Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dogfish Head 60

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

To set the record straight, the delays are DFH's fault, not the LCBO's. DFH does not have enought product to supply to the U.S. market which is part of the the problem. A recent large brewery expansion ran into the normal delays and our original projected shipping date had to be pushed back. The brochure was put together months ago therefore the projected July release date. The beer is now scheduled to arrive on Aug. 7 but it will take at least 3 weeks to start hitting stores. Not one to defend the LCBO but stop looking for conspiracies where they don't exist.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

boney wrote:. . . If we bitch and moan about EVERYTHING the LCBO does, real or imagined, it lessens the impact of voicing real greivances, our voices will be ignored and nothing will ever change.

Well said.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Let's not kid ourselves, your voices will be ignored regardless. Dalton thinks it ain't broke so there's nothing to fix...enough said. The fact is, the average Ontario consumer is happy...those of us in this community are not but we're not even on the radar. This is the status quo and it will not change in the near future...get used to it.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Thanks Peter, good to havethe update. I know this helps me in my drinking plans for the summer...more ST IPA to stock up on! The Dogfish I'll 'plan' to start enjoying aroudn Labour day long weekend...mmmm!

Imagine if the LCBO had a leaderboard liek a train station that posted arrival/instore dates for each product. I can just see all the lines flipping over to say 'delayed, delayed' delayed'....
:P

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

esprit wrote:Let's not kid ourselves, your voices will be ignored regardless. Dalton thinks it ain't broke so there's nothing to fix...enough said. The fact is, the average Ontario consumer is happy...those of us in this community are not but we're not even on the radar. This is the status quo and it will not change in the near future...get used to it.
While I normally share your cynicism, I think you're overdoing it this time. Where did the Star series come from? The Star is in it to sell papers, and if they put a story on the front page, it's "on the radar." They must have heard someone's voice. And while I agree that it's not going to "change in the near future," "getting used to it" will only ensure that it doesn't change in the distant future either. The last thing anyone should do is become content with the current system
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Let's say for argument's sake that the LCBO did a fantastic job. Stocked everything we could imagine, priced fairly and reasonably, had decent extended hours, chilled craft beer, supported Canadian producers at least as much as foreign - if not more, and took back their own empties. How many people would still complain about them just out of ideology? My only support for privatising them is because they fail to do these things. If they improved, I don't mind being a shareholding taxpayer!

There are always those, anti-government types I guess, drifting in their ideological fog looking for things to break rather than fix.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

If that were ever to come about, I wouldn't be opposed to it at all. But I have never seen in any control system a full freedom of choice like that, so I think it makes sense to privatize it. The Government can get all its revenue and establish its controls (e.g., opening hours) through a regulatory structure. Can the present system adapt toward a full (or much fuller) choice system? I don't think so. The present system isn't terrible, but it can be improved. E.g., if I bought Cisk lager and said to a private merchant, you know Simonds Farsons was an ale brewery originally and still make a top-fermented ale, Hop Leaf, and a Milk Stout, can you get those? He might well get them (or not, fine, so maybe I'd ask someone else). I never understood why all outlets have to sell product from a single approved list, why can't choice exist in the sense that some beers sold in one store are not available anywhere else in Ontario?

Gary

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

any updated ETA on the DFH?

I have noticed some stores are pretty slow to re-stock their ST, so it would be nice to have both beers on the shelves at the same time.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

No offence, but what part of "The beer is now scheduled to arrive on Aug. 7 but it will take at least 3 weeks to start hitting stores." in the post above did you not understand.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Wow, now is that how we treat redundant questions now?

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

In hindsight, my post comes across as quite pissy and it was not my intent. I assume people read the other posts on the page so when someone asks a question already answered I guess I get my shorts in a knot...no offence was intended and I should have chosen my words more wisely...me bad.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

esprit wrote:In hindsight, my post comes across as quite pissy and it was not my intent. I assume people read the other posts on the page so when someone asks a question already answered I guess I get my shorts in a knot...no offence was intended and I should have chosen my words more wisely...me bad.
Considering buju has participated in this thread with his usual level-headed insight, I don't think an apology is necessary esprit.
Last edited by Bytowner on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zithal

Post by Zithal »

I think a better worded question would be...

"Are we still on track for an Aug 7th delivery and projected three week turnaround?"

Def. looking forward to this too as the ST IPA supplies begin to dry up.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

esprit wrote:No offence, but what part of "The beer is now scheduled to arrive on Aug. 7 but it will take at least 3 weeks to start hitting stores." in the post above did you not understand.
Maybe you should be LESS clear and precise? Makes it less fun to pose redundant questions. :evil:
In Beerum Veritas

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

way to win over potential customers with answers like that...
given that delays are quite common when it comes to these products, my question was entirely fair.

here's another question.
when it arrives (wherever it is arriving..since that is not in the purported answer) today to the mystery spot...what is the beer going to do for the next three weeks before it starts hitting the shelves?

and what will be explanation if it is not in the stores as of Aug. 28th?

have a nice day!