Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Thomas Hardy's Ale Now In Ontario

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Thomas Hardy's Ale Now In Ontario

Post by GregClow »

In today's edition of his What's Brewing column, Josh Rubin reports that the world-renowned Thomas Hardy's Ale is now available in Ontario.

Roland and Russell, a company that previously specialized in importing wines and spirits from Eastern Europe, have recently become agents for O'Hanlon's, the brewery that has produced Thomas Hardy's since the brand was revived in 2003.

Several vintages are currently available at beerbistro, with prices ranging from $15.99 to $19.50, and Smokeless Joe & Volo will be receiving stock when the next shipment arrives in a month or two. In addition, Roland and Russell are accepting private orders at a cost of $112.80 per case (24 x 8.5 oz). They can be contacted at sales@rolandandrussell.com or 416-801-9885.

Bar Towel News link: http://www.bartowel.com/news/archives/000254.php

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Great news that it is available and we have a choice where to get it - thanks G.
In Beerum Veritas

flip

Post by flip »

I never thought I'd see this beer in Ontario, let alone have the chance to order a case of it. :D

I jumped at the opportunity to get my hands on some this and sent an email to request a case. A lady called me back a couple of hours later to get the details. Nice service!

FYI: She mentioned that Roland and Russell has managed to get O'Hanlon's Royal Oak selected for next Fall's LCBO beer release.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I'll be ordering a case of this as well.

Thanks for the heads up, Greg!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I've gotten word from Joe that O'Hanlon's Wheat, Port Stout, Royal Oak, and Yellow Hammer are currently available at Smokeless.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

flip wrote:I never thought I'd see this beer in Ontario, let alone have the chance to order a case of it. :D
Thomas Hardy's was a consignment offering from Esprit three years ago. The price was about $170 per case, so $112-and-change seems like a bargain.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I talked with Roland and Russell today and got some more information:
- the earliest vintage available from the brewery is 2006
- they are currently taking orders for the 2006 and expect delivery in 4-6 weeks and by early March at the latest
- the 2007 vintage will be available in the fourth quarter this year
- they can also piggyback other beers on an order from the brewery if anyone is interested.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I ordered some by phone - Lillianna says the supply is very limited. So better to move on it than miss out.
In Beerum Veritas

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

Belgian wrote:I ordered some by phone - Lillianna says the supply is very limited. So better to move on it than miss out.
After seeing this post I emailed Roland and Russell saying I would call them Friday morning to place my order. A few minutes after I sent the email, Lillianna called to say they were placing their order first thing Friday and so I placed my order in right then. I'm not sure if anyone else will see this message in time, but if you do, you really have to act fast if you want to get in on this order.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

I ordered mine today, good service from these guys.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I got a bit more info from R&R regarding the Thomas Hardy's and other O'Hanlon's beers:
We're expediting this order because the quantities are limited and we are trying to get as many cases as possible before they are reserved for other markets. The French and the Italians are showing interest and O'Hanlons told us they will be shipping THA to those countries. This is one of the reasons we are rushing with this order. If there is more interest we will place another order in the near future keeping in mind that to get the best price we need to order full pallets.

Roland + Russell will have a limited number of cases available on consignment, at a slightly higher cost.

The 2007 vintage will not be released until the fourth quarter of this year. We will do our best to secure whatever is left from the 2006 vintage.

All other O'Hanlon's beers (Original Port Stout, Royal Oak, Yellow Hammer and Double Champion Wheat Beer) may also of course be ordered year round through Roland + Russell with the exception of Goodwill Bitter which is a Christmas beer.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

There's still time to get in on this order but you'll have to contact them over the weekend to add your name to the list. Orders are subject to case availability from the brewer.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Order confirmed today. Apparently Greg will get notified here first when the product is in and final pricing is set. Good stuff. :wink:
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Brief update from Valdo at R+R about the O'Hanlon's order:
The first shipment should be here in the LCBO warehouse by the
end of March. The second one will follow soon after, it left for Glasgow
last week so it should be in April. The private ordering process is so
brutally slooow!
I'm not sure which shipment includes the Thomas Hardy's, or if there is some included in both of them. I guess we'll find out when the first one arrives.

Vlado also filled me in on a couple of other breweries that they are repping - I'll be making a news post about that soon.