Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Assessment of the UK pub business by Roger Protz

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Uncle Bobby

Assessment of the UK pub business by Roger Protz

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Is it all doom and gloom? Recent statistics suggest that as many as 36 pubs a week are closing throughout the UK. In this article from the Independent newspaper in the UK, Roger Protz offers an assessment of the pub industry and the beer drinking habits that sustain it. At the bottom is a list of what he considers to be the 25 best pubs in the UK.

This article is one of the promototional initiatives on the launch of CAMRA's Good Beer Guide 2009.
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Great Article. Just reading it reminds me of the all the great pubs I visited while I was in the U.K. working on my grad degree.
Woe is the Canadian who loves Cask Conditioned Ale. I really wish more brewers and pubs on this side of the Atlantic would brew and carry it.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I like the fact that this proves the good business sense in the following:

1. Offer good beer or great beer
2. Offer decent local food
3. Kill the music and the stupid TVs (I think there's room for live music in some venues, but just to have canned music drown out conversation sucks).

I wonder why this is such a challenge to bar owners over here? I know for certain, there are many, many patrons who would spend more at their local pub if it wasn't an irritating sports bar serving piss. I suspect too many bar owners are afraid that if they don't follow what others do they will be left behind, so they run the same dumps as they see next door. Me-too, is the saddest business strategy out there.