Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Texas Tea?

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

denguy

Texas Tea?

Post by denguy »

I have to go to Texas on the 13th. Does anyone know if it's possible to find good beer there or will I not be drinking Bud the whole time?

rudolf

Post by rudolf »

Texas has both religion and good beer. Depends on where you're going (and what your thoughts are on RevCo) -- where will you be?

-rudy

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Both Beer Advocate and Rate Beer have very good place listings, which I've found to be perfect for all my holiday plans so far. You should definitely check them out... here's what they have on Texas:

http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/directory/0/US/TX

http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/States/43.htm

denguy

Post by denguy »

rudolf wrote:Texas has both religion and good beer. Depends on where you're going (and what your thoughts are on RevCo) -- where will you be?

-rudy
San Antonio.

flip

Post by flip »

Most Texas grocery stores carry a pretty good selection of beer, at least in large urban centers. For example, when I lived in Houston for four months I found it easier to get Unibroue beers in Texas than in Ontario.

As for specific breweries, it depends where you are. I know that Houston has St. Arnold's Brewery. I've never been there, but their stuff is better than Bud.

If your around San Antonio/Austin, it'd be worth your time to check out Real Ale Brewing Company in Blanco. Their name is unfortunate: I'm not sure that they actually brew real ales. However, they do make some tasty brews. I'd recommend their Fireman's #4 Blond Ale (best on draught), Full Moon Pale Rye Ale, Brewhouse Brown Ale and any seasonal you can get your hands on. Also, Fredricksburg Brewing Company makes some great beer. Fredricksburg is supposed to be a nice little town to have a walk around in, too.

[Edit: URL]
Last edited by flip on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Hank says good things about Alamo, but you have to drink in the alley.

denguy

Post by denguy »

Derek wrote:I've read that the flying saucer is a heck of a place:
http://www.beerknurd.com/stores/sanantonio
Holy Man! Check out the beer menu there:

http://www.beerknurd.com/store.sub.php? ... 0&sub=beer

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

I've been pretty lucky to have visited Austin, Fredericksburg, and now Houston all in the last six months! I'm about to head out to the Flying Saucer here in Houston for lunch.

I have enjoyed all of the Texas beers I've tried. In the past two days, I've liked the Southern Star Pine Belt Pale Ale (Southern Star is in Conroe, TX) and the Karbach Hopadillo IPA (Karbach is here in Houston).

Among Austin breweries, Live Oak and 512 Brewing Co. are good.

And the Fredericksburg Brewing Co. is a nice visit, although I haven't seen their beers anywhere else down here yet.

Will try to report on The Flying Saucer later on. They have locations across Texas, but also in Arkansas, Missouri, Tennesee, North Carolina, and South Carolina, too.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Live Oak has the number 1 rated hefeweizen on BA...

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Just pulled into Pueblo, CO for the night after a week in Texas (Dallas and Austin). Tried quite a few texas beers, hit up many pubs and stores. Best Texas brewery hands down is Jester King, a farmhouse saison brewery outside of Austin. Truly excellent.

Also had TX beer from Southern Star, 512, Circle, Deep Ellum, Real Ale, St Arnold, Petticolas, Independence and Rahr, most of it was decent, but they don't measure up to the best available elsewhere in the US.

Quite often, the best beers I tried in pubs were from out of state - had a Deschutes Obsidian on tap which was perhaps the best glass of stout that has ever touched my lips. Tons of interesting options on tap, quite a bit of variety, much moreso than bottle selections which seem more predictable/repeatable. A few of the different ones I came across on tap were Trois Pistoles, Stone Double Bastard, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, Deschutes Obsidian, Deschutes Hop Henge, Boulevard Chocolate, and New Belgium Cocoa Mole.

There are some decent beer stores in Texas, but again don't measure up to what is available in other states, and like I already said, the good stores all pretty much carry the same lineup. Texas has some bizarre label requirements that prevent many brewers from bothering to distribute there, but you can get most of the usual suspects such as New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, DFH, Deschutes, Moylans, Great Divide, Avery, Oskar Blues, Stone, Left Hand, Big Sky, North Coast, Left Coast, Clown Shoes, Victory, Widmer, Rogue, etc.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Has anyone tried any brews from the Co-op brewery in Austin called Black Star?
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

phirleh wrote:Has anyone tried any brews from the Co-op brewery in Austin called Black Star?
Nope, wasn't able to get there on this visit, but have heard good things.