Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Holiday packs 2006

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

esprit wrote:I understand that Rogue Dead Guy and Dogfish 60 were turned down for General Listing in favour of Brooklyn Lager...enough said.
Well, at least Brooklyn Lager is better than yet another canned Eastern Bloc lager. (Although I understand that there may be a couple of more those coming soon...)

But it's certainly strange that the LCBO would add a beer that has never been available in this market to their general list over top of two of the most popular beers from their seasonal releases.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

So besides Peter's limited selection, what else is good that we can expect?

On another note, can I FedEX beer from Halifax to Ontario? I see the NSLC has the Rochefort 10 and Westmalle Trippel again so I want to stock-up when I'm out next week. I need to supplement the lack of St. Bernardus.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Jonesy wrote:On another note, can I FedEX beer from Halifax to Ontario? I see the NSLC has the Rochefort 10 and Westmalle Trippel again so I want to stock-up when I'm out next week. I need to supplement the lack of St. Bernardus.
they don't like you to ship beer, but have no problems about shipping "collectable glassware". i've successfully traded "collectable glassware" with the states a few times and had no issues, so i'm guessing within the country would be fine too.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Jonesy wrote:So besides Peter's limited selection, what else is good that we can expect?

On another note, can I FedEX beer from Halifax to Ontario? I see the NSLC has the Rochefort 10 and Westmalle Trippel again so I want to stock-up when I'm out next week. I need to supplement the lack of St. Bernardus.
Canada Post is a lot cheaper and don't ask about the contents usually.
I had a box delivered witha broken bottle, they took the time to plastic bag it and still deliver!

Ghost542

Post by Ghost542 »

I took a peek at the Holiday Pack releases, and there doesn't look to be much new. About the only thing that got my curiousity was Wychwood's Bah Humbug Christmas Cheer, but mainly because of my being a fan of "A Christmas Carol"

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

esprit wrote:I understand that Rogue Dead Guy and Dogfish 60 were turned down for General Listing in favour of Brooklyn Lager...enough said.
That's no trade off at all!! Brooklyn is more than welcome but why do we lose DFH 60??? What the hell is up with these soviet state monopoly types...do they have a quota or limited shelf space for products from the "evil decadent capitalist empire" to the south? :roll:
Aventinus rules!

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

So besides Peter's limited selection, what else is good that we can expect?

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I noticed a bunch of new items on the LCBO website. Holiday gift packs (including erdinger, budels, affligem, chimay and orval) and the small bottles of chimay blue cap. A lot of the gift packs are the same ones they had last year.

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

cannondale wrote:I noticed a bunch of new items on the LCBO website. Holiday gift packs (including erdinger, budels, affligem, chimay and orval) and the small bottles of chimay blue cap. A lot of the gift packs are the same ones they had last year.
Which site did you look at? the regular LCBO.com and www.lcbogifts.com do not have this information.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

www.lcbo.com and do a product search by country

Stomp Brockmore

Post by Stomp Brockmore »

Yeah, but none of them are listed as being in stock. These seem to be just catalogue listings from previous years.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

There's stuff listed on the LCBO site that hasn't been available in Ontario for more than six years. It's an unreliable source for new listings.

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

Ah! Well Im sure they will use the www.lcbogifts.com website...last year, the gift packs were listed around November.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

I regularly do a search for Chimay on the LCBO web site with only the Premier showing up.
The gift pack and blue cap are new. The gift pack we know is coming out.
Maybe Peter can shed light on the Blue Cap. That would also be welcome.

In regards to Orval its been there forever with a couple of bottles so I doubt its new.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Chimay Bleu I have is 2003 & it's ageing quite well.

The Beer Geek in me would love to compare a new stock. And it's always good to think 'long term' and purchase more than seems prudent at the time - a few cases of Trappist is nothing over three-plus years.

Over such a long period of time, a single case allows you only one beer every month or two (!) so calculate your allowance on that - how many Chimay Bleu do you want to enjoy in a 1-2 month period? Buy THAT number of cases, minimum - or DOUBLE that you want it to last five or six years. 101 math, I realize but people are so slow buying this stuff & they regret it later.
In Beerum Veritas