Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Buffalo transport

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I was wondering about transport down to the Buffalo fest - if it wasn't possible to have some groups going down to the fest. This would make it easier for DD purposes and also for those of us city-dwelling types who don't have cars.

Any thoughts on this matter?

freesia

Post by freesia »

I was wondering the same thing actually. It would be great if we could get a group going down to Buffalo...I'm sure people wouldn't mind splurging a few bucks on group transport?

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I was thinking just any car/minivan would do, as long as there is a DD present. But then my cheapness is motivated by the fact that I have a huge tasting later in September I have to save for, so I'm looking to chip in for gas, not hire transport, personally. But yeah, if anybody out there wants to get a small group together, I'd like to see that.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'm afraid I can't offer any rides to the fest, as we have a full car and are staying for the weekend in Buffalo. Last year's experience of driving home after the fest wasn't pleasant.

Anyway, I'd be happy to meet up with you guys at the fest for some drinks.

Immotius

Post by Immotius »

Let this be an example of the need to plan ahead. A 12 or 14 seater might have been a good choice. But with hotel accomodations getting tight, it's too late to organize this.

Lyle

Post by Lyle »

Hey all.

I'll look into availability at hotels within walking distance from the Brewfest and post some suggestions in the next few days. I'm waiting to hear from the person coordinating hotel stay for the brewery reps - he's trying to see if he can get a "special price" on rooms for out-of-town attendees of the festival as well.
Lyle Ostrow
Premier Gourmet
3465 Delaware Avenue
Kenmore, NY 14217
tel:(716) 877-3574
email: premierbeer@adelphia.net

Lyle

Post by Lyle »

Okay,

Here's a list of hotels that are all within walking distance from the event and right in the heart of downtown Buffalo. As of right now, they all have at least a few rooms available.

Holiday Inn, 620 Delaware Ave, 716-886-2121
Hampton Inn, 210 Delaware Ave, 716-855-2223
Radisson Suites Downtown, 601 Main St, 716-854-5500
Hotel Lafayette, 391 Washington St # 3, 716-852-5470
Hyatt Hotels & Resorts, 2 Fountain Plz, 716-856-1234
Pillars Hotel, 125 High St, 716-845-0112
Lyle Ostrow
Premier Gourmet
3465 Delaware Avenue
Kenmore, NY 14217

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the tips Lyle. Does anyone have any suggestions for good pubs to check out in Buffalo during the fest weekend? I've been to Pearl St. many times in the past, and I'll definitely be heading back there at some point. I've heard Alternative Brews is also a great place to check out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cass on 2001-08-17 12:20 ]</font>

Lyle

Post by Lyle »

Check out both Pizza Plant locations as well. They always have terrific draft selections. The one on Main St also has a hand-pull.

Alternative Brews is definitely always worth a visit. Best bottled beer selection in town.

There are some other decent locales as well - Route 66, Colter Bay, Doc & Den's Buffalo Tap Room (HUGE selection of contract-brewed house beers), Sterling Place, Papa Jake's, Cozumel, etc.

If you are interested in Homebrew Supplies - you HAVE to stop at Niagara Traditions - it is basically right around the corner from Premier.
Lyle Ostrow
Premier Gourmet
3465 Delaware Avenue
Kenmore, NY 14217

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the recos Lyle. I forgot about the Pizza Plant - I have fond memories of that place. A long time ago when I was first starting out in beer a friend & I went down to the Pizza Plant (the one near the highway in the plaza, I think its Main St.)

We were completely disoriented, as the place was more like a family restaurant than our expectation of a bar. But we were quite impressed - I believe that was the first time I tried Anchor and Sierra Nevada on tap. And great pizza, too.

My folks mentioned that the Buffalo brewpub had undergone a number of renovations. Perhaps worth swinging by as well - I believe its on the same street at the Plant.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cass on 2001-08-17 12:59 ]</font>

Lyle

Post by Lyle »

I have heard good things recently about the brewpub, but I haven't personally been there in a while - its a little further drive from my house. The Brewpub is at the corner of Main St. and Transit Rd. One of the Pizza Plant locations is on Transit (sorta near the Brewpub) and the other is on Main (in the Walker Center, near the highway).

I think we have the addresses of all of them on the Brewfest website - http://www.buffalobrewfest.org (since they all are exhibiting).
Kenmore, NY 14217

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyle on 2001-08-17 14:51 ]</font>

Lyle

Post by Lyle »

one more thing...

The two Pizza Plant locations have entirely different draft selections. Usually, there isn't even a single duplicate between them.
Lyle Ostrow
Premier Gourmet
3465 Delaware Avenue
Kenmore, NY 14217