Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Niagara Eisbock, suitable for the cellar?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Niagara Eisbock, suitable for the cellar?

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

What kind of length in the cellar would be good? A year or two?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Depends how much you like oxidation. :D

It's not bottle-conditioned, so I'm not sure it'll get any better with age. It's interesting to compare the different vintages though.

I've got a few 04's (and hopefully a couple of 05's in a box somewhere). I'd like to pick up some 06 for comparison.

Manul

Post by Manul »

I tried for an year... Down the sink it went.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I had the 2003 Eisbock after about two years I thought it was spectacular, lots of fruits, dates, very vinous, a great sipper. Maybe problems with bottling are a factor though.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I have a full cellar of NFB Eisbock from 2000-2006. I have sampled one of the 2000 and 2003 this year and they were just fine...no notable deterioration although I don't think the aging did anything significant to these vintages because they covered their alcohol so well when they were young...the latest edition could benefit from a few months in the cellar as it does seem a tad young and unfinished.
Aventinus rules!

DrJay

Post by DrJay »

That bottle of Viggo's was really tasty. I didn't have the 2003 fresh, but it seemed to hold up very well over a couple of years.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

pootz wrote:I have a full cellar of NFB Eisbock from 2000-2006. I have sampled one of the 2000 and 2003 this year and they were just fine...no notable deterioration although I don't think the aging did anything significant to these vintages because they covered their alcohol so well when they were young...the latest edition could benefit from a few months in the cellar as it does seem a tad young and unfinished.
So only a few months then? Not a year? All righty. I picked up two bottles with the intention of trying one on the 23rd of this month, and cellaring the other bottle for a bit.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Semi-related question - does the 2006 release have the year listed on the bottle anywhere? We got a few bottles of this as part of the NSLC Christmas release. The picture in NSLC's Occasions magazine clearly has a 2005 on the bottle, but the actual bottles for sale have no year listed. I'm curious if these are leftovers from the 2005 batch or the 2006.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Bobbyok wrote:Semi-related question - does the 2006 release have the year listed on the bottle anywhere? We got a few bottles of this as part of the NSLC Christmas release. The picture in NSLC's Occasions magazine clearly has a 2005 on the bottle, but the actual bottles for sale have no year listed. I'm curious if these are leftovers from the 2005 batch or the 2006.
Just looked over my bottles and I couldn't find a year listed anywhere.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Bobbyok wrote:Semi-related question - does the 2006 release have the year listed on the bottle anywhere? We got a few bottles of this as part of the NSLC Christmas release. The picture in NSLC's Occasions magazine clearly has a 2005 on the bottle, but the actual bottles for sale have no year listed. I'm curious if these are leftovers from the 2005 batch or the 2006.
Good question :-?

The 2005 was the first release with the gold stenciled bottle and it was clearly marked as "2005"...this does not bear the year so it is a new bottle but it does taste different than last years release ...at least by my reconing.

I can't see them not selling out 2005....if they didn't it means they had some in a holding vessel and filled these new bottles with it...can't see that happening but you never know.

The blurb on the back of the container tube says that they won awards for their 2005 and 2006 Eisbock...but still didn't state if they were separate vintage.
Aventinus rules!