Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Shot in the dark

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Raisy

Shot in the dark

Post by Raisy »

While I was in Toronto a couple of weeks ago, I tried a bottle of the Lindemans Faro Lambic at BeerBistro. I really enjoyed it, despite not usually liking lambics. Does anyone know where I can find this? I know I won't find it at my local LCBO, but I can't seem to find it in Michigan either. Is it available in the states? Or if anyone has a stash, would someone be willing to part with a couple?

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

We're the Canadian agent for Lindemans and we only brought in 5 cases of Faro for beerbistro. Lindemans is one of the few remaining lambic breweries which produce a Faro which is a very old-style lambic made with sugar. In the U.S. they are represented by www.merchantduvin.com but their distributor does not carry the Faro...sorry.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

On the same note:

I had a glass of Cantillon's Faro at the brewery last fall. I was there for their Open Brewing Day (highly recommended) and the Faro was a nice choice for the first beer of the morning (it was about 9:30 am). :-)

As I recall, it was very pleasant. Quite sweet, but with an underlying sourness and the signature Cantillon aroma. Not something I'd want every day (especially if I had other Cantillon beers as alternatives), but a nice treat when visiting the brewery, and especially nice given the rarity and history behind the style.

-Josh

Raisy

Post by Raisy »

Well that sucks, but thanks for the update.

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

esprit wrote:We're the Canadian agent for Lindemans and we only brought in 5 cases of Faro for beerbistro. Lindemans is one of the few remaining lambic breweries which produce a Faro which is a very old-style lambic made with sugar. In the U.S. they are represented by www.merchantduvin.com but their distributor does not carry the Faro...sorry.
Not to be picky, but I think you'll find that nearly all the true lambic breweries produce faros. Its just that there are few remaining lambic breweries....

Very few bottle faro because it is an unstable product. As you said, in faro sugar is added to lambic. The problem is that the lambic still has live yeast which will eat the sugar. If you bottled a traditional faro the bottle it was in would explode.

The few lambic brewers that do bottle either kill the yeast (pasteurization?) before adding the sugar or use some kind of unfermentable sugar.