Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What your choice of brew says about you!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

woodpecker

What your choice of brew says about you!

Post by woodpecker »

We all know about "body language" but what about "beer language"? Beer can say a lot about a person, and we asked what it was saying to you.

Check out the results here:
http://www.fastlife.ca/beer-survey.html

& a related story here:
http://www.canada.com/topics/lifestyle/ ... 42a7dfe6ce

Interesting but lacking of any CASK product. Some drink for thought the next time you step up to the bar to order though!

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

I don't get surveys like that. Its like asking which clothing brand makes you look more like a college douche, A&F, Hollister, or Aeropostale. Its all the same crap with negligible marketing differences.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

OMG i never knew that drinking Stella would make me Sexy, Classy, and popular. Thanks for the tips!

:D

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

It is amazing what marketing can do. Many Canadians believe Stella to be a sexy and sophisticated beer, whereas I've been told that in the UK it's commonly referred to as "wife-beater".

I think many people (none of which are on this forum) are more likely to regularly buy a beer based on the marketed image and perceived identity than on the actual merits of the drink. A little sad really.. but maybe no different than how many people purchase other items (cars, computers, etc)?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Ralphus, Stella is just as hyped in the UK as it is here. It's in Belgium that it's referred to as "wife-beater".

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

I have heard people from the UK call Stella "wife-beater beer" as well.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wifebeater! Sounds like a reference to Brando's Stanley Kowalski. "Streetcar" is an excellent movie.

"StelLaaa STEEELLLAAA!!!" :lol:
In Beerum Veritas

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:Wifebeater! Sounds like a reference to Brando's Stanley Kowalski. "Streetcar" is an excellent movie.

Bartowel is becoming far too sophisticated for my liking, Belgian, but surely you meant to say that Streetcar was a brilliant play? :wink:

Steve Beaumont

Post by Steve Beaumont »

Bobsy wrote:
Belgian wrote:Wifebeater! Sounds like a reference to Brando's Stanley Kowalski. "Streetcar" is an excellent movie.

Bartowel is becoming far too sophisticated for my liking, Belgian, but surely you meant to say that Streetcar was a brilliant play? :wink:
You would discount Brando and Leigh in the film. As Frank Magazine used to say, shurely shome mistake!

The "wifebeater" tag, BTW, is definitely English in origin and usage; I've not heard the reference once in all of my trips to Belgium or communications with Belgians. On a related note, Stella Legere is now being referred to in England as "babybeater."

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I thought the difference between the Regular and Legere, was that some of those horses had developed diabetes.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

It's most definitely a UK term, I've heard it used hundreds of times, it's even used in Ireland.

Wife Beater - Stella Artois, a British slang term based on the supposed behavioural effects of the drink