Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bar Towel 10th anniversary! November 4th @ Victory Cafe

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I'll probably be there from 7-9
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Looking forward to seeing everyone there. I've bought some classy "Hello" name stickers so we can all identify each other.

haelduksf

Post by haelduksf »

I'll be there around 10:30. I hope all you old-timers will still be awake :P

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

The better half and I will drop by at some point. Not sure when though as we'll be gobbling down some smoked meat at Caplansky's for dinner first. Must take advantage of the nice weather and proximity of the two places. :D
lister

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Caplansky's....mmmmmm...smoked meat....mmmmmm. I have eaten smoked meat all over the world (actually, only in Canada but all over Montreal)...this is without a word of a doubt the finest product produced in Canada...it tastes "smoked" whereas most smoked meats are barely distinguishable from corned beef or pastrami. Now I'm a big fan of San Francesco steak sandwiches next door and California veal down the street (and, for that matter, Bitondo slices across the street) but Caplansky's now often creates a tough choice between Italian sandwiches and great Jewish deli. We don't have a lot of good deli in Toronto since the Jews abandoned Spadina (Switzer's was a regular Saturday visit 35 years ago and made the best Romanian pastrami in Ontario and fabulous knishes). I think Pancer's is still around in Thornhill or somewhere but I don't venture up there too often. If you like deli, please, please go to the Monarch on Clinton below College and upstairs to where Caplansky's is located... you will never regret it....this was a paid advertisement.....

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I think this'll be our 8th visit there since opening back in the summer. For those that haven't been yet, pickling and smoking is in-house not done by a supplier, it's hand cut like Schwartz's but it's far smokier, has a slightly different spice mix and a house-made hot mustard instead of the usual yellow stuff. I love the stuff. Better than Schwartz's in my opinion.

Caplansky's does a poutine too with shredded smoked meat in it. Yum. There's also knishes with smoked meat, soups with smoked meat and a smoked turkey sandwich too.

Just be prepared for the usual suspects beer-wise. Steamwhistle is the best of the lot. I'm hoping that Caplansky's gets successful enough that the owner gets his own place and then we can work on him to get an awesome tap selection. Takeout is an option.

Oh, cash only.

Okay, pom-poms go away now. :D
lister

DougShoemaker

Post by DougShoemaker »

Thanks to Maz, Neil and the rest of the team at The Victory last night, for being splendid hosts celebrating the Tenth Anniversary of The Bartowel. Congratulations to Cass for his contribution to the Beer World, may it continue as long as You wish. It was very nice seeing the familiar faces and meeting some new ones too.

Thank You again, Cheers, Doug

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Was nice to chat & sip with some of you who took the trouble to drop in at the Victory.

Excellent place, too. The hosts seemed to be very attentive to our scattered comings & goings the entire evening - extremely nice of them, I thought.

See you around!
In Beerum Veritas

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Thanks to Maz and Neil for being excellent hosts. And thanks to Cass for running this site.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks everyone for coming out, it was a fun evening. Nice to see some of the familiar faces and meet some new ones.

Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

It was a great night, nice to put some faces to the names
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Would have loved to have popped in to say Hi and to celebrate but as I am currently "on the wagon", I wouldn't have been much fun. Happy to hear all went well :D

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Very fun night indeed. Good beer, good crowd and the already mentioned - great hosts. It was nice meeting some BT's for the first time. Congrats again Cass!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Darned Birthdays kept me from attending but here's to another 10 years!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I caught the tail end of the event (after Obama was already declared the winner). Nice to see the few of you I had time to chat with during my quick stop. Well done Cass...here's to ten more years.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.