Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Years travel - please help!

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

crushinat0r

New Years travel - please help!

Post by crushinat0r »

Hey all,

I'm looking to go on a trip for new years.. I'm taking the girl friend with me, so with that in mind, here's what I want:

- somewhere in North America
- somewhere that is relatively warm (it's f'n cold up here in Toronto, a break from the cold would be nice)
- somewhere that has stuff to see/do (a relatively major city - but not crazy, not NY, etc)
- MOST IMPORTANTLY: somewhere that has good/great micros or availability to good american brew (again, we have limited access up here)

I want to enjoy some nice sites or stuff to do.. I want to have some nice beer while I'm there.. and ideally I'd love to bring some stuff back with me.

That's it, all suggestions welcome!

J

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

crushinat0r wrote:
- somewhere that is relatively warm (it's f'n cold up here in Toronto, a break from the cold would be nice)
- somewhere that has stuff to see/do (a relatively major city - but not crazy, not NY, etc)
- MOST IMPORTANTLY: somewhere that has good/great micros or availability to good american brew (again, we have limited access up here)
I want to enjoy some nice sites or stuff to do.. I want to have some nice beer while I'm there.. and ideally I'd love to bring some stuff back with me.

J
how much time do you have?
ya know, if you get over your weather requirement, Montreal would fit the bill fabulously. great brewpubs, great restaurants, great cultural scene. and you could either drive or take the train. it'd be quick, relatively inexpensive, and a blast.

if weather's really a problem, and you have a bit of time, you could always visit san francisco...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

crushinat0r wrote:- somewhere in North America
That's easy:

San Diego.

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

tuqueboy wrote:
crushinat0r wrote:

J
how much time do you have?
ya know, if you get over your weather requirement, Montreal would fit the bill fabulously. great brewpubs, great restaurants, great cultural scene. and you could either drive or take the train. it'd be quick, relatively inexpensive, and a blast.

if weather's really a problem, and you have a bit of time, you could always visit san francisco...
Yeah Montreal would fit the bill (aside from the weather).. I had the same thought. I took the gf to Montreal for the Canada Day long weekend. :D So yeah, that's out.

FYI, I'll be going for only 3 nights.

My buddy already suggested San Diego, so that's up there for sure.. Might just have to book San Diego :D

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Culturally, S.F. is a great place to visit, and you can drive through wine country or maybe even head up to the North Coast brewery in Fort Bragg (not sure if they do tours). They have a very established beer culture there.

San Diego is not as cool a destination IMO, but you've got Pizza Port, L.A. just to the north and if you really want, you can cross over into Tijuana pretty easily.

Otherwise I would suggest: a road trip through Portland/Yakima/Coeur D'Alene, or Denver, or D.C./Baltimore, or Boston.

flip

Post by flip »

I can vouch for San Fran. We visited last March and really enjoyed ourselves. In San Francisco we really liked Magnolia Brew Pub. We took a side trip north to Sonoma County for a couple of days and stopped by Bear Republic in Healdsburg and Russian River in Santa Rosa and also did a bike tour to visit wineries, which was great.
Last edited by flip on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I'd also go for San Francisco. In fact I'm so in favour of the place, that a month ago we booked a flight and hotel to spend our new years there. Sounds like there are lots of really great bars, and after reading the guidebook there is more than enough great things to do in and around the city to justify a trip of 4 days or so. If you search for a city in the 'places' section of ratebeer, you will find lots of useful information and reviews of bar, breweries and bottle shops.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I agree with all the recos so far. If you want to stay within our borders there's also Victoria. Nice place to take the gf, and you could stay at Spinnakers or Swans which are cool.

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

Looks like San Fran might be the winner.

I was in Victoria last year and sampled all that Swans had to offer.. BC beer is great, Howe Sound, Tree, Phillips, Granville Island.. Oh man, I want a beer!
Cass wrote:I agree with all the recos so far. If you want to stay within our borders there's also Victoria. Nice place to take the gf, and you could stay at Spinnakers or Swans which are cool.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

flip wrote: In San Francisco we really liked Magnolia Brew Pub.
Magnolia brew pub, home of the best-named barley wine ever: Old Thunderpussy.

Duct Tape

Post by Duct Tape »

tuqueboy wrote:
Toronado

http://www.toronado.com/

Enjoy the life of the Haight...if you are ok with Hippies. and ex-hippies :P
"If the Women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-------
Please visit www.OHLPhotos.com & http://www.flickr.com/photos/55976115@N00/

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

tuqueboy wrote:
Oh - my - god.. ok SOLD, San Francisco it is! Woot! Now to get tickets... and figure out what area of town to stay in.. I hear it's pretty sketchy.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

For San Francisco accommodations, check out Joie de Vivre hotels. Their properties are all good quality and their website frequently features online-only specials. Is your timing set? Because you might want to factor in Beerapolooza week, which starts with the Double IPA fest at The Bistro in Hayward on Feb. 9 and continues through to the Barleywine Fest at The Toronado beginning on the 16th and running for the week following.

flip

Post by flip »

crushinat0r wrote:
tuqueboy wrote:
Oh - my - god.. ok SOLD, San Francisco it is! Woot! Now to get tickets... and figure out what area of town to stay in.. I hear it's pretty sketchy.
I'll put in a Plug for The Red Victorian. It's an, how to put it, "interesting" (but in a good way) B&B right in the middle of the Haight and Ashbury district. The rooms are all eclectically decorated, clean, and the prices are quite reasonable. We really enjoyed it, and so did the friends who stayed with us. The breakfast portion of the B&B kind of sucked, but there was a great breakfast place called The Pork Store Cafe around a block away. Now for the most important part: it's easy walking distance to Magnolia and a long walk to Toronado. There's also a great Burrito place across the street called El Balazo: it completely dusts Burrito Boys, if you've been there.

There are some hotels by the Union Square area where I had other friends stay but I can't offer specifics. It was centrally located but a deadzone in the evening.

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

Yeah that place looks pretty nice. A little out of the way. I decided to go with a more central location (Club Quarters - in the financial district - seems to be pretty close to everything). I might rent a car for a day to go beer shopping, unless there's a good place right downtown. I hope to make it out to any brewpubs in the area! I'm booked and can't wait, thanks so much for the input. I'll be reviewing the suggested venues from this post and any proposed places from ratebeer as well. Awesome!
flip wrote:
crushinat0r wrote:
tuqueboy wrote: Magnolia brew pub, home of the best-named barley wine ever: Old Thunderpussy.
I'll put in a Plug for The Red Victorian. It's an, how to put it, "interesting" (but in a good way) B&B right in the middle of the Haight and Ashbury district. The rooms are all eclectically decorated, clean, and the prices are quite reasonable. We really enjoyed it, and so did the friends who stayed with us. The breakfast portion of the B&B kind of sucked, but there was a great breakfast place called The Pork Store Cafe around a block away. Now for the most important part: it's easy walking distance to Magnolia and a long walk to Toronado. There's also a great Burrito place across the street called El Balazo: it completely dusts Burrito Boys, if you've been there.

There are some hotels by the Union Square area where I had other friends stay but I can't offer specifics. It was centrally located but a deadzone in the evening.