Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Stock Ale

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jaymack

Stock Ale

Post by jaymack »

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

i saw the subject and couldn't believe there would actually be a post on BT about molson stock ale, so i figured it had to be something else...

i still love the ol' stock ale. half the fun is seeing the puzzled looks on the faces of the beerstore staff when you ask for it. usually the person in the back comes out for confirmation and has to be told what dark corner they have it hiding in. the case always seems to come out with an inch of dust on top too...

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm glad he touched on Molson Porter and Labatts IPA. Those were staples in our house when I was growing up

Ironically, they ended up being my gateways not to Molson and Labatts products but to the Porters and IPAs they don't bother brewing!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

The beauty of Molson stock is that when you go to boring bars that only have Guiness, Kieths and Stella on tap, you can still get a bottle of stock ale to make the night almost salvagable (at least in the Hammer). Of course, your friends who think they know a lot about good beer raz you for dinking "crap beer" while they blissfully chug a "premium" beer.

I too loved the mention of old defunct brands. After I had my father-in-law try a Special Double Cream Stout from Bell's he said to me "it's good, but it's no Labatt Velvet Cream Stout". Haha.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Now, of course, nobody actually believes they have brewed a wort called 'Stock Ale' at Molson's in decades. Right?

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

jaymack wrote:Good article... is the beer?
It's not too shabby, actually. Mr. Clow turned me on to it when he described it as "the only [MolBatt product] I would personally recommend as being half-decent is Molson Stock Ale. It has an interesting spicey/malt flavour and more body than most Molson & Labatt products. Still not as good as most of our local mciros, but it's palatable at least."

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

skaghevn wrote:Mr. Clow turned me on
:o

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Bobsy wrote:
I believe thats what we call Beer Goggles
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bobsy wrote:
Uhhhh... I'm... flattered? :-?

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I have an unopened stubby of the Velvet Cream Porter around somewhere. Well aged, open to offers. :wink:

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I think I've mentioned this before, but the antique market in St. Jacob's has an unopened bottle of Labatt Velvet Stout available, should be well aged........stilll looks edible too, as in, nothing too disgusting can be seen floating around in it :P.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

If anyone is seriously interested in trying Labatt Porter, it's still available in Quebec.

Or, you could just drink some Pepsi, since it looks and tastes about the same...

crawler

Post by crawler »

Does the style of the current Mill Street "Stock Ale" compare to the old Molson Stock Ale product?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

crawler wrote:Does the style of the current Mill Street "Stock Ale" compare to the old Molson Stock Ale product?
They are pretty different. For one, the Mill St. Stock Ale is their weakest product while the Molson Stock Ale is probably their strongest. :wink:

DrJay

Post by DrJay »

GregClow wrote:If anyone is seriously interested in trying Labatt Porter, it's still available in Quebec.

Or, you could just drink some Pepsi, since it looks and tastes about the same...
That's exactly what I thought when I tried it a couple of years ago!

I still have a soft spot for Molson Stock Ale. I find that it's tastier than many of the "premium" brands and has the advantage of nostalgia - it was our staple beer during band practices for a while back in the day. And grub's right on the money about dusty cases, especially in Windsor.