Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Crap Beer In Restaurants

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe 99% of restaurants and bars in this province have some kind of Faustian deal with Interbrew or whatever, where they must exclusively feature their line of generic swill in exchange for some kind of discount, or maybe some signage, coasters, glassware, etc. So they wouldn't be able to carry any micros even if they wanted to. Pretty frustrating, but that's big business for you.

Let's go easy on King Reign over here...doesn't sound to me like anyone was harangued or maligned. I know we all want to help a "damsel in this dress" (or in this case, more likely black pants and sensible shoes), but I'm sure the waitress will eventually get over the trauma of being asked about an unlisted item.

She has been informed of the existence of the Wellington Brewery. Now she can easily shut down the next poor chump who dares to ask.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Perhaps restaurants shy away from beer because it doesn't pad the bill the way a bottle of wine does?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

King Reign wrote:I was the last to order in a party of six. I didn't think I was out of line ordering a Wellington beer.
First of all, I have to say that I understand your frustration. I, too, am constantly frustrated by the poor selection of beer in many restaurants.

That being said, I'm curious to know if you attempted to ORDER the beer (i.e. "I'll have a Wellington SPA"), or if you simply ASKED if they had the beer (i.e. "Do you have Wellington SPA?").

If it was the former, and you were indignant that they didn't have it, then yes, I think you were a bit out of line.

Would you order absolutely any wine made in Ontario without first looking at the wine list or asking your server what was available? Would you order whatever you were in the mood to eat without looking at the food menu first to see what they had?

If you weren't offered a beer list, you should have asked what beers were available, and then if you weren't pleased with the selections, ordered something different and passed your comments/complaints on to the manager.

All IMHO, of course.
Last edited by GregClow on Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Gedge wrote:Perhaps restaurants shy away from beer because it doesn't pad the bill the way a bottle of wine does?
That is a big reason, yes.

The supposed class divide between wine and beer is a big factor as well.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

King Reign wrote:No, I looked it over pretty good. Just a wine menu. I wasn't mean at all.
I was the last to order in a party of six. I didn't think I was out of line ordering a Wellington beer. Now, if I was hundreds of miles away, that would be different.

"intentionally/maliciously confused?".

Now I think you are confused Josh.

King Reign
No, he's not. In your original posting, it wasn't clear if you knew they didn't have the wellington at the time you ordered it. if you didn't know, it was a reasonable request on your part. if you did know, you were being a smartass, which is what josh accused you of.

King Reign

Post by King Reign »

No, I first asked if they had it. She then said she never heard of the beer or the brewery. The rest you know. After that I asked what they had. I always thought that servers hated being asked, " What's on Tap?" I would never order a beer not knowing if they had it. That would be "mean".

King Reign
"Coors Light Drinker?, Youv'e Been Assimilated"

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

As soon as I read the first post, The Keg came to mind.

I've been in the same spot, and it's frustrating. I'll usually get a Guinness, and find a nice wine to have with my meal.

I've always wished there would be some sort of 'corking' fee for beer. I'd be more than happy to bring my own.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I think this is a common problem. The all too familiar 'what's on tap' question....we hate to have to ask it, and servers hate to have to answer it.

If you're 'blind' so to say in terms of the beer served, and think they should have something then simply asking 'Do you have any Wellington beers?' would be the proper approach...at least that's what I would do.

If not, then proceed with the what's available line of questioning.

I thought a year or tow ago The Keg had made a big effort to bring in different beers, including some local micros? I could be wrong here as I only visit once or twice a year....but I guess it didn't last if they tried it.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i wouldn't give up hope on these places just yet. a local restaurant that i go to quite often with my wife is similar: huge wine list, bunch of fancy drinks, bunch of port, bunch of scotch, and domestic crap for beer. the food is incredible, so we keep going back. each time we'd fill out a comment card praising the food and suggesting they add some local craft beer. a few months ago i was in and found tankhouse on tap. since then i've been drinking it every time, mentioning how great it is on the comment cards, and suggesting that they should consider some other locals too. small steps, but they're getting there.

for anyone in or visiting markham, i'm talking about the bluestone bistro. excellent food, great service, great prices, and now (at least one) great beer. in addition to the great regular menu they always have a 'seasonal' menu with different stuff and daily specials with other interesting items. they participate in winterlicous/summerlicious too and often have other prix-fixe menus for special occasions. (not affiliated in any way, just love this place!).

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

The Keg is fine dining?

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

El Pinguino wrote:... I thought a year or tow ago The Keg had made a big effort to bring in different beers, including some local micros? I could be wrong here as I only visit once or twice a year....but I guess it didn't last if they tried it.
They did. I was surprised a h-e-l-l when a waitress offered Duvel (not a beer I would recommend with steak, but beggars can't be choosers). She messed it up by creating a four inch head on the pour, but at least the thought was there.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

My wife gets emabarrassed when we go to a restaurant and I ask, "what's on tap?" After I hear the offerings I usually say, "I think I'll just have a water."

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

King Reign wrote:I always thought that servers hated being asked, " What's on Tap?"
King Reign
Isn't it great when the really lazy/ignorant ones respond with "everything".

With further questioning, you usually get "Bud, bud light, blue, blue light, Keiths..."

Anyway, if you haven't been to the Marienbad, you should check it out. It's owned by (and attached to) the Chaucer's Pub, with plenty of great beers. And I was going there for the food before they had good beer!

Yeah, if I'm not drinking beer or coffee, it's usually just water.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

With regards to The Keg, I did convince a manager to bring in Maudite for awhile...they do have some power to bring in a certain beer that is readily available and there is some demand for.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We undertook a beer programme with all Ontario Keg restaurants about 2 years ago which included Duvel, Mort Subite, St. Peter's English and a few others. Most restaurants ordered once and we never heard from them again. Head Office was willing but it seems that it just didn't get down to the restaurant level. Same thing happened with Four Point Sheraton Hotels. When the local establishment and their staff aren't attuned to what head office wants, and usualy they're not, these programmes falter. We still go ahead with them everytime we're approached but we end up supplying a lot of free glassware and selling almost nothing as the execution is usually pathetic. Staff doesn't want to "sell" beer, it's easier to take orders.
Personally, I always complain about beer selection and to wheover will listen including wait staff. I don't berate them personally but I always tell them how I feel and suggest that they mention it to management...usually it's not about my beers but rather why they don't have a single domestic micro on their list.
Funny story, last year, Bruce Williams who is the brewmaster for the brewery that produces Fraoch and other Scottish Ales was in town and we wanted to grab a bite and a pint. He was in a hotel on Jarvis so we dropped into the Red Lion which at one time was owned by a friend of mine. Their tap list was atrocious and I told the barman just that. I asked why he had no Ontario micros and he then added that they had Creemore to which I replied "great". At that point I found out he was the owner and he proceeded to tell me he didn't want my business and to geht the "*#%@" out of his bar...which we did. He then followed us outside and wanted to get into some fisticuffs with me...be careful who you complain to. Needless to say, the Red Lion under it's current ownership is persona non grata to me and I would recommend anyone and everyone stay away from this dive.