Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Financial Mess = bad times for Beer Industry?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

woodpecker

Financial Mess = bad times for Beer Industry?

Post by woodpecker »

a sign of things to come?
------------------------------

SAINT JOHN– New Brunswick-based Moosehead Breweries is temporarily laying off about 50 employees until early November.

The company plans to rotate the layoffs based on production needs at its Saint John plant.

Company spokesman Joel Levesque says a number of factors caused the layoffs including poor summer weather, and a weakening economy in the United States, where nearly 50 per cent of the breweries output is shipped.

Full production is expected to resume between November and Christmas, but employment levels will be re-evaluated in 2009.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

I have heard that the MillerCoors distribution merger in the US may have as much to do with the Moosehead slowdown as general economic slowdown.

There is a maxum in the brewing industry that during good times breweries do well but during bad times breweries do better but this obviously didnt hold during the depression which was linked to prohibition.

I am hoping that regional distribution and focusing on local concerns will allow the small brewers to thrive in uncertain times.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Rob Creighton wrote:
I am hoping that regional distribution and focusing on local concerns will allow the small brewers to thrive in uncertain times.
I was thinking the same.

I think it would be a great 'movement' to be locally self-reliant as possible in as many areas of Ontario industry as possible.
Last edited by Belgian on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

woodpecker

Post by woodpecker »

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... -beer.aspx

When in doubt, buy beer

As one bright Internet mind has discovered, these tough economic times are making it look smart to be sloshed.
The numbers aren't exactly comparable in Canada, but it's still true that you would have made better returns buying $1,000 worth of beer a year ago than $1,000 of stock in Freddie Mac, Neomagic, Fannie Mae -- or, frankly, many of the companies that have imploded in the credit crunch.

How so? In B.C., a 15-pack of that old bush party standby Labatt Wildcat Strong will run you $20.79, and net you $1.50 in deposits returns -- so spend $1,000, get $72.15 back. Had you bought $1,000 in Freddie Mac, by comparison, you'd be looking at $18.60 today. Which is probably a much worse hangover than even Wildcat could leave you with.