Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Quick BS question....

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jan Primus

Quick BS question....

Post by Jan Primus »

If I buy beer at the LC that the BS carries (say a sixer of St Ambroise) does the BS get a cut?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I'm not sure about getting a cut, but I am pretty sure they may end up out of pocket for the deposit on that bottle. When I go they sort the bottles into a BS pile (love the acronym) and an LCBO pile, which I assume is for calculating how much of the deposit costs is born by which retailer.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Jan Primus wrote:If I buy beer at the LC that the BS carries (say a sixer of St Ambroise) does the BS get a cut?
They get the same retail markup that the LCBO would get for selling the beer. Unless I'm mistaken the prices are the same in the case of beers sold at both outlets.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Unless I'm mistaken the prices are the same in the case of beers sold at both outlets.
Are there 2-4 discounts on craft beer at the Beer Store like there are for some Mol_Bat products (i.e 24 will cost you less per bottle than 6)? This is something I wish the LCBO would offer when I am buying in large quantities.

Magni

Post by Magni »

I agree on that, i hate walking out of the LCBO with 100$+ in beer that should have cost a lot less.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

tupalev wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken the prices are the same in the case of beers sold at both outlets.
Are there 2-4 discounts on craft beer at the Beer Store like there are for some Mol_Bat products (i.e 24 will cost you less per bottle than 6)? This is something I wish the LCBO would offer when I am buying in large quantities.
Yes, I think Tankhouse is around $40 per 24, and the Unibroue stuff are a bit cheaper by the 24, even though you get 4 sixers.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Magni wrote:I agree on that, i hate walking out of the LCBO with 100$+ in beer that should have cost a lot less.
Yeah that would come in handy with the ST IPA.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Magni wrote:I agree on that, i hate walking out of the LCBO with 100$+ in beer that should have cost a lot less.
Yeah, even Premier Gourmet gives a 10% discount when you buy a case of something.

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

We punch every empty in on the screen depending on weather its lcbo or beer store. The prices for six packs and such have to be the same by law same with the sales. Yes some craft breweries (amsterdamn, steamwhistle, mill street etc.. have the same it gets cheaper the larger size you buy deal.)
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

As I understand it, the BS supplies the LCBO. I can't see them doing anything without a profit motive.

Dalton makes sure his son has a summer job. :-?

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

Tapsucker wrote:As I understand it, the BS supplies the LCBO. I can't see them doing anything without a profit motive.

Dalton makes sure his son has a summer job. :-?
They also supply us with all our imports so its half and half.
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Jon Walker wrote:
They get the same retail markup that the LCBO would get for selling the beer. Unless I'm mistaken the prices are the same in the case of beers sold at both outlets.
I actually meant "in the example" rather than in the case...I didn't mean to suggest the CASE prices are the same, just that the retail markup on products sold in both outlets is generally the same. If you are buying larger quantities of beer sold in both (Tankhouse for example) there can be a benefit to buying at TBS since they can offer a slight case price discount.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.