Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier price point

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

whoops...$14.10 not $14.30

Only a 17% fee hike by the LCBO...not 19%...what a bargain!

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

bujubanton wrote:I don't see why I get flak for trying to suggest the state-run monopoly should respect its customers in a democratic country.
You didn't. You got flak for being a belligerent, antagonistic jerk.

-Josh

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

Geez...sounds a little aggressive at your end.

Can you point me to where I made any kind of similar comment about you or anyone else on this forum?

But go ahead...call me all sorts of names and claim I am the beligerent person...I'm not offended.
And make sure you have an extra 17% in your pocket to pay for ST IPA when it finally does go on sale.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

If there is booklet currently at the LCBO advertising the price at $12 the LCBO should be honouring that...of course I haven't seen this book cuz I haven't had much reason to go there lately, but I'd think they have some kind of fine print somewhere allowing them to change prices without notice blah. blah...was so close to driving to buffalo today and just buying my summer's supply of IPA.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

bujubanton wrote:Geez...sounds a little aggressive at your end.

Can you point me to where I made any kind of similar comment about you or anyone else on this forum?
actually, buju, you've taken some pretty nasty cheapshots at jon walker.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

tuqueboy wrote:
bujubanton wrote:Geez...sounds a little aggressive at your end.

actually, buju, you've taken some pretty nasty cheapshots at jon walker.
Yes, those were some of the comments to which I was referring.

-Josh

crawler

Post by crawler »

bujubanton's ghetto posts and classless attacks have pretty much entered my "non-reputable member, waste of time, don't bother to read" category.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

For the record, it is the agent and the supplier who ultimately determine the retail price so don't lay this off on the LCBO. We are always given the option of changing our retail when the product arrives as certain costs are not predictable (i.e. freight) and exchange rate which can change dramatically between the time we quote and when the product actually arrives which can be 9-12 months later. All LCBO prices are "subject to change without notice" so let's not fret about this. It happens all the time and some of you may have not noticed. There is no conspiracy here on the part of the LCBO, this is just normal business practice and R & R obviously decided they needed a higher price point in order to make some money. The price is $14.10..buy it or don't but stop flogging this dead horse...enough said!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

esprit wrote:For the record, it is the agent and the supplier who ultimately determine the retail price so don't lay this off on the LCBO. We are always given the option of changing our retail when the product arrives as certain costs are not predictable (i.e. freight) and exchange rate which can change dramatically between the time we quote and when the product actually arrives which can be 9-12 months later. All LCBO prices are "subject to change without notice" so let's not fret about this. It happens all the time and some of you may have not noticed. There is no conspiracy here on the part of the LCBO, this is just normal business practice and R & R obviously decided they needed a higher price point in order to make some money. The price is $14.10..buy it or don't but stop flogging this dead horse...enough said!
I agree, and always thought it was a non issue to begin with.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

I don't see why it's a non-issue Steelback...you're saying customers should just shut up and pay whatever we are ordered to pay and not complain?
I hope the distributor does do well and good for any distributors bringing in good product and dealing with the hassles...

But bottom line...the price we're getting is going to be 17% more than what is presently advertised in the LCBO booklet...
-the product is late...I am curious as to how quickly supply runs out (for example, Anchor Steam is sold out in most stores I've visited).
If you advertise products...can't get them on the shelves or keep them on the shelves...and than charge significantly more than you advertised..then these are legitimate things to point out. This would not fly for any distributor in the U.S. trying to build market share.

And if calling Jon Walker...andy brandt...is some huge shot...well my apologies.
Didn't know that was such a devastating insult...compared to being called a jerk, classless...etc. etc...which again, doesn't bug me, given the grade school level of the insult.

however...if anyone wants to respond to my posts in an intelligent fashion..other than just saying we should accept what we're told and be happy we get to spend a lot of money on whatever we're eventually allowed to purchase....I will be happy to read it.

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

bujubanton wrote:however...if anyone wants to respond to my posts in an intelligent fashion..other than just saying we should accept what we're told and be happy we get to spend a lot of money on whatever we're eventually allowed to purchase....I will be happy to read it.
The reality is that we are Canadian and if we go to a restaurant and order a steak and get chicken, we typically shut up and eat it. So what’s happening with the LCBO is no different, we unfortunately rarely fight for what we believe in and rather site up on our fence and accept what we are given. I know I’m generalizing and exaggerating but really what are we to do? I think we’ve done a good job in fighting to have American craft beer on our shelves, but if we don’t buy the product, we lose it and if we buy it up we accept price gouging and wear the words "sucker" on our foreheads. The oil companies seem to be playing this game really well these days.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

bujubanton wrote:I don't see why it's a non-issue Steelback...you're saying customers should just shut up and pay whatever we are ordered to pay and not complain?
That's not what I said at all.
I said it was a non-issue.

It might be an issue to others, and that's fine, but I don't really care.

Prices go up the first Monday of every month at the LCBO on lots of products. Sometimes by $.05, and sometimes by $.50. But one thing they do not do is increase something by $2.00 in one shot. In this case, the supplier has requested a price increase due to circumstances we do not know of.
But I don't care. I'll still pay the $14.10. It's only $.70 more than Hoegaarden or Sam Adams Summer Ale, and I will enjoy this a lot more.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Did the LCBO murder your parents or something bujubanton?

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I know I'm a newbie and all and I understand that this is a website related to ALL things beer, but I'd rather read about actual beer than peoples beefs with all the little things peripheral to their enjoying a good brew. And yes, I know, if I'm not interested, then I can just not read those posts.......but really, at this point this poor horses bones are being flogged into dust and the "beef" to beer ratio is getting a little high. Agree to disagree and move on.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

crawler wrote:bujubanton's ghetto posts and classless attacks have pretty much entered my "non-reputable member, waste of time, don't bother to read" category.
As the saying goes "don't keep doing the same thing & expect a different result."

Yet intelligent people still do, and they get baited into senseless arguments with others who are just trying to get their goat.
Last edited by Belgian on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas