Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Downtown Mocha Brown

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PRMason
Bar Fly

Downtown Mocha Brown

Post by PRMason »

I delivered two pins of this to Toronto yesterday morning. C'est What? had one for the Brewers Festival and Volo has one ready to go. The pin at C'est What? developped a slight leak in the seal, so it may have been "flatter" than it should have been. If you missed the festival, try to get a sample at Volo. In my never-ending search for new recipes, I am always looking for feedback.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Curse you Perry for raising the bar.
Very tasty downtown brown.

Just wait, we've got our best minds working on vegetable beers.
Think of quaffing a turnip & broccoli cask lager on a hot patio day.
thinking of calling it "V9" (just to be extra mean we'll dump some scotch bonnets peppers into it seeds & all) :o

From under my desk at work.
Cheers
Ken

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Perry, I tried this on cask at Volo last night and it was absolutely spot on; Well Done!! The balance was excellent throughout. The coffee & chocolate flavours were very well balanced and there was a nice little hoppyness to it as well. Look forward to the next batch.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ken,
Your comments are very strange and I like your beer. Thank you.

Guys,

here is the description of Perry's original Mocha Brown. Illy coffee and cocoa! Big'orra! Sounds like Sunday Brunch in a glass.
In Beerum Veritas

clasher

Post by clasher »

Ken -- I had a wickedely good beetroot lager in Montreal at le Cheval Blanc.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Perry, I sampled this at Volo and thought it was outstanding as well. Brilliant, bold flavours of mocha and "brown ale" malt, but nicely balanced too. As you said about carbonation, when the pint arrived it had no head whatsoever, and I thought "uh oh", but it had just enough life in it to make it drinkable and the flavours were terrific.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Had a sample at CW and it was noticably flat, but quite lovely nonetheless.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Ken,

All kidding aside, the hot pepper beer you did for Volo Cask Days was quite good. I would like to see that one again. Here were my thoughts:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/85 ... a=biegaman