Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Another reason to fight global warming....

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Chris

Another reason to fight global warming....

Post by Chris »

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I saw that, and was thinking of posting that, but I didn't want to get all political on you. :D

I'm one of those rare individuals who a) doesn't believe global warming is a man-made phenomenon, even though b) I believe some global warming would be beneficial to our society, all while being c) a literal card-carrying member of the Ontario Green Party.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

shintriad wrote: I'm one of those rare individuals who a) doesn't believe global warming is a man-made phenomenon..
"Believe" is a good word - it's easy to take these ideas for granted as real fact. GW's just an idea, an hypothesis.

I do however think it's great to make people a little afraid of the harm we can do if we heedlessly pollute & overuse fossil fuels. It impacts all our lives.

One great thing that could come out of high fuel costs is some market 'de-globalization' - ie. we stop supporting foreign production of goods we can make here. Less transport, less fuel wasted, less pollution. There are 'hidden costs' to importing everything from far away. We only import and buy those goods because it is cheaper near-term, often disregarding inferior quality & shorter product life span (= added landfill costs and hence still more pollution.)

Government has to get behind it though, enforce restrictions, and not be pussy about it. Industry and the TSE can't decide the rules of the game, not without long-term harm. Humanity has some growing up to do.
In Beerum Veritas

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Belgian wrote:...Humanity has some growing up to do.
Humanity has already stepped over the cliff. And unless someone sees a parachute somewhere, I'm just gonna enjoy a few good beers on the way down.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman