Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Mill Street Tankhouse

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Mill Street Tankhouse

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I just had a bottle of the newest batch, and it was underwhelming at best. Seriously, it was middle of the road, and that is being generous. The hops were almost all gone, and the aggressive spicyness that I usually get was faded. The beer was almost all malt and caramel, which is fine, but not what I was expecting.

I also got a distinct skunk on the aroma and finish, which has never happened before.

Anyone else notice changes?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Manul

Post by Manul »

The reason I never buy Tankhouse ( anywhere else other than their brewpub) is because the production date doesn't seem to be printed on the bottle/label. I don't like to take chances when it comes down to local products that sell relatively slow in comparison with some imports... which, BTW, all have clearly printed production and/or expiry dates. If any of you know how to figure out the production date for Tankhouse please let me know, I'd really like to know.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

The keg version has also been downright awful for the past 2 months. The flavours that used to draw me to a nice refreshing Tankhouse have all but disappeared and now it's just plain bland. The perils of moving to new premises, I guess? A shame as this was a truly outstanding ale at one time.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Torontoblue wrote:The keg version has also been downright awful for the past 2 months. The flavours that used to draw me to a nice refreshing Tankhouse have all but disappeared and now it's just plain bland. The perils of moving to new premises, I guess? A shame as this was a truly outstanding ale at one time.

A good point about the move, but I assume the recipe is the same?

I am worried but currently the Tankhouse is one of hoppiest beers I can get, and is a regular in my fridge, but if it is going to taste like the few I had last night, I'[ll be safe and buy Headstrong Pale instead.

WHich by the way, is often underlooked amongst beer afficionados.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Headstrong is a far better beer than Tankhouse, IMHO. Not as consistent in flavour but for quality it is. I kinda like the quirliness of Headstrong in that one bottle will be ultra hoppy and the other will be really malty; it keeps you guessing but never disappoints :D

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Uh-oh. This is concerning. I bought some Tankhouse from the LCBO last month, and I was also underwhelmed, as was my wife.

I was hoping it was just an off-day for me, or for the beer. Or that perhaps my recent drinking of some strong yankee brews had affected my palate.

Now that the rest of you have similar feelings, I am very concerned.

Do not f*ck with my Tankhouse. :x

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Bottle is slightly different too, is it not? Squarer, not as streamlined or tapered at the top.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I drink it on tap about twice a week here in London, and AFAIK , that taps havent changed muchm, but the bottled version is absolutely 100% different than even a few months ago. The hops are muted, as is the spice and body. Nicht gut.

Stomp Brockmore

Post by Stomp Brockmore »

Wow, that's bad news...

If it's true that Mill St. has decided, after all this time, to change the recipe of the Tankhouse, then that makes no sense to me at all. Why would they want to go and mess up their award-winning beer, and the one that put Mill St. on the map amongst beer afficionados, making them a stand-out brewery? I had a couple of bottles of the Tankhouse in mid-Decemeber, and they were both very good. I haven't had one since. I hope this is just some kind of temporary brewing fluke...

First the Sgt. Major takes a step back from the hops, and now the Tankhouse? Bad scene.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

I'd like to agree with the others that state this ale is a shadow of its former glory...less body...toned down hopping...nondescript malts and flavor profile....at least in the bottle verson which is all I sampled recently.

Given this is made in a large capacity brewing set up it seems that the oringinal recipie didn't transfer well to larger batches...or the tweeking is slow because of the large batches...or maybe they purposely dumbed it down.

Seems Millstreet's brew pub is still making good quality craft brews but the new facility they run their bottle sales from is lacking somewhere.
Aventinus rules!

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Interesting reports.

I will try the current batch soon and give my opinion.

Gary

habfour

Post by habfour »

I've had Tankhouse twice in the last couple of weeks and totally agree that there is a difference. Hopefully, some one at Mill St can provide an answer. :cry:

liammckenna

Post by liammckenna »

I agree Torontoblue with your draft assessment.

I sent the brewery an email at the end of September wondering if they had changed anything after an awful pint.

Never heard back at all.

Ah, the pressures of growth.

Pax.

Liam

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I've e-mailed them twice, and have also received no replies.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I do not appear to have reviewed tankhouse formally on my blog but I did get a six on the weekend to send one as part of the National Beer Policy (ie sending the stuff to people out west who send me stuff in return) and I thought it had gone way downhill. No more bright English style hops, much closer to the dreaded Mount Hood hop character - or rather characterlessness.