Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo Cask Days - Oct 17-19

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Bobsy wrote:Last year's line winding down the street was insane. For you lucky folks who are planning on getting tickets, go earlier than you think you'll need to.
I said this last year that how tickets are being sold will lead to an never ending arms race of people getting there earlier and earlier to secure tickets. Last year it was hours, what'll it be this year? A day?

Even then I'm not sure I would want to go this year as last year there were WAY too many people there to the point of things being really uncomfortable and tight.

It's a great event and I'm glad Ralph and the brewers do it (especially for the different one-offs!) but I think the event has grown bigger than little Volo.
lister

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

I think the Oct 18-20 dates listed on the website are incorrect. According the buzz I've heard, Ralph is planning to have sessions on Fri-Sun this year, which would make the dates Oct 17-19.
That is correct. There will be a Friday session, the regular Saturday and Sunday sessions and Monday night to polish all the casks off. Those appear to be the plans for now, as of last week.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Biergotter may be there but don't expect it.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

lister wrote:Even then I'm not sure I would want to go this year as last year there were WAY too many people there to the point of things being really uncomfortable and tight.
Uhm, I actually found last year's fest to be spacious in comparison with years past. Grabbing a table still seemed like an impossiblity, but overall it was a nicer experience.

Anyone know if the Péché Mortel will be a charity cask again?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

skaghevn wrote:Anyone know if the Péché Mortel will be a charity cask again?
Very much doubt it as it is technically illegal, according to the Board.

There should be more room this year as, I've heard, there will only be 100 tickets available per session. Plus there will be no tables and chairs on the patio, just the benches around the perimeter of the patio.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Hopefully the brewers give us something interesting this year.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

viggo wrote:Hopefully the brewers give us something interesting this year.
+1 :evil:

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

Torontoblue wrote:
skaghevn wrote:Anyone know if the Péché Mortel will be a charity cask again?
Very much doubt it as it is technically illegal, according to the Board.
I was under the impression that Volo’s got their fingers slapped last year because of all the one offs that had not gone through the LCBO labs. Technically these were not aloud to be sold. I was actually told that there were not going be any one offs anymore because of it, but it looks as though there will be. Hopefully everything got settled.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Crap. I'm going to be away the last week of September. I actually HAD tickets last year and had to sell them off. Looks like I'll never get to this...

:(

Lord God King Bu Fu

Post by Lord God King Bu Fu »

Following the rapped knuckles comment - it looks like Ralph isn't listing independent participants on the website in order to avoid trouble. Either that, or George Eagleson is a big liar and isn't actually submitting a beer. I will give him such a big pinch!

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Too many rats around to have one-offs.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Are one-offs that are sold at pubs/festivals really supposed to go through lab testing?

I don't even understand how that would work.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Uhm, so maybe if theres an issue/obstacle people should stop posting stuff in a public forum about it??? Just a thought.

Regardless, should be an awesome event as always.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I like the comment about giving some elbow room to newbies.
If they've "meticulously" written down contact info in the past, I think they should offer tickets to newbies first...and if anything is left, let past participants return.
:D
Seriously though, when I saw 'how' to get tickets last year I was turned off...just not feasible for us out of towners to participate easily.

denguy

Post by denguy »

jaymack wrote:I've never been mostly because I can never get tickets fast enough. How's about a little elbow room for the newbies that never get a shot at tckets?
Come on kids, I was 25 minutes early for tickets last year and was 15th in line. I got all the tickets I needed and got to sample a few pints right afterwards.
Two guys ended up bailing on me and I posted the extra tickets for sale on this site with NO takers.
Suck it up.