.ca/en-news.html

Feel free to email me & we could meet for a beer.

Cheers,

Larry Kress

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JerCraigs wrote:Where can Beau's be found on tap?
At the Golden Tap Awards at beerbistro this Saturday. :wink:

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

Unless it's just for the ratings I wouldn't bother with the Clocktower, they're just not very good. You have to go to the Black Tomato: great food, great music and only Ontario & Quebec microbrews -- next to Pub Italia it's the best place in Ottawa.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

The Ratebeer guide is a good place to look.

Some of my observations (numbers from Ratebeer map), with the pubs pretty well in order of preference:

1: Pub Italia: best selection in Ottawa though taps are uninspired and you probably won't find anything you can't get in Toronto. The decor is worth the trip and they also run a little store beside the bar that sells glasses, shirts, and other beer-related stuff

2: Black Tomato: excellent food, good tap list, cask ale of varying quality. right in the market

3: L'autre Oeil: still haven't been but lots of friends love this place so that's good enough for me

7: Cottage and a Kitchen: bare-bones bar with excellent home-cooking and 5 micros on tap; probably only convenient if you are visiting StatsCan.

8: Arrow and Loon: usually has Scotch Irish on cask. much prefer Bow and Arrow in Toronto

12: Clocktower: reasonably good food, ok but not great beers. Wishart's Bitter on cask is good session beer. now have a second location in New Edinburgh but not sure about beer situation there. close-ish to Arrow and Loon.

14: Marché Jovi: convenient depanneur, especially from the west end. similar selection to La Trappe, including Bieropholie beers (though I'm not sure about availability of these right now)

La Trappe a Fromage is a great spot but a bit out of the way. Squeakiest cheese curds around.

LarryKress

Post by LarryKress »

On Aug 16/06 Inertiaboy wrote:

Marché Jovi: convenient depanneur, especially from the west end. similar selection to La Trappe, including Bieropholie beers (though I'm not sure about availability of these right now)

I was there last week and there was no Coup de Grisou or Amber from RJ.
Remember seeing the Imp Stout, Goldings & Calumet Bieropholie beers but I believe these beers haven't been brewed for awhile so may not be fresh and not stored cold.
Shame because I've always been a fan of the Cascade & Cascade Plus.

If you like blue cheese, check out Bleu Benedictine from Qc.
Also doux peche (sp?) soft cheese.

At La Trappe you can mix & match your own 6 pack.

Larry Kress

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Don't forget Vineyards below the Fish Market in the Byward Market...great beer and wine selection.

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

Hey Jer, if you are in town long enough, maybe we could do a little gathering at l'autre oeil, or maybe at one of the Bierophoux locals in Gatineau, and hook you up with the infamous... DUMINATOR!

Check out Ian's blog to find out more about the ...DUMINATOR!

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

I had success finding some unibroue and other quebeois micros at Marche Jovi

Marché JOVI
50, rue Bégin
Hull
(819) 777-9921

Its not that far from the Ottawa Bridges in Hull, but not really walkable.
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

Beau's can also be found at the Manx, corner of Frank and Elgin. They also have a decent number of taps of ON micros, and fabulous burgers.

As for Qc fare, I can confirm that Marché Jovi and La Trappe à Fromage are pretty much the only establishments with a decent beer selection in the Outaouais.

Regarding hotels, stay away from anything east of King Edward or in the downtown core (dead and expansive). There are a few good selections of suites hotels around Elgin/Cooper (www.suitedreams.com and www.hiottawa.ca) and Elgin/McLaren (http://www.thebusinessinn.com/), and on Cartier (http://www.embassyhotelottawa.com/). The Novotel on Nicholas (http://www.novotelottawa.com/) also has decent prices, and is in walking distance of the Byward Market. Other option is B&Bs:

http://www.bedsandbreakfasts.ca/ottawa.htm

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

GregClow wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:Where can Beau's be found on tap?
At the Golden Tap Awards at beerbistro this Saturday. :wink:
I can't make it unfortunately.

Duminator?

I looked at the Black Tomato, it looks a little pricey and I am going to be on a budget. Will definitely be looking into Pub Italia though.

I am going to be carless except where I can convince my uncle to chauffeur me, so I will be mostly downtown. I am attending a conference of U of O for two days and site seeing with the gf for the weekend.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

JerCraigs wrote:I looked at the Black Tomato, it looks a little pricey and I am going to be on a budget.
Only if you eat there. So don't eat there, just drink :D
They are right in the Byward Market so they couldn't be more downtown.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

The beers on tap can be bought in 6-7 oz glasses for aprox.. 2.97, stick with the 10.97 Cajun Cheddar Melt (fantastic) and you'll be out of there for 15$.

Vineyards is awesome, ask the bartender Bill for beers that arent on the extensive menus.

Also, close to U of O, there is the 5 minute walk to the market. for Black Tomato and Vineyards.

There IS Fuller's London Porter on tap at Pub Italia though...

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Sorry - I didn't notice your post until just now. We've got a tap locator on our website www.beaus.ca

Cheers

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Are Clocktower and Pub Italia walkable from each other? It looks like it might be on the map but was not sure.