Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

Post by Bobsy »

Hey folks.

I'm just finishing off my first Weihenstephaner (which is a mouthful in more ways than one). Anyway, its a top notch brew that y'all should try. Its a credit to Michael's brewing skills that I rate it below Denison's. Here's what I said about it on BA:

I'm very pleased to see this brought in at the liquor store as a seasonal. Murky gold body in need of a good polish, with a creamy and abundant white head. A classic, textbook hefe appearance that can't be faulted. Strong banana notes in the aroma, backed up by a healthy dose of wheat, but lacking the complexity of Denison's weisse. Great flavour, but again a slight step down from the Denison's, which is still the best hefe I've tried. As expected, the banana and grain of the aroma is followed through in bushels. Slight clove taste at the back of the palate, but not as much spice as I was expecting. Very slight citric bitterness. Nice, crisp refreshing mouthfeel, with moderate carbonation. High drinkability for this perfect summer beer. A top notch hefe!

austin

Post by austin »

This is a classic hefe weissbier with that clove, fruity taste and spicy finish.
It deserves the 95 ratebeer score. Wish it was on the general list. I'll still
take Denison's but I like this bottled version.

sphilp

Post by sphilp »

I dunno, I was underwhelmed by it. I was expecting more complexity, but it was just[sic] a typical weiss. I think its actually the lowest I've ever rated a weiss :(

edit: I bought 4 bottles, so I'm hoping it was just a bad one, but the BB date is 04/03/09....

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I had that same issue with Denison's at first. But then, I realized that the style itself isn't suppose to be all that complex. And from that perspective, I began to enjoy it more and more every sip I had. Weizen's and Wit's are still a little hard for me to stomach, after I had a bad experience that I won't get into, but I'm regaining my ability to enjoy them, and I'm hoping to finally pick up a couple bottles of Weihenstephaner tomorrow. My Weizen glass seems lonely :P.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

sphilp wrote:I dunno, I was underwhelmed by it. I was expecting more complexity, but it was just[sic] a typical weiss. I think its actually the lowest I've ever rated a weiss :(

edit: I bought 4 bottles, so I'm hoping it was just a bad one, but the BB date is 04/03/09....
I must admit that I was a little let down to, but only because I had such high expectations. The flavour seemed to have less facets to it than I wanted (and am used to with the Denison's). I don't think there is any doubting, though, that this is a perfect warm weather beer, and I can see myself buying a number of these this summer (unless black oak comes good with the summer saison). I erased my slight dissapointment with a bottle of paradox grain batch #7 that I got in a trade. If only whiskey barrel aged russian imperial stouts were available at the LCBO!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well I just got them to bring a case from the store room since ALL seasonals were not even on the shelves, LOL! (And on such a nice weekend - kind of a waste of potential Weissbier and Christoffel sales, don't you think?)

Anyway, I would not expect this Weisse to be the equal of any great Draught Weisse but I look forward to making these 20 bottles disappear over the next few months. I have gotten used to very acceptable bottled examples like the Edelweisse so this may be better still.

Great time of year for Denisons - a few times at Castros I remember it being unusually intense for ANY Weizen, and the greatest pints of this are simply stunning with almost tangy citrus elements that seem to structure an impressive mouth feel and finish. It's great stuff.
In Beerum Veritas

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

That's funny because I just had the SAME experience! The shelf tag was already there, yet there was nothing. So I had to ask for someone to go into the back, because it's obviously still in the boxes. I spent 20 minutes waiting around, as multiple employee's searched hopelessly, some believing it to be there, some refusing to accept it existed at all. Then FINALLY they come out with this white box and give me two.

I feel sort of like a high-maintenance jerk whenever this happens, but honestly, the store in Uptown Waterloo really has to get their s*** together when they get new stuff in. How could the shelf tag be there, yet the manager doesn't think the beer even exists?

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Just had one of these after 3 hours of lawn-cutting. (Had a couple of Sleeman's No. 20 Ale during - If you haven't, don't bother). And yes, this isn't Denison's, but it's good. Certainly better than Edelweiss from last summer. It is fairly citrussy up front, and there is a certain spiciness at the end that I can't quite put my finger on, but which distinguishes it from other weiss' I've tried. Dryer than some, as well. I'm looking forward to enjoying a few of these on the dock this summer.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I've had one Weihenstephaner so far and I do like it quite a bit. Going on memory it is perhaps the best weisse bottle I've had so far. I'll be picking up more for some summer sun cottage relaxing. 8)

I'm sucking down the Grolsch weisse right now and find it weak in comparison in both flavour and body. Of the three Grolsch I've tried (lager, blond and weisse), the weisse is at least drinkable.
lister

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseM wrote: I feel sort of like a high-maintenance jerk whenever this happens
No Jesse you seem like a very reasonable-maintenance guy. I can't imagine Store Employee #38742 now hates you and thinks badly of you.

About the beer Very nice solid blonde weizen color! Billowing head gives off yeasty banana and phenolic aromas. Taste darting hints of some tropical fruit, maybe guava? Slides back very lieblich and goes ex. well with the herb-poached arctic char. Even better with the brunch left-overs of same... hey you want to taste real Bavarian, try this in the AM with some fresh Weisswurst and hot from the oven Bretzeln. My Uncle considers Weizen a morning beer and this actually makes a little bit of sense....
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I agree with most that Weihenstephaner is a pretty decent hefe weissbier, and, yes, it is no Denison's. That said, if it come down to products available at the LCBO, I'll take a Schneider Weiss over the Weihenstephaner most days for the very lack of complexity others have already mentioned. I will still quite happily drink the 7 bottles I have left though, espcially in a few weeks when the real summer weather hits.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Belgian wrote:
JesseM wrote: I feel sort of like a high-maintenance jerk whenever this happens
No Jesse you seem like a very reasonable-maintenance guy. I can't imagine Store Employee #38742 now hates you and thinks badly of you.

About the beer Very nice solid blonde weizen color! Billowing head gives off yeasty banana and phenolic aromas. Taste darting hints of some tropical fruit, maybe guava? Slides back very lieblich and goes ex. well with the herb-poached arctic char. Even better with the brunch left-overs of same... hey you want to taste real Bavarian, try this in the AM with some fresh Weisswurst and hot from the oven Bretzeln. My Uncle considers Weizen a morning beer and this actually makes a little bit of sense....
Oh, but they do! #38742 is the worst! :P

Weizen really is a decent morning beer actually. Although I get really weird looks when I have a beer before 1pm, so generally these days I just refrain from doing so.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseM wrote: I get really weird looks when I have a beer before 1pm...
Don't trust those kinds of people. They are 'not quite right'. :D
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I sampled one mid-pour, while waiting for the head to settle, and thought it was great. Then I swirled the rest of the yeast into the glass... and there's definitely an unpleasant flavour there.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

While I can appreciate the feelings that some might have towards LCBO employees, and the seemingly endless level of incompetence that most us apparently have, please keep in mind that some of us ACTUALLY work hard, and work hard to bring the beer out ASAP. Like uhhh me for example.

You can bash and complain, as per usual, but most of you have no idea how a store operates. Please don't make assumptions.

As a rule, the sooner a product gets to the shelf, the sooner we can sell it, and that means a healthier bottom line for the store, and a happy manager.

I hope most of you realize that we have thousands of products in a store, meaning thousands of SKUS. Do you expect every employee to know every product? Fuck that.

I sympathize with the cause, as I am a fellow bartoweller and craft beer lover, and I have the same frustrations, but I am sick of the generalizing that goes on here, painting all LCBO employees as fucking useless monkeys. Smarten up.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!