Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Here we go!!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Has anyone had any luck in KW/Cambridge?

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Did anyone else ST bottles have LCBO tape across all the caps? All the bottles at my local store did.

What's that about?

-Josh

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

detritus wrote:Did anyone else ST bottles have LCBO tape across all the caps? All the bottles at my local store did.

What's that about?

-Josh
I dunno. I have noticed those strips on bottles they've put into the singles bin.
Last edited by Illuminatus on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

detritus wrote:Did anyone else ST bottles have LCBO tape across all the caps? All the bottles at my local store did.

What's that about?

-Josh
Mine were like that too. Could be because it's a new list item that is in an open-type 6-pack, so it allows people to take one and cashiers will know that it's not from a "closed" 6-pack??? Not entirely sure - Len?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Yup, mine are all like that. When I went into the LCBO at Yonge/7 they weren't on the shelf yet, and after telling a disbelieving stock boy that they did have some he returned a few minutes later with a couple of sixes. I took both, leaving them with only six more 6 packs. Chilling a few now and drinking a Weizen while waiting
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Went to my local in Hamilton and no ST.....but I did pick up a lone 6 pack of Rogue Dead Guy (only one left in the store?). Kind of wierd considering it doesn't come up on the LCBO web site.

One of the LCBO guys printed me up inventory info on ST (Quantity on hand, on hold and on order etc). To answer an earlier post, there weren't any stores listed in Cambridge as having ST, but the Franklin and Dundas location has 8 on order. They appear to mostly be in the GTA for now, with a few exceptions (Collingwood?). Nothing in Guelph, K-W, Hamilton.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Looking at the LCBO site, the only store with that got more than 2 cases was the Mississauga location at Dundas/Mavis
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Someone got a 6 of Rogue Dead Guy?

Anyhow, ya that Mississauga Dundas / Mavis stop had a bunch. I hit it on my way home from work today. Grabbed 2 6ers, thought about grabbing more...but hope they filter into Oakville soon.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

boney wrote:Went to my local in Hamilton and no ST.....but I did pick up a lone 6 pack of Rogue Dead Guy (only one left in the store?). Kind of wierd considering it doesn't come up on the LCBO web site.

One of the LCBO guys printed me up inventory info on ST (Quantity on hand, on hold and on order etc). To answer an earlier post, there weren't any stores listed in Cambridge as having ST, but the Franklin and Dundas location has 8 on order. They appear to mostly be in the GTA for now, with a few exceptions (Collingwood?). Nothing in Guelph, K-W, Hamilton.
So like, in all seriousness, was it the sheet of acid you hit, or did you actually pick up a sixer of Dead Guy!?!?!?!? Wtf? Can I have some? :P

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

No acid. Seriously picked up a 6 of Dead Guy. It was the only one on the shelves at the Dundurn LCBO in Hamilton at about 5:30pm and there was no shelf lable. $13.95 just like the American Craft Beer booklet says. Item #00080150. Surprized the hell out of me as I checked the website for both ST and Rogue in the morning and the Dead Guy isn't even on the books yet, so to speak. Like I said earlier......wierd.

I was going to ask one of the stock guys about it, but I've been tothe samelocation the last 3 days asking about ST and 3 different people were totally clueless that it was even coming into the store...."is Southern Tier a wine?" They were all very friendly and helpful though and checked the system for me.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

icemachine wrote:When I went into the LCBO at Yonge/7 they weren't on the shelf yet, and after telling a disbelieving stock boy that they did have some he returned a few minutes later with a couple of sixes. I took both, leaving them with only six more 6 packs.
Make that now 4 left. I took 2 as well after asking for them. They still hadn't put any on the shelf as of noon today when I went in.

Looks like the "strong beer" label on behalf of the LCBO was done at the brewery and matches the rest of the labeling. Nice touch.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Sometimes, actually a lot of the time (at least in my experiences), stores order just one of something for no apparent reason. This one time I went to my local because the site said they had a single bottle of Fuller's Vintage Ale, and when it was nowhere to be found, I asked about it, and the answer I got was less than helpful. "Sometimes we just order something in as a floater". What the hell is a floater?

Maybe some employee saw it in the back and thought it belonged out front on a shelf. Maybe Len can chime in on this for us.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Strip labels over bottle caps suggest that the product is produced with twist-offs. Canadian regulations require that all products be "tamper evident" that is to say, if it's a twist off it must have a seal or be in an enclosed pack, not an open 6-pack. Although R & R didn't mention it, I suggest that this might be another reason for the long delay in releasing the product. We never propose twist-off caps to the LCBO for this very reason and I'm guessing R & R learned a lesson....but I could be wrong...am I? Between this and the cost of adding proper bar codes on the cases, there's your explanation for a $2.10 price increase per 6 pack which is quite modest under the circumstances. (Case labelling would add $5.00 per case in charges and strip labels on the caps would add $7.50).

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

esprit wrote: (Case labelling would add $5.00 per case in charges and strip labels on the caps would add $7.50).
Wow, there's a good job, stick tape over caps at 31 cents a bottle! I bet they had to send the beer all the way to China to have the labels added that cheap! If they did it here, I wonder how much training that takes. Does the union demand a four day course on safe labling for it's members?

I sure can see why importers need reps like you to navigate the LCBO secret handbook! It just makes me appreciate the little victories we get even more.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

esprit wrote:(Case labelling would add $5.00 per case in charges and strip labels on the caps would add $7.50).
Dude.
Next time they need this done, let them know that I'll do it for $4/case and $6/caps. Volume discounts. 10% off if they pay in cash.