Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Southern Tier price point

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Let's not knock the people trying to bring us good beer.
But let's let them take subtle (or not so subtle) digs at a new agent learning the silly LCBO ropes?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

tupalev wrote:
Let's not knock the people trying to bring us good beer.
But let's let them take subtle (or not so subtle) digs at a new agent learning the silly LCBO ropes?
By pointing out the FACT that the sticky tape was their responsibility to correct people who keep on bitching about it being the LCBO's fault?

If you have a problem with him correcting people, than the issue is with the people who bugger up the facts in the first place.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I don't get some of you guys...I wasn't makings digs at anyone and I was certainly not implying that if I had brought in ST IPA things would have been different. I've spent thousands of dollars of my own money on LCBO corrective action...if you remember, I'm the guy that had to ship Cantillon Kriek to Quebec because Ontarians would have died from drinking it. More often than not, I've stuck to my original price and absorbed the cost of the error evern though it was not usually my error. Some of you guys are just looking for something to gripe about and, once again, as I often do, I regret posting on this site and trying to shed light on industry issues which many of you might not be aware of. I can't handle every brewery in the world and the fact that R & R is now doing some business doesn't threaten me in the least nor would I take jabs at them and I have never taken a jab at them. Read my e-mail again without any sort of prejudice and you'll hopefully see that I wasn't being a dick.

kormt

Post by kormt »

I don't know if this has now become the standard, or just a one off, but when I picked up a 6 today of ST IPA at the Spadina LCBO I didn't see one paper strip on any of the bottles in the 6-packs! Does this mean that they now have faith in the original packaging, and are making a little bit more profit off of this product? They didn't outlay the cost for the "safety measure", but I didn't see a corresponding drop in the price of the 6.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

kormt wrote:I don't know if this has now become the standard, or just a one off, but when I picked up a 6 today of ST IPA at the Spadina LCBO I didn't see one paper strip on any of the bottles in the 6-packs! Does this mean that they now have faith in the original packaging, and are making a little bit more profit off of this product? They didn't outlay the cost for the "safety measure", but I didn't see a corresponding drop in the price of the 6.
The latest shipment of ST IPA are packaged in bottles with pry-off caps - this is part of STs move away from twist-offs. Now that the package is tamper-evident, there is no need for the paper strip. I am not sure how this will be reflected in the price. Perhaps R&R can chime in?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bytowner wrote:
Belgian wrote: So you are telling us the reason we are "still" complaining is because if Esprit had imported this really good American IPA we would not be complaining?

Good answer.
Don't be an ass, he said nothing of the sort. Let's not knock the people trying to bring us good beer.
You are totally right BT, I was actually going to delete that post & unfortunately lost my web access. Peter was just being forthcoming and not really claiming he could have done better, I realize that, so my bad.

I would certainly encourage ALL importers to bring in more good American IPAs - and if they can do it for less than $14 a six, that's also great, but price is NOT a deal-breaker sticking point for many of us (it may be a "stickering point", but that gives us a common reason to make fun of all the bureauocracy... I don't see the latter ever changing & yes, Peter I believe people will 'keep going on about it" because of the bureauocratic silliness. Welcome to Ontario!)

There is a common 'enemy' here and we don't need to take the sitation so personally at all.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

velovampire wrote:Now that the package is tamper-evident, there is no need for the paper strip. I am not sure how this will be reflected in the price. Perhaps R&R can chime in?
About $1.80 to $2.10 per six-pack cost was added for the stickers, for those just tuning in, hence VV's interest in price adjustment. That would be great for everyone including the brewery who would have the chance to sell more product & help make American-style IPA a more widely-understood style in Ontario. I hope for the future of ST in our market the adjustment is possible.

Again, R & R I'm buying your beer regardless and I love you guys. There's nothing like ST IPA here at the moment & we appreciate the bumpy ride you have endured to get this deliciously hoppy golden ale into Ontario
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

..and I likely should have kept that comment to myself; I had a Homer moment where I said out loud a little conversation I was having in my head...

I think I'll just go and drink another St IPA...

burningrome

Post by burningrome »

I'm loving this IPA ...AND....as an added bonus...my 19 month old son loves to tear off the LCBO sticker and play with it!

for real!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

That's a great talent burningrome... one day your boy may make a million a year applying those stickers for $500.00 an hour, and then perhaps you will enjoy a VERY comfortable retirement! :wink:
In Beerum Veritas

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Cass wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:Well here's another one for you. I went to drop off some ST and Rogue empties at my local BS and got a big hassle about there being no deposit on them. Trying to convince them that they came from the LCBO went nowhere. I finally got a "you're guilty but we will take them this time" response from the manager.

Then as I'm walking out the door, I see another poor sod coming in with some ST bottles, so I stick around to watch the circus. This leads to us being accused of being in cahoots to rip the beer barons off!

What a bunch of jackasses. They clearly hiree and run the place at the kinds of high standards that the Ontario government can relate to. I guess that's why they have their monopoly.
What a joke. I was in cottage country last weekend bringing back some Sam Adams Summer Ale bottles and the guy at TBS took them aside saying "these are American, so they'll be recycled" in a tone like I was trying to pull a fast one on him and he caught me. It just wasn't worth the fight, so I let it go. I hate going to TBS and avoid it at all costs.
Yeah, I just got hassled too. TBS should really get their shit together, they are telling their employees not to accept bottles labled in "oz's". I got like 3 cases of ST empties, they say they can't give me a refund for...I show them the sticker and explain the whole story of the LC adding that and the price of the sixer going up $2...so he asks if I have a bottle cap with me to prove it, I tell him to go call the LC or look it up on the net. Then he says the same for Sam Adams summer ale, I tell him to call the LC again if he don't believe me. Really annoying.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Maybe show them an LCBO receipt, thats probably the only eway you'll get it through to them. Personally I have no problem at my local BS, but then again they're located right next to the LC
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

[quote="Jan Primus

Yeah, I just got hassled too. TBS should really get their shit together, they are telling their employees not to accept bottles labled in "oz's". I got like 3 cases of ST empties, they say they can't give me a refund for...I show them the sticker and explain the whole story of the LC adding that and the price of the sixer going up $2...so he asks if I have a bottle cap with me to prove it, I tell him to go call the LC or look it up on the net. Then he says the same for Sam Adams summer ale, I tell him to call the LC again if he don't believe me. Really annoying.[/quote]

My local LCBO suggessted saving and bringing in my receipt. I'll try that, but I'm not sure the state of literacy at the BS will be enough to negotiate the situation. Maybe we have to soak off some Coors lables and attach them to the bottles; 'look the label changed colour so it's time to go f*ck yourself'.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

All the bottles from my house go out on the curb. I'd imagine the little Chinese lady in our neighbourhood that usually collects them will have a fun time explaining where all my odd bottles come from, let alone the ST ones.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

Yesterday I took back 3 cases of Southern Tier bombers and a case of the Scotch Irish John Bye back to the Beer Store in Newmarket and the guy told me he doesn't get too many of the Scotch Irish stubbies there, did I get it at the lcbo? :o