Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Where do you keep your beer?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Where do you keep your beer?

Post by Jon Walker »

Thought it might be fun to share some pix of my beer cellar. It's a dank little room under my front porch which stays mostly cool throughout the year. I keep it dry with a dehumidifier and I'm lucky enough to also have a fridge down there to keep other stuff cold. My wife is very tolerant of the extra fridge considering David Suzuki apparently hates beer since he wants her and other Ontarians to do away with such things.

Curious to see your setup too.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

In the 1980's, I used to visit a beer specialty retailer in Paris and at this remove I can't recall the name of the place, it was on the right bank off the Rue de Rivoli (not far actually from the Picasso Museum). I went a few times over the years and then it was gone, I believe the owner passed away.

The beers were stored on shelves in a dim, cool basement, and viewing the photo above it brought that memory right back, right down to the grey walls.

I used to buy La Choulette there and other bieres de garde.

Gary

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Jon - 2 questions:
1) Where do you live?
2) When are you next away on vacation?

:lol:

I unfortunately have a shitty setup consisting of an apartment storage locker and a shoddy ikea cabinet. Luckily a house seems to be on the horizon, so this may lead to a better environment for storing beer. As it is, I've been trying to wind down what I already have in preparation, so there are no more than 30 bottles gathering dust as we speak.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Similar. Wide basement closet with cool bare cement floor to conduct away heat.

I cool the house 'passively' (open windows when it's cool outside / closed up when it's hot / roof attic space has thermostatic fan) and the basement generally remains cool & any seasonal fluctuations are slow and minimal.

I have excellent results aging wines and belgian beers. Life is good! :D
In Beerum Veritas

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

That top shelf looks like it's bowing a little in the middle. I can help you take some weight off of it . . . .

Similar basement setup myself, except it's under the breezeway, in the back half of the kids' "fort.". Only about 3 1/2 or 4 feet high in there, and poor lighting. It's uninsulated concrete block walls on 3 sides and concrete floor, below ground level, and also shares space with a (mostly) dry sump tank, which goes down another five feet below the house. So it's a little damp, but stays quite cool. Good for the homebrew, as well. Starting to get a little crowded, though. May have to kick the kids out of the fort soon.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Through the magic door in this unassuming furnace room, only the wine chiller I installed gives away what could be behind.

The show off shelves:
My collection of 2006 Chimay Grande Reserve Magnums

When I don't have enough shelf space my Abt 12 and Rochefort 10 stay in their boxes.

And the most pretentious of all:

sphilp

Post by sphilp »

I never keep beer long enough to store it. I don't have the patience or self control to not drink when its just sitting there.

Those pics are making me drool...

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Wow! What are your hours, and how much do I tip the waitress?
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

So far all I've got is a couple cases worth stuffed in my Mother-in-Law to be's basement. Hopefully my income and the housing price slide will close on each other at a fast enough rate that I can afford a beer cellar before those 2006/2007 vintages reach peak quaffing quality
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

its in my basement, except the 5 i drink that week..i could sure use some storage shelves though

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

Wow...envious. Mine has lessened in quantity as we prepared for the Ireland trip and what i removed wasn't replaced. It's half the size of the top picture, very dark, and cramped but it can fit a nice number of bottles and boxes. Additionally, it's consistently cool.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I love seeing so many of my beers in these photos. As for me, I usually store my beer in my stomach.

Magni

Post by Magni »

I just can't keep it away from my belly long enough.

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

City/condo dwellers may be interested in Fine Wine Reserve, a wine storage facility where I rent space. It's set up for wine, 'natch, but works quite well for beer, too.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Thanks for that link Steve! The facility location is perfect for us.

Our wine quantities have grown (as well as some long term beer items) and I've been contemplating a wine fridge for home but have space challenges for larger units.
lister