Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Warmers 2007 release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

The_Jester wrote:Sorry to change the subject, but (in case you haven't noticed), the John By seems to be coming available everywhere now. Heads up.
Not yet in Windsor, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

I have been under the weather for a while and unable to drive long distances. Both Ron and Donna, the brewery owners, have done superhuman efforts to bring it to you themselves. It should be everywhere its supposed to be by New Years. The release lasts until March 31, so no panic.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

PRMason wrote:I have been under the weather for a while and unable to drive long distances. Both Ron and Donna, the brewery owners, have done superhuman efforts to bring it to you themselves. It should be everywhere its supposed to be by New Years. The release lasts until March 31, so no panic.
To you and them, Merry Christams and tell them the superhuman effort was worth it:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/scotch-iri ... 722/11041/

:wink:
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Gedge wrote:Looks like all of the winter release has made it to the shelves with the exception of the Harviestoun Old Engine Oil. Any word on when that one will make an appearance?
Just got a response from the LCBO on this:

"Harviestoun Old Engine Oil (# 64030) is currently on hold in our
warehouse pending a label adjustment. We do not yet have a date for its
release to our stores."

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

nice of them to age it for us

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

"Harviestoun Old Engine Oil (# 64030) is currently on hold in our
warehouse pending a label adjustment. We do not yet have a date for its
release to our stores."
I don't mind getting this beer several months late because I know I will not die from drinking label-adjusted products.

Thanks Big Brother. :wink: What would we do without you.
In Beerum Veritas

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Can't wait to get my hands on some Old Engine.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

The Old Engine Oil is now showing up on the LCBO system. Mostly in Missassauga right now, but also with a few bottles at Summerhill. It will set you back $2.95 for a 330ml bottle. Have fun!

Raptor2023

Post by Raptor2023 »

Bobsy wrote:The Old Engine Oil is now showing up on the LCBO system. Mostly in Missassauga right now, but also with a few bottles at Summerhill. It will set you back $2.95 for a 330ml bottle. Have fun!
Sweet! I've been waiting for this to arrive.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Picked up a few yesterday. Rich, roasty flavour on this one. Great winter beer - especially if you like porters (and yes, I know this is a dark ale, but it tastes stoutish/porterish to me).

I was surprised to see St. Louis Gueuze at Summerhill. It's new to me so I picked up a couple (though I see it's not highly regarded over at ratebeer.com).

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Gedge wrote:I was surprised to see St. Louis Gueuze at Summerhill. It's new to me so I picked up a couple (though I see it's not highly regarded over at ratebeer.com).
That's interesting...I think I'll pick one up on the way home. I don't really pay much attention to how other people rate a beer, because there's only one opinion that matters. Does anyone know why the gueuze is turning up? Is it part of a long-delayed release or a new addition to the regular lineup? I couldn't see anything else in the forums.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I'm pretty sure the Old Engine Oil and the Gueze don't exist outside of the GTA. Which really sucks. We're still dealing with Yankee Jim "Ice Bock" and Innis & Gunn's butter flavoured "IPA" Special Edition (which I've heard pairs well with popcorn). :cry:

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

JesseM wrote:I'm pretty sure the Old Engine Oil and the Gueze don't exist outside of the GTA. Which really sucks. We're still dealing with Yankee Jim "Ice Bock" and Innis & Gunn's butter flavoured "IPA" Special Edition (which I've heard pairs well with popcorn). :cry:
Jesse, the LCBO listing for both of these is only showing it in a few stores right now, so they must just be rolling them out. Fingers crossed it will be in your part of the province soon. I don't like how people outside of Toronto get shafted like this.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseM wrote:...Innis & Gunn's butter flavoured "IPA" Special Edition (which I've heard pairs well with popcorn). :cry:
Yeah, I try to be open-minded but those Innis & Gunn novelty beers are real dipshit choices considering the LC bring in so few obvious ones such as Imperials, IPAs and great Belgians.

At least the Fullers VA and St. Ambroise VA were both pretty good.
In Beerum Veritas

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

JesseM wrote:I'm pretty sure the Old Engine Oil and the Gueze don't exist outside of the GTA. Which really sucks. We're still dealing with Yankee Jim "Ice Bock" and Innis & Gunn's butter flavoured "IPA" Special Edition (which I've heard pairs well with popcorn). :cry:
Unless it has been completely reformulated, we're not missing anything with the Gueuze. It's far too sweet, IMO.

I don't know where the butter reference comes from with the Innis & Gunn IPA. I didn't get that at all, and found it fairly interesting.