Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Blueberry wheat

Post your own tasty recipes or homebrewing advice here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

scooter

Blueberry wheat

Post by scooter »

Hi all
I had 3 gallons of frozen blueberries given to me and I would like to make a blueberry wheat beer. I’m looking for any 5 gal all grain recipe ideas? Also is it better to add the berries in the primary or secondary fermentation? And will I have to do anything to, add anything to the berries to get rid of any wild yeast?
Thanks,
Scooter

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I have not done a fruit but most versions I have read involve putting it in the secondary. My understanding is that putting it in the primary will lose some of the fruit character due to all the activity of fermenting. If they are frozen I don't think you need to worry too much about wild stuff, but I am not sure.

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

scooter wrote:Hi all
I had 3 gallons of frozen blueberries given to me and I would like to make a blueberry wheat beer. I’m looking for any 5 gal all grain recipe ideas? Also is it better to add the berries in the primary or secondary fermentation? And will I have to do anything to, add anything to the berries to get rid of any wild yeast?
Thanks,
Scooter
Put them in the secondary. Heat the berries to 80 degrees and then cool them down. Make sure all the berries are crushed - you want what is inside. Transfer the fermented beer on top of the berries and then let it sit in the fridge. Have fun.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Why in the fridge?

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

JerCraigs wrote:Why in the fridge?
Fermentation is done, you're transferring off of the yeast which is a good thing. Let the berries infuse with the finished beer while the yeast settles in a cold, quiet, dark environment. Much less chance of funky things happening at room temperature. If you're looking for a big alcohol boost from the fruit then you're into a different game.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Would you need to repitch yeast prior to bottling then to get it carbonated or would there be enough left to get it going again?

scooter

Post by scooter »

Thanks for the responses.
I force carbonate in kegs so bottling is not an issue. I’m assuming the sugars in the berries will ferment and I’m looking for a light blueberry taste not high alcohol beer. So for a 5 gal batch of beer how much of the blueberries should I use?

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

scooter wrote: . . . So for a 5 gal batch of beer how much of the blueberries should I use?
Sam Calagione says to add 10 pounds at the end of your boil. Seems like a lot, but who am I to question the Master?
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman