Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Exploding Unibroue!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jonesy

Exploding Unibroue!

Post by Jonesy »

Anyone noticed that Unibroue beers in the 341mL bottles are a little extra fizzy lately? I bought some Fin du Monde in Smith Falls a few weeks back and nearly all bottles overflowed once the cap was twisted off. I figured it was a bad case, but I just opened some Trois Pistole from Markham and it's the same thing (only one bottle so far).

Maybe somethings up with their 'yeast addition equipment' at the brewery?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I had a few blanche this week and they were fucked in all aspects. Tasted like vinegar, still carbonation. But I stand by tham anyway. Everyone has their day.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Fvcked is a little harsh, but my beers tasted the same as always...

John Aitken

Post by John Aitken »

What were the bottling dates on the vinegar ones and the exploding ones? . Maybe we can avoid purchasing these if possible.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

I had the same experience with a recent 6 of Trois Pistoles - first couple of bottles anyway. Excessive foaming, but they tasted fine. I'll double check the date when I get home, but I believe they were a late 2005 bottling.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

I'll check the bottles (not sure if I can decipher the date code) but it would seem that these were more recent bottlings. A) Their wasn't the typical dust on the bottles from usual 'lack of consumer interest' in these beers and B) the cap underneath the foil was plain gold instead of the usual "U" insignia. They also seemed to taste more fresh.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Hey, I was born in Smiths Falls on Oct. 11, 1952...doesn't mean anything but it's nice to see my hometown's name on the bartowel.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Jonesy wrote:I'll check the bottles (not sure if I can decipher the date code) but it would seem that these were more recent bottlings.
Unibroue uses a simple code: the first letter is the month, the next two numbers are the day, and the last number is the year, so H226, for example, would be August 22, 2006.

http://www.unibroue.com/beer101/date.cfm

I've found that Unibroue beers are usually reliable, but not without intermittent problems. The most infected beers I have ever tasted were a pair of 1837 bottles. Lately, the only thing that I've noticed is that the newer corks can be ridiculously difficult to remove.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Bottled date was January 26, 2006. I have some bottles in the garage from a March bottling and they were fine. The Smith Falls exploding bottles are gone. Anyway, the bottles still contain good beer.

Vet_Fuel

Post by Vet_Fuel »

I've been drinking Fin du Monde and Maudite all summer and haven't had any quality issues.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Blanche de Chambly I bought in Kingston Sunday was better than fine - perfect carbonation, balanced feel & a fullness of flavor I wasn't really expecting. When it's on it is bang on.

Great with the steamed mussels.

The Kingston beer stores might not move a lot of UB so this could be mature stock. I'll check that. Aged UB ales are usu not a problem, if anything they improve.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Belgian wrote: The Kingston beer stores might not move a lot of UB so this could be mature stock. I'll check that. Aged UB ales are usu not a problem, if anything they improve.
Actually, my first sample of Trois Pistoles came to me from a friend visiting Kingston in late 2004 - a full six pack covered in dust with an early 2002 bottling date. I still have one of those aging along with a 2003, 2004, and 2005 bottle. When I get my hands on one from 2006 I think it will make for a nice 5 year vertical tasting.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobbyok wrote: I still have one of those aging along with a 2003, 2004, and 2005 bottle. When I get my hands on one from 2006 I think it will make for a nice 5 year vertical tasting.
However the tasters themselves won't be vertical for very long.
In Beerum Veritas

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Belgian wrote:
Bobbyok wrote: I still have one of those aging along with a 2003, 2004, and 2005 bottle. When I get my hands on one from 2006 I think it will make for a nice 5 year vertical tasting.
However the tasters themselves won't be vertical for very long.
Indeed. :)

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Bobbyok wrote: Actually, my first sample of Trois Pistoles came to me from a friend visiting Kingston in late 2004 - a full six pack covered in dust with an early 2002 bottling date. I still have one of those aging along with a 2003, 2004, and 2005 bottle. When I get my hands on one from 2006 I think it will make for a nice 5 year vertical tasting.
How does November 3rd sound??? (Day after my birthday!)