Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Rowers Sinks

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Similar experience at Joe Badali's (of all places) on Friday night before the Raptors game. I was dreading the tap selection but Tankhouse had just been added to the macro crew. A very pleasant surprise.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

GregClow wrote:
tuqueboy wrote:it is a shame, though, that the market won't support more good beer places.
Oh, yeah? Tell that to beerbistro, Volo, The Rhino, Castro's, Bier Markt, The Magpie, The Press Room, Mitzi's Sister, Feather's, The Rebel House, C'est What, The Bow & Arrow, The Victory, Ciro's, Local 4, The Granite, Sarah's, The Only, The Dominion, The Cloak & Dagger, The Local... etc.
Easy, tiger. I didn't say we don't have plenty of good places. It's just sad when a decent one cacks. Which, judging by the response of a few people on here, Rower's was. Granted, I never did go in when I lived in the neighbourhood, but there ya go.

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

Walked by what used to be Rowers a couple of days ago -- now apparently a licensed Mexican brothel -- and they had a draught list posted outside, which I wish more pubs would do. Some run-of-the-mill choices, but Hop Addict and St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout as well, neither of which was on offer before it became a casa of ill repute.

Nick

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I'm less alarmed with news like that. Two very solid beers there.

Also, I ran past the place the other day and some of the tacky plywood fencing placed on the upper deck is more that likely temporary. They stained the new fencing around the lower deck and it looks a lot less offensive. I'm going to revert back to my original summary of the decor style...Muskoka Beach party house seems to sum it up best.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Beermat wrote:Walked by what used to be Rowers a couple of days ago -- now apparently a licensed Mexican brothel -- and they had a draught list posted outside, which I wish more pubs would do. Some run-of-the-mill choices, but Hop Addict and St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout as well, neither of which was on offer before it became a casa of ill repute.

Nick
I thought the only addict to be found in a brothel was a crack addict?

Beermat

Post by Beermat »

Keep up, Bobsy -- times change. I had a quick look at the menu, and it seems to be more upmarket than Rowers was. They seem to be pitching at the Harbord Street restaurant market more than the student market. It's more the sort of brothel Eliot Spitzer would support.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Beermat wrote: They seem to be pitching at the Harbord Street restaurant market more than the student market. It's more the sort of brothel Eliot Spitzer would support.
Ha, that made me laugh :lol:

pilgermann

Post by pilgermann »

Hey folks,

You haven't seen me around here before, but I've nosed around, checking out the downtown Toronto recommendations off and on. I do appreciate the local craft brew hints.

Now that the Duke-friendly John Oakes has bought Rowers and re-opened it as Harbord House, you'd probably like to hear something from a regular who's carried on through a number of ownership changes. I was here when Windsor Castle burnt, if that helps with the dating... I've run local business on the street since 1989. You don't know how pleased I am with this new incarnation.

Food's up several notches, dust and dank/darkness are gone, it's warm and clean in the washrooms... all _so_ much more professional. Both locals and passers-by will appreciate its new incarnation as a neighbourhood pub, up a notch from its former lives as a student hang-out.

Here's the new tap lineup -- take note! -- Durham Hop Addict IPA, Nickelbrook Organic Lager, McAuslan's St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, Big Rock Grasshopper, Big Rock Traditional Ale, Wellington County Dark Ale, Steam Whistle Pilsner, Amsterdam Natural Light Lager, Clancy's Amber Ale, Creemore Springs Premium Lager, Moosehead Lager. Note the lack of Big Suds.

Okay, if that's not enough, they've got a cider: Waupoos Draft Cider (apples grown, cider made and delivered by Grant Howes of the County Cider Company)

There's a web site awaiting the menu and stuff to show up: http://www.harbordhouse.ca

Cheers - check it out!

Joe the Pilgermann
Jon Walker wrote:I don't know if anyone has posted this news yet.

It appears that Rowers Pub on Harbord is no longer. The place is undergoing a (and I use the term loosely) renovation at present. There's a new sign hanging from the front door claiming the place is now called Harbord House. The picture on the sign and the low rent wooden panels being placed over the front deck appear to be attempting some sort of summer cottage theme. Having not been inside I have no idea what decor to expect nor do I know the plans for the taps...but my fear is the new management are attempting to appeal to the UofT rowdy weekend crowd rather than the beer lover. No doubt the macro taps are being swapped in, I expect the removal of their cask tap and alcopop loaded fridges are likely being installed as I type.

I must admit I visited the place rarely but when I did I enjoyed the better than average beer selection and the comfy, laid back energy of the place. It felt a lot like a rural pub of old with an academia feel (the kind of place professors and grad students might hang out after lectures rather than freshmen) what with the rowing related decor and that large boat hanging from the ceiling. It could be argued that the place needed a refit but I for one liked it just fine the way it was.

IF I'm right about the changes inside then I have to say that it's really a shame to see yet another distinguished and historic establishment succumb to lowest common denominator business practises. The place was only recently the venue for a quality beer event and now, so quickly, it's morphed into a Muskoka frat house...too bad.

If anyone ventures in there when it reopens I'd be pleased to get an update to either confirm my fears or dispell them.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Thanks for the report. It's very reassuring. It's still not likely to be a regular haunt for me (as I have other options closer) but I'll stop in soon and check it out for myself.

Cheers!
JW

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Cool! I think I'll be checking it out in this coming weekend or the next. I used to live down the road in Kensington, so its nice to see another decent lineup of taps in the old hood.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Wow, from the review it sounds like Rowers "grew up" into the harbord house. Like a few other noted here, Rowers used to be the local for me while in University. I still fondly remember the giant barrel of peanuts upstairs and peanut shells everywhere.

It sounds like a good tap list (much, much better than any of my current "local" bars...), while I doubt that I will visit often, I do look forward to my first visit. If they supplement that tap list with a good bottle selection (hint, hint), I could end up going more frequently.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Wow....Just sitting here at the Harbord house. I'm very impressed. Much better than Rowers ever was!(it may be a little of a different place for a different time of my life). I'll write a more thorough review later.