Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseMcG

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout

Post by JesseMcG »

I tried this beer (and this style) for the first time tonight... I'm not expert enough to get into a flavour profile here... but this was chocolatey and fruity and AWESOME.

I'm going to have to pick up one of the Samuel Smith gift packs for sure!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I have to agree 100% with this. I am yet to have a Sam Smith beer that disappoints, and I loved the imperial stout (though not as much as the taddy porter). Here's my review from BA:

"Practically midnight black pour with a beast of a tan head that settled to a finger of cap, and forgot to lace. Chocolate and coffee aromas are divine, and carefully balanced, pulling back from the all out aroma assault of some imperial stouts. Full on milk chocolate in the flavour swiftly followed up by a coffee with extra cream, along with some vanilla and dark fruit. This is really helped by the full creamy body, which accentuates the smoothness of the chocolate and coffee flavours.

This has vaulted into my favourite imperial stouts, in part because there seems to be a lot that isn't imperial about it. The ABV is far more restrained and makes it easy to drink at the pace of a regular beer, while the alcohol heat is also lacking. The flavours are also in a delightfully harmony, and its far less aggressive and boozy than other examples. I'd almost consider this a regular stout, but the label says otherwise."

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

I think its quite a nice brew. Its much different from other Imperial Stouts that Ive had. Its quite fruity but this adds a layer of complexity that is not always found in Imperial Stouts. I still think that John By is the best option for Imperial Stouts at the LCBO but Im a bit worried about this years release not being up to par with last years. Also the Brooklyn Black Chocolate is amazing and I cant wait until that hits the LCBO shelves. Back on topic, the Sam Smith's is very nice and in many cases I would actually prefer it over some of the crazy American stuff. Im going to get more right now.......

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I really like this one as well. It is totally different than the American versions that are overly hopped & lacking that fruitiness (though I like those too).

If you're ever in Victoria, Spinnakers does a really nice old-world version as well.

Though the Samuel Smith brews do seem to bottle & travel well. Perhaps its the great importer. :wink:

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I appreciate the agressive American stouts, and the more reserved English variants.

But I found the Sam Smith Imperial Stout to be boring. It just doesn't do it for me. Now the Ceylon Lion Stout... thats a damn fine beer!

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Love you Derek...or was that sarcasm...hmmmm? Actually, we had originally proposed the Imperial Stout as a General List item and in a move rarely seen, the LCBO suggested we offer a more mainstream product from Smith and thus the Nut Brown that is on the General List. We're glad to see it on the shelves as a seasonal and we'd love to see more of the Taddy Porter and Oatmeal Stout out there as well. Both Organic offerrings from Smith were rejected this week as General List items so we're not happy with that...but what can you do? You can love or hate Smith but they make consistently good beers and have revived certainl styles which had all but disappeared from the UK like Oatmeal Stout. One of my personal favourites is Taddy Porter but it never does well here.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

esprit wrote:Love you Derek...or was that sarcasm...hmmmm? Actually, we had originally proposed the Imperial Stout as a General List item and in a move rarely seen, the LCBO suggested we offer a more mainstream product from Smith and thus the Nut Brown that is on the General List. We're glad to see it on the shelves as a seasonal and we'd love to see more of the Taddy Porter and Oatmeal Stout out there as well. Both Organic offerrings from Smith were rejected this week as General List items so we're not happy with that...but what can you do? You can love or hate Smith but they make consistently good beers and have revived certainl styles which had all but disappeared from the UK like Oatmeal Stout. One of my personal favourites is Taddy Porter but it never does well here.
Thanks for another insight into the LCBO selection process. It would have been nice to have the Imperial as the general list item, but the nut brown is a very worthy replacement. Its too bad the Taddy Porter does not do well in Ontario because I think its even better than the Imperial Stout. I picked a bottle up when I was in Halifax NS and it was a revelation. Without doubt the best porter I've had.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

esprit wrote:Love you Derek...or was that sarcasm...hmmmm?
I figured you'd read this thread. :D

I'm sure the fact that the SS brews have already been through the LCBO testing helps, but they really do arrive fresh & full of flavour.

It's too bad the porter isn't available. I picked one up from the states once, and it had a hint of sourness to it. I'm not sure if that was intentional, or due to the time on the shelf?

I'm really sad to see the Wellington IS gone as well. They're not even bottling it for brewery sales, and I don't have the equipment (or the liver?) to purchase a keg. It would be nice to see at least ONE imperial stout readily available. Maybe Grand River will blow us away with a big IS... though I'm sure they'd do a really great sessionable brew as well.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

SS's Impy is the top of the heap IMHO... for it's approachable smooth drinkability yet retention of full Imp flavour and potency...top notch offering...wish it was standard shelf stock at the
'BO 8)
Aventinus rules!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

pootz wrote:SS's Impy is the top of the heap IMHO
Seriously Pootz? Better than Ceylon Lion Stout?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

markaberrant wrote:
Technically it's a foreign/export stout. But yeah, it's a hell of a stout.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:Technically it's a foreign/export stout. But yeah, it's a hell of a stout.
Yeah, but it's a hell of a lot more "imperial" than Sam Smith's.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

markaberrant wrote:
Apples and oranges..... the Ceylon stout is a sweet tropical stout much like the west Indies cane stouts. Historically Russian Imperial stout was a strong London stout made by appointment to the Romanov court until Napoleon's sea embargo cut this great London ale export. Then Baltic Porter was invented as a substitute to quench Royal thirsts during the dry spell.

The tropical styled stouts are great in their own way but SS's Imp is a full bodied "Thrale's-styled" Tadcaster imp stout. Maybe it's the Yorkshire square process, but I find this to be the best of the authentic traditional British Imp stouts brewed today.

I Like the SS Oatmeal stout as well and the Taddy Porter...top flight traditional brewer.
Last edited by pootz on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

On a rather dull and forgettable November Sunday - this beer is a highlight! A great balance of dark fruit, roasted coffee maltiness and a creamy mouthfeel.

Many thanks for putting me onto this one!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I'll have to give this one another try sometime soon. I had a 4-pack while in Florida last X-Mas for a swim team training camp, and thought it was a tasty brew, but somewhat bland at the same time. But I thought the same of the Nut Brown from SS when I first had it, but the bottle in my gift pack was delicious and nothing short of awesome. My respect for this brewery has just sky-rocketed after that gift pack. I can't wait to try the Winter Welcome ale when it arrives (I passed on it last year).