Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Drink Tickets at events

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

davefungi

Drink Tickets at events

Post by davefungi »

Victory Cask Event - I think drink tickets were $2 (perhaps $2.50) and covered half a pint of cask. $6.50 covered a pint and substantial food.

Golden Taps at Beerbistro - drink tickets were $2 and covered half a wine glass (2oz? I asked how big was a "sample" - the staff didn't know). My estimate for a comparative "pint and substantial food" is near $30.

For me, Victory was good value (spent all afternoon there), GTatB was not (went to C'est What to have a pint or three).

I'd be interested to know other views, facts on drink ticket pricing.
Cheers.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Yeah, the samples seemed a little on the small side for $2 (3, 4 oz?), but that was nothing compared to the sticker shock for what BB is asking for their featured DFH bottles (couple of the 750 ml bottles were in the $50 range). I had suggested to my girlfriend that we finish with something special (i.e. a bottle of one of the DFH brews), but when we saw the price list I just about choked. I find the bottled beer at BB very expensive, so I almost always stick to their draft offerings.

All in all I thought the GT awards was good value for money. Tried 12+ new beers, had a couple snacks and quite enjoyed myself. The token pricing was nothing compared to Mondial IMO.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Gedge wrote: The token pricing was nothing compared to Mondial IMO.
Well, tokens are cheaper at Mondial, but beers cost more of them. Its a tough call, some were a steal but $3 for a sample of a Quebec micro that you can get a bottle of around the corner for less than that is a bit steep.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

JerCraigs wrote:
Gedge wrote: The token pricing was nothing compared to Mondial IMO.
Well, tokens are cheaper at Mondial, but beers cost more of them. Its a tough call, some were a steal but $3 for a sample of a Quebec micro that you can get a bottle of around the corner for less than that is a bit steep.
I'm thinking of some of the US beers that were 5, 6 tokens per sample. I'd certainly go to Mondial again.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Just my opinion, but if I'm spending the night sampling (which I did at the GTAs Saturay night and thoroughly enjoyed) I don't want more than 3 oz / serving. I sampled 10 beers, 9 I've never had before, and for $20 was quite content.

That's my 2 cents :D

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

The value for token is a bit low in my opinion at the GTAs. Made even worse was the fact that you couldnt buy a full pint all night! (not even after the event was over).

The value is pretty good for the food though. Had way too many pulled pork sliders.... :)

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Another observation is that events like the Mondial and GTAs with free admission sometimes tend to have a higher cost per sample, whereas the TFOB had lower cost per sample, but you had to pay upwards of $25 to get in.

Which one works better for patrons depends how much they drink I suppose.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

JerCraigs wrote:Another observation is that events like the Mondial and GTAs with free admission sometimes tend to have a higher cost per sample, whereas the TFOB had lower cost per sample, but you had to pay upwards of $25 to get in.

Yeah, I want to try 90% of the beers at events like GTA, Mondial - TFOB is the reverse.

Volo's Cask Days is a good example of an event with an admission charge AND good value for money.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JerCraigs wrote:Another observation is that events like the Mondial and GTAs with free admission sometimes tend to have a higher cost per sample, whereas the TFOB had lower cost per sample, but you had to pay upwards of $25 to get in.

Also what style of the event is as well. I much prefer Mondial's come and go as you please than TFOB's trapped in until you leave and you can't come back.
lister

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

lister wrote:
Also what style of the event is as well. I much prefer Mondial's come and go as you please than TFOB's trapped in until you leave and you can't come back.
I think that comes down to the difference in cultural nature of the provinces. I swear half the populace of Ontario is still locked in the morarlity of the 50's
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

icemachine wrote:
lister wrote: I swear half the populace of Ontario is still locked in the morarlity of the 50's
What you talking about? Don't be so L-7 daddy-o!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

The real distinction in any of these festivals, beer, wine, food or otherwise, is whether they are marketing opportunities for the brewers or revenue generation for the organisers.
If it's a chance for brewers to introduce themselves, new products or just reward their customers, prices will be fair.
If the organisers, like the TBS at the TFOB just see a chance to run a profit making event, the pricing is unlikely to be anything special. In this case they better be adding some real value, or I'd rather go have some nice beer at Volo and not deal with a bunch of drunken frat boys.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Like some of their other events, I doubt BierBistro made any profit. They probably actually lost revenue.

As a beer event, it may not be the best value. But when you look at their quality of food & compare it to something like Jamie Kennedy's Wine bar, it certainly isn't unreasonable.

If you don't think it's worth it, just don't go. I'm sure plenty of other people still will.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Tapsucker wrote:[...] If the organisers, like the TBS at the TFOB [...]
For the record, the Beer Store were never organisers of the Fort York Festival, they were just the primary sponsors for a number of years.

And they had absolutely no involvement this year, reportedly because they were not happy with the number of booths offering beer that isn't available at the Beer Store.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

GregClow wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:[...] If the organisers, like the TBS at the TFOB [...]
For the record, the Beer Store were never organisers of the Fort York Festival, they were just the primary sponsors for a number of years.

And they had absolutely no involvement this year, reportedly because they were not happy with the number of booths offering beer that isn't available at the Beer Store.
I stand corrected. So who did drive the event?