Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hop Shortage in Canada

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

King Reign

Hop Shortage in Canada

Post by King Reign »

I keep reading about a real hop shortage in the US. I haven't heard much about a hop shortage in Canada. Anyone hear anything about this here?

King Reign
"Coors Light Drinker?, Youv'e Been Assimilated"

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

I have also heard of a big hop shortage and not just in the US. I have been told by various brewers and brew pubs owners that they have been warned to stock up now because the price will be increasing as crops get harder and harder to obtain.

Not surprisingly, I assume that beer prices will then rise a bit to reflect the new cost of the hops.

But at least Toronto city council aren't going to be doing the liquor taxing now.

King Reign

Post by King Reign »

The mega-brewers shouldn't raise their prices because of the shortage of hops. They don't use any I have heard.

King Reign
"Coors Light Drinker?, Youv'e Been Assimilated"

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

http://probrewer.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8916
"The hop world is upside down. In the future we see the possibility of brewers shutting down for lack of hops."

For US hops 2007 is looking like an average crop, but not a bumper crop.

Slovenia (grower of Styrians) lost at least 1/3 and possibly as much as 1/2 of their crop to a hailstorm.

The Czech crop is down 25% this year. Estimated alphas on Czech Saaz from the 2007 crop are 2.7 2.9.

The German crop is average at best with earlier aroma hops coming in below normal (such as Hallertau Mittelfruh).

New Zealand and Australia crops this year (which arrived in the US in June and July) were normal.

England is almost out of the hop business. Their acreage of 2,400 in 2006 (down from 17,000 in 1976) represents 2 percent of the worldwide acreage.

World acreage:
1986: 215,600
1992: 236,000
2006: 123,000

The demand for Cascades is up 30% this year alone. We are 300-400 acres short on Cascade compared to where we need to be. Cascade acreage was 1,003 in 2001, jumped up to 2,120 in 2003 (because one major brewer announced plans to use it, but then reversed course) and total Cascade acreage is now back near the same 2001-year-level, at 1,116 in 2006.

Prices are the highest they've ever been - and it's beyond comprehension. Cascades were priced at $7/lb. three weeks ago and are currently being quoted at or near $10.00/lb. Willamettes went from $5.50 to $7.00/lb. and may also get to $10/lb.
Be prepared to pay more for your favorite big PacNW IPA :cry:
Aventinus rules!

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Be prepared to pay more...period. Malt is slated to increase by 50% in the coming year. Hops, for example Cascade, went from $2.60 U.S.per pound to around $12.00 per pound, if you can get any!
"Every day above ground is a good one."

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

When I ordered my rhizome's in the spring, "Left Fields" in BC had a catastrophic failure with their Centennial & issues with their cascade as well. I didn't get any details though.

http://www.crannogales.com/farm.html#hops

By the way, my Mt. Hood grew like crazy but didn't flower. The cascade looked pretty lame, but I did get 8 buds from them, so hopefully they'll work out in the second year.
Last edited by Derek on Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

PRMason wrote:Be prepared to pay more...period. Malt is slated to increase by 50% in the coming year. Hops, for example Cascade, went from $2.60 U.S.per pound to around $12.00 per pound, if you can get any!
I can see how this will affect only the smaller independent craft brewer because the big guys don't use these top flight materials...they still use the cheapest stale bread and sawdust they can find....will they take advantage of the shortages causing craft beer increases and hike their price....or try an old fashoned demand economics ploy by keeping their beer the same price to gain customers switching from "expensive" craft beer ?? :-?
Aventinus rules!

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

pootz wrote:I can see how this will affect only the smaller independent craft brewer because the big guys don't use these top flight materials...they still use the cheapest stale bread and sawdust they can find....will they take advantage of the shortages causing craft beer increases and hike their price....or try an old fashoned demand economics ploy by keeping their beer the same price to gain customers switching from "expensive" craft beer ?? :-?
even more unfortunate, i heard that the "big players" who are buying this stuff by the truckload are going to see very little price difference, and most of it will be passed on to the little guys - the independent craft brewers and homebrewers. so the difference between the crap and the craft prices will grow, and there will be less incentive to make your own.

i'm certainly not brewing to save money, but it was an attractive bonus. that said, unless ontario gets a massive influx of new beer (yeah right), i'll just have to put up with it.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Hops are a commodity. The big brewers hedge their bets by buying futures and contract for large amounts. That said, even they will have to pay a lot more. Its just that they use so little...

Duffey

Post by Duffey »

I have been to two homebrew/winemaking shops in the last week who were out of Cascade hops (fresh ones, anyway) because they are too hard to find now. It looks like I'll be making more English ales in the near future.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

There is no truth to the rumour that I used up all the hops in North America. But I will someday...

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

PRMason wrote:There is no truth to the rumour that I used up all the hops in North America. But I will someday...

But I do hear that you once tried to get them all in one bottle. :lol:

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Damn near made it too! :lol:

MattB

Post by MattB »

The CBC has a report on the hop shortage on its website this morning:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/1 ... rtage.html

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

The British press has begun to pick up the hop shortage story. This piece from the Guardian suggests that a pint could rise to the equivalent of $8. It also points out that higher crude and aluminium prices are also hurting brewers:

"The average price of a pint of beer could hit £4 after poor weather forced up the price of hops. Scottish & Newcastle today forecast "material price increases" next year. The brewer, which sells three of the top 10 beer brands in Europe including Kronenbourg and Foster's, is also reviewing its supply chain in a bid to cut costs.

Industry experts say the cost of an average pint will rise by at least 15p, although some are now predicting rises of up to 60%. According to the British Beer and Pub Association (BBPA), the average price of a pint of lager is £2.50, with bitter fans paying around £2.20. A 60% hike would take the average cost of lager to £4 and that could be even higher in some bars...

...The warning of a rise in the cost of a pint coincides with new from the BBPA, which represents the brewing and pub industry, revealing that 14m fewer pints are being sold in pubs each day. Major British brewers saw their profits fall by 78% between 2004 and 2006. The BBPA says the industry is being further hampered by the Treasury which claims 33p out of the cost of every pint.

Last week a source at S&N warned that the price increases would be "way above the rate of inflation" as it tries to recoup losses from higher cereal, crude oil and aluminium prices, according to pub trade paper the Morning Advertiser."