Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

WHAT IF... Beers the LCBO should carry

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

WHAT IF... Beers the LCBO should carry

Post by Belgian »

This is the thread wherein YOU say what should & could be a regular seasonal or stock item at the LCBO. But aren't.

Keeping in mind there are so many choices, yes, yet to function a a 'fair' monopoly in the public's interest, what Belgians and IPAs and what-have-you should be part of their broader vision?

I'll say Ayinger Celebrator and the Maredsous would be a fair start. Achel as well.
In Beerum Veritas

jkubik

Post by jkubik »

There are a TON of great beers in the U.S. as well that are unavailable to us here.
Fat Tire ale, New Belgium Brewing. Ft. Collins Co. USA.
More Dogfish head is always good.
More Rogue beers -- good seasonal options.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Stone's entire line up should be available.

flip

Post by flip »

Bear Republic... very tasty!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Standard shelf stock: Andecher, Spaten, Augustiner, Ayinger, Weltenberger, Nils Oscar....Dunkels, Bocks, Oktoberfest marzens, Keller/Zwickel, Viennas, Alts and dortmunders....KEEP: Kostritzer, Schlenkerla, Hacker-pschorr, Paulaner, and expand the product line of these labels.

Thank you Red tape Santa for hearing my plea :roll:

Now I will go down to my Local government Dairy bar and walk past 3 rows of rot-yer-teeth over processed pasturized slovakian welfare lagers taking up space in the coolers, to (hopefully) find an untainted bottle of unpasturized micro brewed dunkel which has been stored at room temp. :roll:

RANT: I finally tried this Pivo Laska Pilsner they are over stocking at the 'bo' and it is the epitome of the twisted logic of state liquor bureaucrat thinking...it is infused with every stabilizing chemical and adjuct sweetener you can get to make it look and smell OK after the abysmal handling it gets....it is a Slovina welfare lager sold here at $2.20 for a 1/2 liter and probably cost the "bo" 50 cents a bottle...maximum profits from a shitty beer from some depressed backwater...full of chemicals so it wont spoil or skink and make a head no matter how badly you treat it...the perfect LCBO lager.

A googled quote about Laško Pivo: “Its like Jesus pissed in my mouth”. :roll: :cry:

Do the Liquor monopoly bureaucrats really think Canadians will like something which tastes like someone "pissing in your mouth"...that our tastes are similar to unevolved soccer vandals fron some vulgar war torn commie backwater??

The buyers have to become far more respectful of Canadian tastes and become more empathetic to customer's demands before we see this twisted attitude dissolve that buys skids of crap like Zlatorog instead of Ayigner.

OUTSIDE OF A FEW RARE GLIMPSES OF H-S EDELHELL OR CZECHVAR....THE LCBO HAS NO DECENT/QUALITY IMPORT LAGERS!!!
Aventinus rules!

Dokta Owange

Post by Dokta Owange »

Victory, Stone, Smuttynose, Dogfish Head, Rogue, North Coast, Harpoon, Magic Hat, Sierra Nevada, Bear Republic.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Dokta Owange wrote:Victory, Stone, Smuttynose, Dogfish Head, Rogue, North Coast, Harpoon, Magic Hat, Sierra Nevada, Bear Republic.
Boy, would I love to see those come over here. Add Ipswich to that list and I'd be in heaven!!! Some UK brewers would be much appreciated too, the likes of Cains, Harvestouin, Timothy Taylor, Meantime, Youngs and Theakston.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

I'll vote for Rogue. The Chocolate Stout is the best. I'd love to see Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Marston's Oyster Stout. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.
Hmmm, do you see a pattern here? ;)

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Cagiva650 wrote:I'll vote for Rogue. The Chocolate Stout is the best. I'd love to see Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Marston's Oyster Stout. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.
Hmmm, do you see a pattern here? ;)
All the beers you mentioned have been stocked by the LCBO in recent years, several multiple times, albeit not as regular offerings.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

Jon Walker wrote:
All the beers you mentioned have been stocked by the LCBO in recent years, several multiple times, albeit not as regular offerings.
I've had the Rogue Chocolate Stout in Ontario but haven't seen the others there. I visit ontario five or six times a year, mostly the Ottawa area,( I lived in Toronto 88,89 ) I must have missed the others. The Nova Scotia Liquor stores had the Marston's Oyster Stout a few years ago, the Young's Double Chocolate Stout was purchased in Fort McMurray of all places. A friend brought home the Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout from England.
I hope they all become regular items on the LCBO shelves. I'm allowed to dream ;)

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Definitely agree with Stone and Bear...also Great Divide, Lost Coast, Fort Collins Brewing, and closer to home, Middle Ages

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I suppose it wouldn't be asking too much for more of the Unibroue products...750's of Trois Pistoles and the other ones that we used to be able to get would be fantastic. Chambly is just a few hours down the road for pete's sake.
Saison Dupont was delisted without too much adieu. With that there are no saisons available at the LCBO, as well as bieres de garde for that matter. Saison Dupont Vielle Provision and Saison Pipaix would be sweet.
Lastly, what about the Great Lakes Brewing Company...I hear they make some half-decent stuff...

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

I'd vote for:
- Stone Ruination & IPA
- Stone Coast 420 IPA
- Souther Tier Harvest & IPA
- Wolavers IPA
- Great Divide Titan & Hercules Double IPA
- Sackets Harbor Thousand Island
- Lagunitas IPA
- Rogue St Rogue Red

Oops. That's the list of beers I bought at Galeville Grocery near Syracuse a couple of weekends ago. Sorry for the interruption...

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Without a doubt, more Rogue products, as well as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I'm really surprised SNPA is not here, considering it's ubiquity in the U.S., and VERY reasonable pricing.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

How about a real lambic? I sorely miss beers like Boon which we used to get a long time ago.