Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Syracuse Beer Fest on Feb. 3...who's coming?

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lubiere

Syracuse Beer Fest on Feb. 3...who's coming?

Post by Lubiere »

Hello all!

Myself and Inertiaboy are heading to Syracuse for the beerfest on Feb. 3. Probstk and the Honeyman may join.

The Ottawa crew will be there. Is there anyone from the TO going? This is a small but fun little fest. We will attend the afternoon session.

A special invite to our friends in the Kingston area (thats you, Al the Beerblogger).

http://www.nysfair.org/expo/event?event=115

Lubiere

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I'll be in Seattle that weekend. (Yeah, I know - boo hoo for me!) Looks like a good fest, though. I hope to make it there one of these years.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I'm in L.A. that weekend. I'll drown my sorrows in Alesmith and Stone instead. :cry:
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Not unless you want to pick me up in TO on the way ;)
Have fun! It sounds like a good time.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

I am planning to hit the afternoon session with a couple of others from Kingston.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

i am in the usa this week, next week, and the week following that fest. i'm travelled out. But let me know if anyone wants to meet at al's cask fest labour day sunday there, i went last year.

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

Hey - it was a great time and good to meet Inertiaboy and Lumiere. We were not able to hook up later as the guys I was with fell asleep over their Dino BBQ ribs and had to bail on Clarks.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

we were a little worried after talking to that ex-marine that gave you a lift downtown - we kept picturing something out of Pulp Fiction happening.

good little festival, the afternoon session was well-attended but not crowded. enough things to keep it interesting: Southern Tier, Allagash, Victory, Dogfish Head, Stone, and many others.

downtown Syracuse was good. Clarks had Hercules Double IPA and the Blue Tusk had Victory Storm King along with some interesting new ones - North Coast Brother Thelonious, Brooklyn Cuvee d'Achouffe, Chouffe Houblon. makes you want to cry sometimes.

big lesson from the festival - when the weather forecast says 'lake effect flurries', you should either head way inland or call ahead for a reservation in Watertown. on the plus side, we made it to the 48-hour limit so we didn't have to pay duty on our beer.

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

Was a pleasure meeting Al! As we only knew what is forehead looked like, the little cardboard saying Al the Beerblogger came in handy.

For the plus side of Watertown, me and Steve did a mini tasting in the room with some Sly Fox Odysee Imperial IPA, some Brooklyn Chocolate Stout (7.99 at Wegmans), some old cheddar from NY and some Spanish Drunken Goat cheese.

You guys must have left pretty early....oh well, c'est la vie!

On a frappé la route ce matin! :D

Al of Kingston

Post by Al of Kingston »

Good for you to stop. It was crazy but we were in a 4x4 and sat behind a truck going 20 km as idiots went by and then ended up in the ditch. We were on the road early for sure - back in Kingston by about 1 pm. But I picked up about 24 new to me single US craft beers between the Party Source and Galeville Grocery.

And, yes, that US marine was a bit of an exciting driver. But he congratulated us personally a number of times for getting the evacuees out of the embassy in Iran in 1979 which nice of him.

PS: you know what makes you cry? Missing out on Clarks and the Blue Tusk.