Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I think Belgian has said elsewhere that BDC actually ages quite well. With the bombers, do they need to be laid on their sides seeing as they're corked and all?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bytowner wrote:I think Belgian has said elsewhere that BDC actually ages quite well. With the bombers, do they need to be laid on their sides seeing as they're corked and all?

I've heard from people (mostly wine people) that any corked product should be laid on the side, as to keep the cork wet, but I have also heard from people that this is false, and actually accomplishes nothing.

I think Gary had spoken about this at one point, but I can't find the thread.

Anyone else know?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Bytowner wrote:I think Belgian has said elsewhere that BDC actually ages quite well. With the bombers, do they need to be laid on their sides seeing as they're corked and all?
Personally, I wouldn't age a wheat beer. I think it's actually best when it's fresh from a tap!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I've also got a couple bottles of Trois Pistoles that are now exactly a year old. I'm wondering how those will be in another little while. To be honest, TP didn't blow me away like I hoped it would the first time I had it. Maudite will always be my favourite, it was my 'break-through' Belgian strong ale :P.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Had a couple of samplers tonight at Volo.

Barley Days Summer Light Ale was superb, it had a clean, mineral-clove- like taste, a lovely beer that struck me as being in the kolsch style. Don't miss it.

Wellington County's Imperial Stout was fresh and tasty, almost room temperature too (fine by me), but I don't get an Impy taste from it. It is more like a strongish English medium stout.

Durham's Hop Addict was rich, clean and full of West Coast hop, like an 1980's California pale ale bought up to a higher amperage.

Nickelbrook's (unflavoured) while ale was an exemplary beer in the Belgian white tradition. Beautifully rounded with a faint taste of appley ester even though no apples were used. A session beer par excellence. The other day I had a Hoegaarden and Nickelbrook's effort easily outpaced it in my opinion.

Only Neustadt's porter seemed behind the pack to me, a little feisty and, well, untogether (although in good condition as were all the beers).

(I had the Barley Days twice).

These are very fine beers that 10 years ago (even 5) were not available or not in the faultless condition I found tonight. Ontario makes the best anywhere now you can get.

Gary

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

Starbucks Dark Roast.

I had plenty of brew earlier at the festival but now it is time for some coffee!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

toweringpine wrote:Starbucks Dark Roast.

I had plenty of brew earlier at the festival but now it is time for some coffee!
Coffee here too... a beer geek breakfast!

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Peche Mortel at Volo tonight...been wanting to try this for years and it did not dissapoint!

Hey Gary, were you sitting on the patio tonight? Seen a guy having samplers was wonderin if it was a fellow bartoweller.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Yes it was me. Saw you order that, I might try it next time. Would have said hi, didn't know you were a beer fan too. The weather was perfect to be on the patio, crisp, bright and warm.

Gary

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

How much are the samplers at volo these days? Sounds like a good way to introduce friends to new styles. Finishing the night off with a horn dog barleywine and some joy divison. I have 2 exams tomorrow - what a crap way to spend a saturday.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

A sampler is 3 glasses of 5 ounces each, for $5.00. Well worth it to try a variety. I never used to do it but I decided where a pub permits it to do this more often because sometimes I don't like something new (or old) that I am trying. With the sampler you reduce the risk. After the first sampler I should have had a full pint of the Barley Days but I decided to try further beers. Might go back later today, I was impressed by the Barley Days not just for its body and balance but its good taste.

Gary

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

I'll keep an eye out for you next time I'm there O.F.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Inlaws showed up last night. But, with a few bottles I apparently left at their place last Xmas. So I guess that's a fair trade-off. :wink:

Aventinus eisbock, John By stout, St. Ambroise Vintage 2007 and....... Elora Irish ale. The first 3 were excellent after ~8 months hibernation in their basement fridge. The Elora is available for trade!

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

I don't think I mentioned this earlier but recently at some relations in Providence, RI they presented me with a bottle of Tsarina Katarina that I brought there from the first batch (2 or 3 years ago now, it was the 2005). It had been kept cold since then. The beer was in perfect condition and tasted almost exactly like it did on release! It had perhaps a hair more "leather" taste but put next to the beer when first released no one would have noticed.

This surprised me because after a year or two in the bottle I find most beers do change in character, not always for the better. Sometimes the beer gets a sickly sweet, "cooked" taste I find hard to describe but know well from years of tasting.

Porters and stouts do though have a capacity to age very well, this was remarked by Michael Combrune in his mid-1700's brewing text A Treatise on Brewing.

I left one bottle there and will try it in two years from now.

By comparison, an American micro pale ale, I think it was Harpoon, stored at the same time, while drinkable, just wasn't what it was when purchased.

Gary

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Due to the crappy, rainy, cold, fall-like day outside, I decided to get a little more "toasty" than the wheat, PA, IPA brews I've been drinking for most of the summer.

Tonight I put down.....
-Neustadt Big Dog Porter
-Bells Kalamazoo Stout
-Brakspear Double Drop Bitter (this took a while to come my way)

Still raining outside, but at least I'm dry and satisfied.