Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Where do you drink your new beer?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ralphus

Where do you drink your new beer?

Post by Ralphus »

Let me throw out a scenario as it's one that I think we all hopefully find ourselves in with some regularity. You have returned home with a beer that you have been looking forward to trying for some time. The house has finally gone quiet and you're thinking about your latest find. This is no ordinary beer either.. the praise is unanimous and you went to some difficulty to acquire it. The question of course, is where do you drink it?

I'd love to paint a picture of myself sitting by a roaring fire with a pipe in my mouth and duvel glass in hand.. but I can't. It just wouldn't be true! I'm more often that not (and a little ashamed to admit it), right here, sitting at my kitchen table in front of a laptop!

What about everyone else?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i love sitting infront of the TV on my couch enjoying well made beer but more then anything i love sitting in my office in front of the computer with a pint of magic!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Good question! A lot of the new beers I try are at the bar, so Volo and C'est What are usually at the top of the list. When I have a new bottle I'll usually have it in my living room, while I'm talking to the wife... in fact she'll usually end up drinking a lot of it too. I like the environment - its nice and relaxing and the perfect setting for chilling with a new brew. I'll also throw on some music that I feel is appropriate to my mood. I'd never drink in front of the computer... I see enough of those damn things in the day!

woodpecker

Post by woodpecker »

in order of pref.

either:

- bring to a party to try and chat about.
- or at home, in front of the tv with friends around.
- if alone at home, while playing online poker.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sometimes, over the kitchen counter island, while I'm cooking dinner. There's good overhead lighting to examine the appearance, and I can try the beer in alternate glassware, or easily grab other beers to compare side-by-side.

I think I get the 'geek of the day' award for saying that, yes? :lol:
In Beerum Veritas

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

Ideally I would be at home, ass on the couch, feet on the coffee table, one hand holding my beer and the other hand holding the remote, and the fiance at the ready to pour me my next bottle. a man can dream can't he?

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

devonsleigh wrote:Ideally I would be at home, ass on the couch, feet on the coffee table, one hand holding my beer and the other hand holding the remote, and the fiance at the ready to pour me my next bottle. a man can dream can't he?
Ditto that!

Magni

Post by Magni »

Ideally, and usually I am in the kitchen, cooking up a scrumptious meal and enjoying some music, usually mozart or beethoven.
what can i say, i'm a sucker for the traditional.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I had some good times this fall drinking pumpkin beers while sitting out on my deck underneath the warmth of a patio heater - but the laptop was always there. I like to read about good beer while I'm drinking it!

D Derry

Post by D Derry »

Magni wrote: . . .and enjoying some music, usually mozart or beethoven.
what can i say, i'm a sucker for the traditional.
Like Magni, music complements my happy (hoppy--I couldn't resist) evening wind-downs, although I tend to the baroque and earlier. As I sniff my way through a heady chalice (alas, sans Ralphus's imaginary pipe), the elastics of my day slacken and my senses enliven. Needless to say, some nights I become a little "slacker" than others.

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

Either in the company of like-minded beer obsessives, for each of whom it is also a new experience, or sitting in my muskoka chair on my balcony overlooking the harbour, watching the sailboats and lovely skaters go by, small planes taking off and landing from the Island Airport (I'm a fan), notebook computer fired up, a couple of poker games going, listening to some blues and keeping one eye on the ballgame through the french doors. Did all of the above (sans ballgame) last Friday afternoon.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Sunday afternoon, with either NFL or golf on in hi-def depending on the season, and something tasty slow-cooking in the oven.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

HogTownHarry wrote:...or sitting in my muskoka chair on my balcony overlooking the harbour, watching the sailboats and lovely skaters go by, small planes taking off and landing from the Island Airport (I'm a fan), notebook computer fired up, a couple of poker games going, listening to some blues and keeping one eye on the ballgame through the french doors. Did all of the above (sans ballgame) last Friday afternoon.
Did you forget the cigar, the pizza slice & the 2 Swedes both named Inga?
In Beerum Veritas

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

HogTownHarry wrote:Either in the company of like-minded beer obsessives, for each of whom it is also a new experience, or sitting in my muskoka chair on my balcony overlooking the harbour, watching the sailboats and lovely skaters go by, small planes taking off and landing from the Island Airport (I'm a fan), notebook computer fired up, a couple of poker games going, listening to some blues and keeping one eye on the ballgame through the french doors. Did all of the above (sans ballgame) last Friday afternoon.
I can vouch that I have a) seen Harry do this and b) joined him doing it! Yes Harry - your balcony is heaven :-)

I love the like minded company when enjoying a beer, whether it be in someones home or in a bar.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm often one of the sad geeks that sits in front the computer. Though I often have a PVR window up as well... real-time is for chumps.
Last edited by Derek on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.