Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Montreal - Dieu du Ciel and surrounding area

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Montreal - Dieu du Ciel and surrounding area

Post by Cass »

This weekend I'm in Montreal for fun, and we're staying above Dieu du Ciel at the apartment that they rent - what a place! Nice and spacious, two bedrooms plus a futon, huge kitchen and it couldn't be more convenient. It is at 27 Laurier, literally the next door from DDC which is 29. You don't need even need a jacket to go drinking even in the Montreal cold.

And I've found a depanneur at 151 Laurier, just a couple of blocks down, which has a great selection of Quebec beers, including about a half dozen of DDC's bottles. Peche Mortel will definitely be coming home with me.

Anyway, solid reco from me on DDC's apartment.
Last edited by Cass on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

The depanneur is Depanneur Rahman.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Sounds interesting, Cass!

Tell us more. How is the apartment in terms of noise from the pub? How much per night?

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

sstackho wrote:Sounds interesting, Cass!

Tell us more. How is the apartment in terms of noise from the pub? How much per night?
Noise wouldn't be an issue since you'd be at the pub anyhow.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Yeah, I wasn't bothered by the noise since I was making it myself in the pub. As long as you like staying out late then noise would never be a problem.

The price ranges from $110 - $150 per night depending on length of stay. There was wireless internet, a full kitchen and even laundry.

It truly is a neat place to stay. I might have to go to Montreal for business in the next little while and was going to try to book it again. The only drawback is that DDC doesn't open until 3pm every day!

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Well, I like staying out late. Unfortunately, the 1-year-old makes it difficult to actually do so. 8)

Hey, bad parent idea: Maybe we could leave the sleeping baby upstairs and bring the baby monitor to the pub! :wink:

But seriously, if you get a sense for noise leakage from the pub, let me know.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

tupalev, blankboy, HogTownHarry and I are staying there for a weekend in February. Can't wait!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I really didn't think the noise was that bad, but you'd probably want a second opinion, I can sleep through anything.

Just give your one-year old a taste of Peche Mortel and the baby will be sleep nice and soundly! :-)

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Cass, I am going to Montreal next week did you have to call the Brewery to reserve the room or is there another number?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I've always done it over email - gerants@dieuduciel.com.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

We booked by email as well...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

While you're in the area, don't forget to check out Reservoir which is sout of the pub off St Laurent, and Vices et Versa which is north. Here's some other area suggestions if you're interested...

Fantastic Portugese chicken can be found at Romados (south off St Laurent)

Excellent poutine at Patati Patata (south on St Laurent)

Great brunch at Les Entretiens (east on Laurier).

Good French patisserie at de Gascogne (west on Laurier).

Live music at Sala Rosa & Casa del Popolo (south on St Laurent)

Fairmount Bagels are just north around the corner.

Sorry I don't have any specific addresses but you can easily find everything in google.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I've had excellent experiences at Dieu de Ciel, it has a typical Montreal ambience and is very friendly.

I would advise a trip to Amere a Boire on St-Denis as well for its fine strong stout and Czech-style pilsener.

I also like Sergeant Recruteur, further up on St-Laurent, for its real ale and bohemian vibe. I am sure it is still going strong although I haven't been there in a few years.

I remain interested to follow the beers at the 3 Brasseurs chain. On my visit last year, the beers seemed lesser than I recalled, it may depend too which outlet you go to. Try the sampler and then decide what you like, I find the Brune reliably good and and the lager is very French-tasting, it's like the "comptoir" draft at the countless tabac and other bars in Paris, in fact better than those but both types share a typically earthy hop taste. (I think it is an Alsace or German hop which gives it that taste and some other Euro drafts have it too).

There are numerous other beer hang-outs in Montreal and none are bad but these in particular are always enjoyable and often superb IMO.

Gary
Last edited by old faithful on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Vices et Versa may be the best beer place to go to in Montreal right now, DDC included (no disrespect to DDC, both are amazing).

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Awesome, thanks for all the tips guys.