Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

WTF?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

WTF?

Post by Tapsucker »

I found a can of something called Georgian Bay Dipper from Midland Breworks. It looks like Hockley Valley is contract brewing it.

It tastes real cold; according to much of the labelling, that appears to be the intent.

Just thought I'd warn you guys. :)

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Have you been living under a rock?!?!?!?!? Georgian Bay Dipper is the biggest thing to hit the Ontario beer scene all summer!

Okay not really, at all, but there has been decent mention of it in other threads :P. I wish we could at least get like, a case, or something in KW, but seemingly there is no interest.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

My bad. I figured you guys would have something better to do than comment on something like that. Since my rock roofed abode was slow today I took up the cause.

Next time, I swear, I will always search the archives before I impulse buy at the LCBO. :oops:

BTW, even my local didn't have a whole case, but that might just because it's selling out so quick. I guess the Steelback shortage has people looking for alternatives.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Haha. I was just kidding around, sorry if I came off as condescending.

This beer certainly does seem to have been produced almost exclusively for small towns. Checking out the LCBO product listing, it seems to be in a few larger towns like Kingston and London, but generally names like, 'Arthur', 'Iroguois', 'Arnprior', 'Embrun', and 'Toronto' (where the f*** is that??!?), give one the impression of the market they were aiming at with this product.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

JesseM wrote:'Toronto' (where the f*** is that??!?)
You probably know it as Mississauga-Toronto or MT - kind of like KW but with better mayor fights.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseM wrote:Haha. I was just kidding around, sorry if I came off as condescending.

This beer certainly does seem to have been produced almost exclusively for small towns. Checking out the LCBO product listing, it seems to be in a few larger towns like Kingston and London, but generally names like, 'Arthur', 'Iroguois', 'Arnprior', 'Embrun', and 'Toronto' (where the f*** is that??!?), give one the impression of the market they were aiming at with this product.
Jessee,

A lot of those towns are north of you, near ottawa, and west of otawa towards smiths falls, getting closer to georgian bay, barrie etc.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Yeah I know, but London sure is south of me. I'm not all that upset about not getting the stuff here, it's more just the principle of the matter that concerns me. There's 3 stores in all of KW-Cambridge that actually seem to have someone in charge of beer that actually cares about seasonal releases or special imports. The other ones VERY slowly bring things in once it's painfully clear it might actually sell. I think it's representative of the attitude towards beer in KW, home of Laker Lager :evil: . I know this isn't the only region in the province with this problem, so please don't anyone take offense to my complaining :P.

I also don't feel like ordering an entire case of something like the Dipper which is most likely mediocre at best.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Not that strange really. We get this and Beau's, you guys have a couple southern brands that we don't get. Just a matter of breweries deciding not to overextend themselves.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bytowner wrote:Not that strange really. We get this and Beau's, you guys have a couple southern brands that we don't get. Just a matter of breweries deciding not to overextend themselves.
That's right!! :)

And I was more than happy to pick up some Beau's, Heritage Maple, Stuart's Organic while I was in Ottawa last week. We don't really get any of those in London, and like Bytowner said, there are a few brands that they don't get there.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Bytowner wrote:Not that strange really. We get this and Beau's, you guys have a couple southern brands that we don't get. Just a matter of breweries deciding not to overextend themselves.
Oh, that's right, I've got plenty of Brick Red Baron if you want to trade :evil: . I'm pretty sure that stuff is now actually cheaper than tap water :-? .

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Or, y'know, Neustadt.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

You want some Neustadt? I'll send you some Neustadt. It gets stored on warm shelves and goes bad extremely fast around here, but I'll send you some anyways.

Actually, if you genuinely can't get any Neustadt, would you be interested in a trade? Like maybe some Beau's for the whole Neustadt collection? It is possible to get Neustadt fresh around here, I just have to look hard for it.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Might be an idea. PM me a let me know if there's anything else available in your parts. Maybe I could make a trp across the bridge for you as well.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I know you shouldn't judge a beer by it's labeling or can. However, is it just me or it the Georgian Bay Dipper the most ugly can in existance? How much effort actually went into designing that monstrosity? If a craft brewer is proud of his/her product, shouldn't it show in all its facets? Just a thought.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

boney wrote:I know you shouldn't judge a beer by it's labeling or can. However, is it just me or it the Georgian Bay Dipper the most ugly can in existance? How much effort actually went into designing that monstrosity? If a craft brewer is proud of his/her product, shouldn't it show in all its facets? Just a thought.
Second that.