Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Jenlain Biere de Printemps

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Jenlain Biere de Printemps

Post by JesseM »

Wow, is one word I can use to describe this one. I was worried I wasn't ready for beer quite yet after my recent epidsode, but this one lay to rest any apprehensions I had.

I found it almost hard to describe. Looks exactly like champagne. Smells, weird, funky. Tasts, weird, funky, barn yard, toffee like, but delicious.

I only wish the bottle wasn't so lame looking. The logo looks like some sort of bacardi imitation, and the bizarre colours make it look like some stupid cooler. The beer inside deserves so much better. What happened to the cool looking bottle in the picture on RateBeer?

I'll definitely be buying a lot more of this when I can!

Raptor2023

Post by Raptor2023 »

JesseM wrote:What happened to the cool looking bottle in the picture on RateBeer?
I think the bottle pictured on ratebeer is the 750 ml one. It's just my guess. I'm also itching to try this one out, just waiting until some arrive in 'Sauga.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

This one was a drain pour for me. I don't know if this beer is representative for the style, but like the Scholss Eggenberg 23º UrBock, I couldn't get past the sweetness. In this case, it tasted more like kool-aid than beer.

I remember enjoyining a Church Key biere de garde which I found realy subtle and enjoyable, back in April 2006 at BB. Perhaps I was hoping to find a similar taste in the Jenlain.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It is actually wonderful we all have such different tastes in beer, because I loved the Urbock 23º and am now willing to try the Jenlain based on the initial Jesse description (which seems to place it very loosely in the realm of Saison or Gueuze or Flemish Sour, at least in one or two aspects.) Worth getting excited over anything remotely belgian-esque IMO.

God bless you guys for making beer so much fun.
In Beerum Veritas

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Belgian, I completely agree with you. This forum is great for that. I read something someone writes about a beer, and it helps me gain a different perspective on it, and maybe even enjoy it more. It's really great to have a forum like this for discussion with people who are in the same beer hemisphere I am. I stopped posting at ratebeer for a number of reasons, but one of the major ones was that I just couldn't relate to anyone.

Jenlain rocks, but I've noticed a difference from bottle to bottle. In general though, it's a solid beer. I think it's something lager-lovers enjoy because it's so similar to a well made pilsener.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

This is a solid offering, and one I will re-visit often, but I do prefer the Jenlain Ambree. It's like a spicy belgian toffee treat.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

To me this tasted like what would happen if a macro tried to do a Saison. Not bad, not great, thoroughly forgettable. I just didn't find there was much to it. A little bit of candy sugar, some citrus hints and some graininess, but all rather ho-hum.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Saison anyone? We still have stock of Saison Dupont and if you're a fan of this style then buy some as this brand defines the style.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I tried my first one of these in Feb/Mar of this year and thought it was quite average, with some distinctly off-putting characteristics....under-carbonated, slightly sour aroma, unbalanced hop-to-malt ratio (overly grainy with not much of malt profile). I let this sucker sit for 5-6 months as per the "beer for keeping" translation and almost every aspect of this beer improved. In addition to the existing floral and grass aroma, nice hits of citrus and spice appeared and the sourness disappeared. In the flavour grain was still present but now was balanced by noticable sweet fruits and caramel notes, almost similar to a Belgan tripel. Added carbonation gave it a now slightly creamy texture. I only picked up two of these when they were initally released and scoffed a t picking up more when I saw them sitting on the shelves all spring due to my first encounter, but now I definitely wish I had picked up more.